A few annoying settings on the Huawei P20 Pro

para05

May 26, 2016
Visit site
I was just hoping someone could tell me whether there's a way to fix these annoying things on my new phone as I never had the issue before. First, every time I use certain apps, I get a notification to warn me that the app is displaying over other apps and I can select the notification to disable it. Can I disable this warning appearing as I'm already aware of what it's telling me and don't need to be notified constantly.

Also, even with the sound turned off, sometimes I get a message pop up to tell me that an app changed sound to vibration, yet it still makes a sound, and it tells me I can manually adjust the volume to recover sound. Again, I don't want to be told about this every time and annoying, it still makes a sound even though my sound is turned off and it's telling me the sound was changed to a vibration.

Finally, the notch settings are annoying. With the notch turned on, it obviously cuts a notch out of whatever is displayed. I would have thought that turning the notch off would cause full screen apps to begin below where the notch ends, but no. It just cuts a portion of the display off instead. So with Instagram stories for example, it cuts off the timer bars completely.

Is there any way to change these things? Any advice would be appreciated.

grecner

Jul 18, 2018
Visit site
Finally, the notch settings are annoying. With the notch turned on, it obviously cuts a notch out of whatever is displayed. I would have thought that turning the notch off would cause full screen apps to begin below where the notch ends, but no. It just cuts a portion of the display off instead. So with Instagram stories for example, it cuts off the timer bars completely.

Is there any way to change these things? Any advice would be appreciated.

What annoys me about the notch is the fact, that the status bar is effectively shortened and the icons are extremely small, so I can not even read them.
I hoped that turning the notch off would place the status bar below the notch, thus allowing for bigger icons and more space, but instead it only blackens the background of the status bar and everything remains the same.

What you posted is clearly a bug that has to be corrected.
There should be per app notch behavior setting on Android 8 under developer options, which could fix your problem with Instagram, but I can not find it on P20 pro EMUI 8.1 :-(

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
What annoys me about the notch is the fact, that the status bar is effectively shortened and the icons are extremely small, so I can not even read them.
I hoped that turning the notch off would place the status bar below the notch, thus allowing for bigger icons and more space, but instead it only blackens the background of the status bar and everything remains the same.

What you posted is clearly a bug that has to be corrected.
There should be per app notch behavior setting on Android 8 under developer options, which could fix your problem with Instagram, but I can not find it on P20 pro EMUI 8.1 :-(

What annoys me about the notch is that even when you switch to landscape there's a simulated notch there and it still doesn't show notifications in the center.

welshsteve

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I have just got the P20 Pro and it is extremely annoying that something as fundamental as the ability to apply different ring tones to SMS and email is missing. I don't particularly want to use a different messaging app just for the sake of being able to adjust the notification sound. The Gmail app does not have a setting that allows you to specify a notification sound, nor does the stock email app (apart from VIP contacts you have to setup which is just daft), nor does the stock messaging app.I'm not a social media user, but the vast majority of people are, and in this day and age to not have the ability to specify different tones for different notification is just crazy. Surely Huawei are aware of this?

storvay

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I have just got the P20 Pro and it is extremely annoying that something as fundamental as the ability to apply different ring tones to SMS and email is missing. I don't particularly want to use a different messaging app just for the sake of being able to adjust the notification sound. The Gmail app does not have a setting that allows you to specify a notification sound, nor does the stock email app (apart from VIP contacts you have to setup which is just daft), nor does the stock messaging app.I'm not a social media user, but the vast majority of people are, and in this day and age to not have the ability to specify different tones for different notification is just crazy. Surely Huawei are aware of this?

Hi, have a Mate 10 Pro but this should work for your P20 as well, apologies if you've tried this and it doesn't!

Gmail app > settings > General settings > manage notifications > press on 'Email' under the email account you're looking to make the change in (that is, click on the left hand side, NOT on the button to the right - totally unintuitive) > sound

Should be able to alter your sound from there.

I'm not so sure about the messages app in the P20 but on my Mate 10 it goes like this:

In messages app, press the three dots at the bottom (’more') > settings > ringtones and vibration > notification tone

Last edited:

grecner

Jul 18, 2018
Visit site
No change in EMUI 9. The option to turn the notch off still only makes the status bar background black, but everything remains the same.
I would strongly prefer third option, which would leave the notch surrounding all black, and move the status bar below the notch, which would enable for using the whole display width for status bar, and also allow to make it wider, so that I can read the displayed status icons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress