Backup & Restore on Android Phones

anon(10434727)

Apr 4, 2018
Visit site
After a success backup, restore operation from SD Card (when required such as after rebooting the device) dose not restore the contacts list. I have experienced it several times. Is it a known problem with Android 4.3 or just my device (ZTE Z933 Android 4.3)
Thanks,
KHALID MAHMOOD
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Last edited by a moderator:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Backup & Restore on Android Phones

1, Rebooting (causing the operating system to restart) doesn't require a backup. Reflashing the ROM may (definitely will in Jelly Bean).

2. Evidently you didn't back up the contacts. About the only way you can do that is to export a file from the app itself. (However, if all your contacts are Google contacts, they're all at Google Contacts and will resync automatically, so you don't have to back them up.

Your problem may be a known problem with the way you did the backup. Some backup apps back up contacts, some don't. (Contacts and texts are in database files, and most backups read the file, then save it in xml format on backup, and read the xml file, store to the database file in restore - and that's asking a lot of most "developers" - most of them wouldn't be able to tell the difference between SQL and Urdu, and an xml file would look like garbage to them.) Since all my contacts have always been Google contacts, I've never experienced the problem, but when I see it on a phone I'm working on, I export the contacts, delete them all, then import the file as Google contacts (and make sure that Backup Contacts, in Accounts/Google, is enabled).

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

Android 4.3 is REALLY old, and I don't think the current Google Play Services framework works on that device (or the latest version supported on that device is no longer supported by Google for connectivity to online services). I can't say it's a "known" problem as that version of Android is VERY old (in terms of a mobile OS) but if the contacts were not stored on the device and were instead just cached from a server sync, you may not have a local copy backed up.

I'll see if anyone else has thoughts. I do advise that you should not post your phone number on the forum.

anon(10434727)

Apr 4, 2018
Visit site

thanks, appreciated. No worries, I had a back in another format and restored using blue tooth transfer from my Nokia Symbion phone. It is just inconvenience. One would wonder if it is ok to rely to backup and restore feature of Android.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa