Made the switch from iOS, BB, WP, or webOS and need some help?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Making the switch from one OS to another can be quite a disorienting experience. I'll never forget the day I switched from Windows Mobile to Android. After years of WM use, I wanted to throw my new phone off the balcony. A week later, I was totally in love.

All it took was a little patience, asking questions in the forums, and an epiphany that I'd found an OS that provided endless possibilities that enabled me to customize a phone to fit my needs and style.

Enough of that - the purpose of this thread is to give new One X owners an opportunity to ask the how-do-I questions if you're coming from Blackberry, iOS, webOS, Windows Phone, etc...

And in case you haven't seen them, one of our Forums Advisers -- milominderbinder, has written up some awesome how-to posts on these topics here as well

Valdeck

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Made the switch from iOS, BB, WP, or webOS and need some help

I do not have a question but I wanted to say I love the idea of the thread. I have used everything but iOS at one point or another over the years and agree that if you ask the questions you will fall in love with android :)

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site

Thanks - very helpful thread.

I have a question on keyboards. I like the stock Sense 4 keyboard except for the incredibly annoying arrows at the bottom. If there is some way to remove those and leave the keyboard intact (without rooting the phone for now), I'd love to hear how.

I've tried several other keyboards - SwiftKey X, Smart Keyboard Pro, and TouchPal. My favorite keyboard (by itself) has been Smart Keyboard Pro - very fast, responsive, great key placement. However, it has like zero predictability - it doesn't fix any of the words I mispelled. SwiftKey has amazing predictability (although sometimes feels too smart, which can be annoying), and decent keyboard feel. TouchPal felt "laggy" to me. Do you have any recommendations regarding this? Should I just try to get used to SwiftKey? I heard the stock ICS keyboard is pretty good too - but not sure how to enable it.

Thanks very much.

DanR1974

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

Hi guys
I have a question. I'm just about to pull the trigger on this bad boy but I was wondering if anyone is using Mac to sync up with their droids? Our house is 100% Mac (and iOS ATM) based. I know I can get around the contacts, calendar things with my wife (who would like to remain iOS) but I'd like to know if anyone has been able to plug in the HTC One X and be able to transfer (sync) photos, music etc? I know I have a bunch of wireless apps to choose from on google play, just thinking for larger amounts of photos or video, may be better USB?

Thanks guys....love this website btw :)

Dan

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site

Dan - the One X can sync your contacts with Google Contacts, Gmail, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. You can do everything wirelessly, no need for USB. :)

I organized my contacts in Google Contacts (made the switch from iOS) before buying the One X, and then it was super easy to sync once I had the device.

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site

Another question: how can you create new albums, and move photos between albums? I don't want everything in my "Camera" album.

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site

Another question: how can you create new albums, and move photos between albums? I don't want everything in my "Camera" album.

Figured it out - just create a folder in the root drive and move pics into it, and album will pick it up. Awesome!

DanR1974

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

Neocryte ok cool knew google had a pretty easy contacts sync. How are you getting your photos from the phone to your computer? Wireless also?

Thanks

D

Valdeck

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

Thanks - very helpful thread.

I have a question on keyboards. I like the stock Sense 4 keyboard except for the incredibly annoying arrows at the bottom. If there is some way to remove those and leave the keyboard intact (without rooting the phone for now), I'd love to hear how.

I've tried several other keyboards - SwiftKey X, Smart Keyboard Pro, and TouchPal. My favorite keyboard (by itself) has been Smart Keyboard Pro - very fast, responsive, great key placement. However, it has like zero predictability - it doesn't fix any of the words I mispelled. SwiftKey has amazing predictability (although sometimes feels too smart, which can be annoying), and decent keyboard feel. TouchPal felt "laggy" to me. Do you have any recommendations regarding this? Should I just try to get used to SwiftKey? I heard the stock ICS keyboard is pretty good too - but not sure how to enable it.

Thanks very much.

If you want to use the stock ICS keyboard it is in the market as an app you can download and install. Once you install it you enable it in the keyboard settings menu like you did when you tried swiftkey. You can try out swype as well :)

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site

Oh I didn't know stock ICS was in the app store!! I will try that out. Eh, not a huge fan of swype - I am too used to typing. :)

DanR - yup, you can move stuff easily using DropBox (load onto DropBox from phone, download onto computer from DropBox) or just e-mail files too. Works great!

i4to1x

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I made the switch from an iPhone 4 to the one x and everything has been great! Only problem so far is I can't figure out how to turn off autocorrect. I went to settings and it won't let me select to turn it off. In the screenshot they are greyed instead of normal like the rest of the choices.

4cd9bd9b-f077-34c1.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Valdeck

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

I made the switch from an iPhone 4 to the one x and everything has been great! Only problem so far is I can't figure out how to turn off autocorrect. I went to settings and it won't let me select to turn it off. In the screenshot they are greyed instead of normal like the rest of the choices.

Click to view quoted image

Hey,

So I went into my options and noticed that they are grayed out for me to. My only real guess is that HTC for some reason decided to not let those be selectable options. Once we gain a easy root you could try rooting and seeing if that changes it or you can try using other keyboards in the market. Even if you do not stick with them it would be a easy experiment to install say swift key or the stock ICS keyboard and see if you can change those options in those keyboards. If you can then it is probably a arbitrary thing from HTC.

i4to1x

May 8, 2012
Visit site
That's pretty disappointing especially after everyone says these phones are so customizable. Didn't think I'd have to download or root just to turn off autocorrect. Thanks for your help though.

Lizzy-Pooh

May 4, 2012
Visit site

I'm having a hard time with my contacts. I'm coming from BB where I was able to link up my phone contacts with facebook and the pictures would show when I received texts or calls. In my one x the contacts are in 3 groups-gmail, facebook, and phone. It seems the facebook and gmail contacts have synced up, but it won't let me merge with the phone contacts. I've seen some posts on syncing with google contacts, but the only contacts that have synced are the ones that were already in my gmail. Any one have any suggestions?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

That's pretty disappointing especially after everyone says these phones are so customizable. Didn't think I'd have to download or root just to turn off autocorrect. Thanks for your help though.

But that's the beauty of it, if you don't like the options the keyboard gives you then try a different one. :)

I'm having a hard time with my contacts. I'm coming from BB where I was able to link up my phone contacts with facebook and the pictures would show when I received texts or calls. In my one x the contacts are in 3 groups-gmail, facebook, and phone. It seems the facebook and gmail contacts have synced up, but it won't let me merge with the phone contacts. I've seen some posts on syncing with google contacts, but the only contacts that have synced are the ones that were already in my gmail. Any one have any suggestions?

I'm assuming these contacts were stored on the SIM card? Are any of them duplicates?

Lizzy-Pooh

May 4, 2012
Visit site
They aren't on the sim card. Do they have to be? Is there a way to save all to sim instead of doing it one by one?

sparkomatic

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site

But that's the beauty of it, if you don't like the options the keyboard gives you then try a different one. :)

Agreed! I tried out the Swype keyboard and am using the SwiftKey 3 Beta. The SwiftKey one is really good. The stock HOX one wasn't bad but much prefer SwiftKey.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Just saved them all to sim...my bb didn't have that option so I was instinctually dreading it!

Ideally what you would do is get all of those contacts into Google. Then they will never go anywhere and will always be available to you. And it will keep the changes synced as you make them.

This first time you do it can definitely be a PITA, but in the end it's worth it. Then if/when you switch Android phones all your contacts will be on your new phone when you sign in to your Google account.