iPhone True Multi-tasking

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Just a quick question I'm sure someone here can answer for me without wanting to fight. Does the iPhone have true multi-tasking. What I mean is when an app is closed and goes into the background on an iPhone is it still actively running or in some suspended state. Now I know if it is an application using gps is does, but what about everything else.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick question I'm sure someone here can answer for me without wanting to fight. Does the iPhone have true multi-tasking. What I mean is when an app is closed and goes into the background on an iPhone is it still actively running or in some suspended state. Now I know if it is an application using gps is does, but what about everything else.

From what I have been told an read... it does not. It basically stays in limbo in the background (which is using minor RAM for memory of where you were) but It will not continue to load or update while in the background.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
From what I have been told an read... it does not. It basically stays in limbo in the background (which is using minor RAM for memory of where you were) but It will not continue to load or update while in the background.

false, some apps use an API that lets them run in the backround for 15 min extra.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
false, some apps use an API that lets them run in the backround for 15 min extra.

"running" and "continue to load while doing something else" are two different things.
I may be wrong ( I hinted this as I wrote "from what I have been told and read")
so you are telling me that an iphone will continue to load a webpage while doing something else?

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Well looks like I learn something new daily. But Im going to just go on a limb here...
I assume it doesn't work as well as androids? since you have both....

You are correct sir. It's not even close. My iPhone was in my drawer. I had to put it on the charger so it would turn on lol.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
"running" and "continue to load while doing something else" are two different things.
I may be wrong ( I hinted this as I wrote "from what I have been told and read")
so you are telling me that an iphone will continue to load a webpage while doing something else?
Yup

- - - Updated - - -

You are correct sir. It's not even close. My iPhone was in my drawer. I had to put it on the charger so it would turn on lol.

Old iPhone?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
With the RAM and processor update on the iPhone 5 I would be surprised if they're not working on this and/or getting ready to release it with the next iOS. But it is correct that as of today, multitasking doesn't exist in the context you indicated.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not to old it's a 4S. I was a huge iPhone fan until the 5. And I had just had it. Apple tried to play me like an isheep. Same phone bigger screen no real improvements.

On that I disagree. The internals on the IP5 as opposed to the IP4S were the first time I was actually impressed that they decided to try to modernize. The software though was pretty disappointing. I'm really hoping in 2014 they bring some better game to the table because it helps us all when the bar gets raised and lately Apple is struggling to keep up.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
On that I disagree. The internals on the IP5 as opposed to the IP4S were the first time I was actually impressed that they decided to try to modernize. The software though was pretty disappointing. I'm really hoping in 2014 they bring some better game to the table because it helps us all when the bar gets raised and lately Apple is struggling to keep up.
Yeah the hard ware was a massive upgrade, I think it was one of the first-if not the first to use a custom chip based of the A15 architecture. As a true Apple fanboy I cannot tell you how badly I want them to wow me with iOS like they did when I got my 2nd gen iPhone.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to old it's a 4S. I was a huge iPhone fan until the 5. And I had just had it. Apple tried to play me like an isheep. Same phone bigger screen no real improvements.
The 4S-5 was a massive upgrade.

- - - Updated - - -

The 4S-5 was a massive upgrade.

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
You guys are confusing the size upgrade with the software. The 5 is unmistakably a beautiful device. But I can get a beautiful 4 inch and bigger screen on android any day of the week. HTC One anyone? It's the software that did it for me.

My bad though I should have been more specific.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You guys are confusing the size upgrade with the software. The 5 is unmistakably a beautiful device. But I can get a beautiful 4 inch and bigger screen on android any day of the week. HTC One anyone? It's the software that did it for me.

I think I was agreeing that the software remained stale but the ram/processing power/gpu were improved.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

No I am talking about the specs.
It has faster RAM then the S3(and presumably then the S4)
One of the first devices to base SOC on A15 architecture
More saturated display
1GB of RAM(That's a lot for iPhones)
Uses a completely new GPU
Thinner
LTE
Lighter
Better battery life
I don't under stand how its a small upgrade?

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm talking software. I put in my last post I should have been more specific. Hardware wise yea it's great. But it still the same crap different toilet at the end of the day.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non