I have gathered that the Mate 9 is not completely encrypted. I see no settings for encryption. I've done a little research and I've read something about the data partition being encrytped but I'm not sure I understood that information. It mentioned something about running into problems when rooting... not sure.

I asked on Amazon and got a response from Huawei USA that was not reassuring. It said they have a "vault" you can protect with your fingerprint and that it's a "safe phone."

Does anyone know if this phone is encrypted at all? If so, which part?
    01-14-2017 09:03 PM
    I say give XDA a try.
    01-16-2017 08:59 AM
    What did you find out about this?
    01-16-2017 08:49 PM
    I have learned that the Mate 9 is definitely not entirely encrypted. There's a good chance none of it is encrypted. It does let you create an encrypted space on the phone. It appears you may be able to encrypt your microSD card though.

I am in the assessment phase of this phone. It works amazingly well. It's a really great phone. I have this small concern that it's a Chinese phone and it might not be repspecting the privacy of my data. What if it's like the Blu phones that sent data to China on a regular basis? I installed two apps that track communication between the phone and servers to see what comes up. So far, it's just found a couple apps communicating within the U.S. and nothing unexpected.

I also need to think about how important it is to me to have an entriely encrypted phone. I went without for years until I got my 6P. I know there is this big debate over encryption. I'm planning on sticking with this phone for about a year. I'm still thinking.
    01-16-2017 09:02 PM
    I have learned that the Mate 9 is definitely not entirely encrypted. There's a good chance none of it is encrypted. It does let you create an encrypted space on the phone. It appears you may be able to encrypt your microSD card though.

I am in the assessment phase of this phone. It works amazingly well. It's a really great phone. I have this small concern that it's a Chinese phone and it might not be repspecting the privacy of my data. What if it's like the Blu phones that sent data to China on a regular basis? I installed two apps that track communication between the phone and servers to see what comes up. So far, it's just found a couple apps communicating within the U.S. and nothing unexpected.

I also need to think about how important it is to me to have an entriely encrypted phone. I went without for years until I got my 6P. I know there is this big debate over encryption. I'm planning on sticking with this phone for about a year. I'm still thinking.
    What's China going to do with your data? All phones/computers in the US are being spied on by the government anyway.
    01-20-2017 05:01 PM
    If you're online there is no privacy, chances are you are being spied on even if you're offline. The government even listens to landline calls.
    01-20-2017 05:05 PM
    US government has told their employees to stay away from Huawei.
    04-21-2017 03:41 PM
    Really? Was this publicly stated?
    04-21-2017 08:45 PM
    US government is BS. They are the one doing the monitoring. If you believe what the Feds say you are really gullible​.
    04-22-2017 07:01 PM