HTC RE, cracks at base, leaks

Ken-55

Feb 15, 2016
Visit site
Love this little camera, taken some great pics and videos BUT after a few days of underwater use on a recent Caribbean cruise vacation it developed a small crack near the bottom and died. (yes, I was using the protection pack cover)

HTC RE crack.jpg

Contacted HTC and they issued a pre-paid label to return it, offered a free replacement which came quickly BUT I'm concerned that this one will crack too. Anyone try taping around the lower end of the cylinder or some other type of pre-cracking protection? I wish they would beef up this camera, perhaps add a metal band like the one around the lens?

fsjon

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I'm on my 2nd one, bough the orange one, loved it so much and bough a white one back in June when it was on sale again.

I was packing to head out to the cottage last weekend and noticed my white one has a cracked in it similar to yours. It was barely used since I bought it. I'm doing the livechat with HTC now and they did not offer me a replacement. How did you contact them, was it by phone, email. livechat? They say it is a physical damage and will have to ship it to repair with a potential cost for the repair...

htc-re-issues

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I am on my 3rd HTC RE Camera that has had the same issues of the case along the bottom start cracking. The first 2 of them started cracking within a week, this 3rd one has made it about 3 months with very little use. I think an egg is less fragile.

Don't bother with the HTC support chat, try calling 1-866-449-8358.

Last edited by a moderator:

henrykrinkle

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Old thread, but having the same issue. This is my 2nd RE Camera (my son broke the 1st one) and, as much as I like it, will be my last. I purchased the 2nd on Amazon from a 3rd party seller in February, 2017. It was already showing cracks in April. I did a chat with HTC and submitted pics, proof of purchase, and then heard nothing. I emailed, again nothing. I called today and was told that my claim was rejected because I purchased from an unauthorized seller. Of course they didn't think to let me know that my claim was rejected - had I not called today they probably would have just ignored it.

I could press the issue with the seller via AMEX and Amazon but, honestly, it's not their fault and I don't want to cause them trouble. They sold me an unopened brand new camera for a fair price, as promised.

I love their products but HTC has absolutely the worst customer service department. I had a similar experience attempting to get replacements for the $50 Dot View cases which, like clockwork, break within a month or two. Some of the reps are fine but their policies and procedures are a joke.