Google Keyboard invisible text in personal dictionary

mzman

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I just started with Google Keyboard on an HTC One M9. I have a problem with invisible or blank text showing up when trying to add to my personal dictionary. Everything seems to be working fine with the keyboard, except for the personal dictionary issue. The dictionary opens just fine, and I can click the '+' to add a word. However, anything I type on the line moves the cursor but types blank (or invisible) characters!

I've tried reinstalling the keyboard, and this is a nearly new and fresh phone and Android install.

The dictionary sync settings are grayed out, with an explanation that sync is unavailable on phones with Google Apps for Work accounts, which I do have. Could that be the source of the problem? I would expect that I could still have a Personal Dictionary, but that it just wouldn't sync.

I'm blown away that I can't find anyone else with this problem using Internet searches. Any ideas?

Or, is there a workaround? Can I add a custom word to the dictionary while typing somehow?

Thanks.

mzman

May 3, 2013
Visit site
...one more thing. Although I have a Google Apps for Work account on the phone, I also have an ordinary Google account. I would think the sync could be done through there and allow the feature to function? Is there a bug here somewhere?

dyphx

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem. The text is there, you just can't see it. Try selecting the text (long press). It's not a fix, but at least a work-a-round.

mzman

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info. This is not a criticism towards you....

I don't consider this a viable workaround. I have no idea why there are seemingly two rows for an entry, what they are meant to represent, or how to correctly select entries to verify they are there. It's like telling someone in a pitch black area that a workaround is available - just use your hands and feet to make sure you don't run into a dangerous object or walk off a cliff. It works if you know what objects might be there or what the terrain is like. Otherwise, good luck.

Does anyone know if Google is aware of the problem and working on a fix? Does it actually work correctly for anyone?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non