Will non-flagship phones be receiving Android Lollipop (5.0) OTA?

DroidTechSki

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so the last phone I purchased was a Samsung Galaxy Ring (Stock Android 4.2.1). I had been using the phone for two years (I rooted it, of course.) and I realized that the android version was so old that I was outdated of everything after the year of owning it. (The phone was slow and buggy before rooting it and I hated it completely and felt that I needed to upgrade.) I was 13 at the time, and I desperately needed an android phone. (I make my own money and pay my own bills - tough but I get by.) So I saved up money. Now I am 15 and I went phone shopping. (The old phone had to be force reset - for the 10th time.) I picked up something from Metropcs - An Alcatel Fierce 2 with Stock Android 4.4.2! Awesome - an up-to-date phone. (I knew about 4.4.4 but it's close enough.) But then - I saw a news article about the new Android 5.0. I asked the guy I bought the phone from at Metro if they do OTA updates for it. He said they might but they would get it a few weeks after launch. Now I'm hearing it will only come to a few flagship phones and has already arrived for Nexus devices and Moto G and Moto X. I really want this update!

Will non-flagship phones (such as Metro PCS Alcatel Fierce 2) be receiving Android 5.0 over the air?

And if not, is it possible to install it without losing data and having to setup the whole phone again? (I have a sim card with this one. And I could back it up - HOWEVER I haven't rooted it yet, I plan to. I have a micro-sd of 32gb.)

****I AM FULLY AWARE THAT LOLLIPOP IS NOT OUT YET FOR DEVICES - BUT I AM ASKING THOSE WHO HAVE LOLLIPOP OR A NEXUS IF ANDROID LOLLIPOP CAN BE FLASHED ON OTHER DEVICES ONCE LAUNCHED OR IF IT CAN BE OTA. Android listed T-Mobile to be receiving the update - HOWEVER I am on MetroPCS but T-Mobile owns Metro.***

[edited by Moderator]

THE QUESTIONS I AM ASKING: Have you guys had any experience with Metropcs or AT&T? Do they do major OS updates to the devices they sell OTA? Would Lollipop be available to flash on any device? What makes my device different from others?

[edited by Moderator]

Help me out here!

Last edited by a moderator:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The phone will receive it if the manufacturer decides to develop it. That said, most top-line manufacturers will support a device with major OS updates for ~18-24 months after after it was originally released to the market.

For the record, not only flagship phones are getting the update, Motorola has the OS out for their 2014 Moto G line already, that's not exactly a flagship.

If you want to root and put a 5.0 ROM on it, you're at the mercy of the fine folks over at XDA to decide if it's worth developing a ROM for the device, unless you want to figure out how to do it yourself.

I'm not intending to offend you here but Android 5.0 was hardly news yesterday, you might have done yourself a lot of good to have done a little researching and visited a few sites like this prior to making your purchase decision. I've been burned by making an "impulse" buy before, now I do my research before making a major purchase.

DroidTechSki

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
When I heard about Android Lollipop - It was beta. I was more interested in Kitkat. I did TONS of research on kitkat. It was just bad timing. I am satisfied with the device - I wasn't burned I'm enjoying it immensely, however I just don't want to be left in the dust and be outdated.

Also, Wouldn't I just be able to flash lollipop to my device? I'm sure creating a separate rom for my device would be TONS of work and would need a vast knowledge of android coding - correct?

And I guess flagship was an overstatement, you are right on that one. But would Metropcs really supply this major OS update?

Thank you so much, Hallux!

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Really? Not even explaining why, how, nothing. Just no. Thanks. That was no help at all.
I can only speculate, but xban1's reasoning is probably that your Galaxy Ring is two years old and still has 4.2.1 - not even 4.4. If Samsung hasn't updated the phone to 4.4 at this point, it is extremely unlikely that they would spend time developing 5.0 for it. I agree.

DroidTechSki

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
To Hallux: I get what you are saying. This wasn't an impulse buy, I knew what I was getting into with Android 4.4.2. However people at XDA are developing custom roms for my device. I also knew about Lollipop but I wasn't great at the time. I've already done to much research on Kitkat to care about Lollipop. Also, have you had any experience with Metropcs or AT&T? Do they do major OS updates to the devices they sell OTA? Would Lollipop be available to flash on any device? What makes my device different from others? Thank you so much for answering!

To Everyone else so far: GUYS JUST READ. I do not use the Galaxy Ring anymore. I now have the Alcatel Fierce 2 which is running stock Android 4.4.2. I want to know if it is possible in the future if I could get Android L ota with Metropcs or if I can get it by flashing it.

What makes my device different and why can't I just flash any rom on it? I am still relatively new to Android. I'm 15, I'm still learning and educating myself on the coding of the OS.

colyn1353

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
NO! I said that I dumped the Samsung Galaxy Ring and got an Alcatel Fierce 2! DID YOU GUYS EVEN READ???

You're at the mercy of both the carrier and phone maker. If they decide to update it, you'll get it if not the answer is no.. You might try googling the phone to see if there is a hint of development... To be honest I don't see this phone getting it though since this is a budget priced phone..

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I will stay away from your questions in the future if that's the kind of response I get from trying to help you. Good luck.

In his defense, he said in the first post that he no longer had the Ring, that he had a different phone now. You would have known that if you read the entire post (as I did).

Posted via Android Central App

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
In his defense, he said in the first post that he no longer had the Ring, that he had a different phone now. You would have known that if you read the entire post (as I did).

I did read his entire post. I just somehow totally forgot the later part by the time I responded. The thing is, I spent time reading his post and answering it. Yes, I made a mistake, but I'm not mature enough to take that response calmly without saying anything. Maybe I should have ignored it instead.

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Okay so I was in the same boat as you I was 13 at the time now 14 going on 15. And I purchased the Samsung Galaxy Ring, absolutely hated it the battery was horrible on all three brand new models. So after some more sucky phone except for my Zte Awe on Virgin Mobile I finally decided to do myself some research and found out that the best phone for me was the moto g which I'll include some pictures of the device on three different network for three different prices. Now back to the topic I'm hoping that you'll get a developer to make a lollipop ROM that's stable and works and I looked for thread on XDA Developers website and couldn't find it, but I think if you give it time Alcatel might just update it because it basically has the same specs as a moto g so you have a pretty good chance of seeing the update either through OTA or ROM. Also if any of these Moto G's fit into your budget and coverage area I think you should at least consider buying one I have the boost version and absolutely love it!!! The first 2 are from Walmarts website and the last is from Cricket. Feel free to ask me any questions I help if I can!!

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 4953.jpg
    4953.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 4954.jpg
    4954.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 4955.jpg
    4955.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 38

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
As a reminder, from the forum rules :

P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38