File transfer to PC has changed in Marshmallow

UrDroid

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I just discovered that file transfer to a PC works differently now in Marshmallow. Previously I could just connect the USB cable and see the phone's storage as a drive.

Now the phone seems to default to "charging only" whenever connected to USB, and if you want to do anything else you have to swipe down to see the "USB connected" notification (which I had no idea was even there), tap it, and select an action like "Transfer Files" from the menu.

How convenient.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
The way it should be working is:
connect the phone to the computer
unlock the security screen
accept the connection from the computer
verify the connection is MTP.

If your phone is not remembering the MTP part, check your phone settings to see if you can set the default connection to MTP.

UrDroid

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
It's unnecessarily mysterious. Nothing appears on the phone screen when the connection is made, not even a status bar icon, which is why I wouldn't have known to swipe down to see a notification about the connection type; I found that searching online, described as standard for Marshmallow. It defaults to "charging" every time, and has to be tapped for a menu of other options including MTP. And there is no setting anymore for anything about a USB connection on this Droid Turbo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa