How to make Oreo notifications behave? Nougat had better usability there.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

After updating to Oreo, I can't prevent notifications from appearing in top bar anymore, and I can't see their settings in the list, I need to open each app settings to see its setting.

I found that if app has notification categories, then you can set category importance to "low" and it prevents top bar icon from appearing, notification just silently appear in the drawer. However, if the app doesn't offer categories, then there is no way anymore to prevent the icon. Am I missing something?

Also, is there a way to see the settings for each app in the list? In Nougat, I had "blocked" or "Doesn't show in lock screen, doesn't show in top bar" line below the each app name in the list. Now I don't anymore.

(also, not sure if that's Oreo functionality or OxygenOS 5.0.1 for my Oneplus 5 that came with the Oreo)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You posted this in the Nougat forum -- would you like me to move it to the Oreo forum instead, since you're asking about Oreo features?

Just to be sure: when you talk about notification categories for an app, are you talking about that app's own menu (i.e., when you open the app and then tap Menu)? I would go to Settings>Apps (i.e., the system settings), select the app there, and look for the App Notifications category. Turn the switch off, and that should block notifications completely from the app.

Can you give an example of an app that doesn't have an App Notification category in the menu?