IS the Android 5.0 manual update safe?

Amanda Teaca

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
android 5.0 manually update safe?

Hi! i ve been waiting for a while for the android 5. 0 update for the galaxy s5 but i still dont know when it will come out in romania. so i am asking if it is 100% safe to manually update my phone and if there s any chance that i might damage my galaxy s5 doing that. thanks

jaleelhamid

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: android 5.0 manually update safe?

Not as long as you do it the right way. As in know what your doing. I manually did mine. Had to wipe out my whole phone to do so thought but was worth it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

It's safe if you consider bugs safe. I wouldn't install it on my phone.

And it's only safe if you install the Romanian version. If you install a version for another country (or a different Romanian carrier), your phone may stop working in one way or another.)

About th only thing you'll definitely gain from 5.0 is the Material Look (which you can get by installing Material Look apps). What you might get, and it depends on the model phone, since each model seems to be getting different bugs, is anything from an annoying change to a phone that doesn't work at all. What you probably won't get is any radical improvement in operation. (5.0 is a "marketing release" - they had to release something, so they released it, even though it was far from finished.)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

It looks like there is a couple Romanian variants out for 5.0. You need to make sure you install the correct version. You need to download it by region code. I think you can find it in the baseband version in Settings>about device. Once you do that, you can flash it using a PC program called Odin. This may wipe your device, so back anything up you don't want to lose.

You can try a different method. You can use a PC program called Kies, which is a Samsung PC program that should be able to install this as well. Kies can be downloaded from Samsung's website.