"The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected."

Manamoor

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I had this problem, but I figured out why in my case it wasn't working. I had transferred a music file to my phone (Galaxy Note 3) and then tried to copy an Excel file to the phone, which resulted in the "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected." Scoured the web and tried everything (except formatting the SD card; mostly because I couldn't transfer the Excel file to the internal storage as well). Then I thought, for tickles and grins, why not add an mp3 extension to the Excel file? Well, it worked!!!! I then used Windows explorer to remove the .mp3 extension from the file on THE PHONE and it let me rename it. Next, I verified on the phone it was a valid, readable file, and it worked.
It's too late right now to see what other file formats can and can't be copied, I'm falling asleep at the wheel here. But perhaps someone else in the crowd will know what this means and just maybe know where to fix this problem.

I cannot believe that worked. I just slapped .mp3 on a folder and it copied it over like nobody's business. I was trying to transfer the TitaniumBackup folder to my phone to no avail. Thanks!

Otter Bob

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
This is a really simple fix actually.

1: Disconnect your phone from the PC.
2: Unlock the lock screen on the phone.
3: Connect the phone to the PC.
4: Start the file transfer before the screen locks.

Done! Hope this helps!

leechgod27

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The problem is MTP mode! it doesnt allow copying incomplete or corrupt files. Just copy that file in Mass transfer mode. You can use a card reader for external SD cards or mounting in recovery for internal SD.

bbacher

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Here's what worked for me:
1) right-click the file in Windows
2) click Properties on the popup menu
3) click the Advanced button
4) UNcheck "File is ready for archiving"

After doing that, the file copied to my phone without an error.

JohnT88

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Honey BE: "Then I thought, for tickles and grins, why not add an mp3 extension to the Excel file? Well, it worked!!!! I then used Windows explorer to remove the .mp3 extension from the file on THE PHONE and it let me rename it. Next, I verified on the phone it was a valid, readable file, and it worked."

Fixed the problem for me! Had a .mkv for that wouldn't transfer, it works now - didn't even have to remove the .mp3 from it!

Kal1069

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
I came to this thread via a Google serach for my issue which turned out be be exactly the same as people are describing here. I tried a lot of the suggested fixes recommended in this thread and nothing worked. Then I tried something different and VOILA... success.

Here's how I resolved the issue with my phone.

I plugged my phone into my computers USB. The phone started to "charge" as soon as I plugged it in. In the top righthand corner of my phone I could see my "battery indicator" that tells me it was charging. Then I swiped downward from the very top of my phones screen and I got a little notice that said USB FOR FILE TRANSFER which I double tapped on and it brought up a Menu that had the following Choices.

USE USB for...
-Charging only
-Transfer Files (MTP)
-Transfer photos (PTP)
-MIDI

My phone was set for "Charging only" which is why I could not transfer any files... so I just set it too "Transfer Files" and VOILA I was finally able to transfer the files.

It would also be important to know that my phone was still charging while I was transferring files so I just left the settings alone after that.

Hope this helps someone.

1MikeG

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I would have never thought the cable would make a difference but it did. I received the same error as OP on my Samsung Galaxy S7. After copious trouble shooting with drivers and the phone itself, it was simply the specific cable I was using with my front panel USB 3 connector. I plugged the cabled into a back panel USB 2 connector and it worked fine. I tried another cable on the front panel USB 3 cable and it also worked fine. When I try the same original cable and front panel USB 3 connector again, I get the error every time.

Crazy.

RippoZippo

May 16, 2016
Visit site
i think its no. of files u r storing in a directory
change the folder that will work

Premkumar, I think this answer is one of the basic solutions to this problem. Don't get me wrong, there are several things worth trying in this thread. I've tried most of them. But I suspect that many of the solutions mentioned here didn't actually solve the problem, but were tried simultaneously with a change of directory, which was the true solution. Maybe I'm wrong, but changing from my Download to my Docs folder worked for me. Thanks!

jort40

May 24, 2016
Visit site
OK guys, after hours of working out different possible solutions I've come to a basic conclusion. This is an issue caused by Moto G's root protection of default folders in the device, meaning you can not copy or move data through default folders already present in the memory.

First, disable screen lock, password lock for the time being, if your phone locks out, the transfers seems to stop in MOTO for some weird reason. Make sure to enable USB debugging from developer options(Settings -> about phone -> scroll down to phone build -> tap 7 times -> return to settings). Next thing, what you do after installing necessary drivers( you can get them here - Moto G USB Drivers (WinXP/7/8/10 32Bit-64Bit… | Moto G) on your PC is go to your phone and change the USB mode to either MTP(media transfer Protocol) or PTP(picture transfer protocol). Next, you go to the internal memory drive which would be now available on your PC, get inside that drive, access the media transfer folders and make sure to create a NEW FOLDER within it. Now you can copy all your files to that newly created folder without any errors. Ensure the folders or the files that you intend to copy are not locked by windows(right click -> properties). Using USB 2.0 or 3.0 is a non issue, both works in this method. Hope this helps.

Jim_OC

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Here's what worked for a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I also loaded the Samsung driver for my phone on the PC but I don't know if that is necessary. I copied from two other posts to save time.

Go into your settings, about device, and tap build number 7 times to turn on developer options. Then, back out and go back in settings. You will see a menu for developer options that wasn't there before. Check the Stay Awake toggle, and most importantly check the USB debugging toggle.

I plugged my phone into my computers USB. Answer "allow" for your computers RSA address. The phone started to "charge" as soon as I plugged it in. In the top right hand corner of my phone I could see my "battery indicator" that tells me it was charging. Then I swiped downward from the very top of my phones screen. Tap on "USB charging" and select "File Transfer".

Now copy your files from Explorere. Say “transfer anyway” if Windows gives a warning, some nonsense about only media files as I was copying contacts (vcf).

Very bizarre and I'm not impressed with Samsung after my Motorola Droid Maxx.

Last edited:

FidelisCastro

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi!
I had this problem with my Xperia M, and here is what worked for me:
there is an application that's called 'USB-connection' or something like, that's responsible for the USB communication on android.
From the settings you can access it's page, and see it running. I forced it to stop, then deleted the data. Afterwards I connected it to the PC, and worked fine.

hitmeister

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I was getting the same thing. Not only that, but when I opened this one particular folder, Windows would take time to "think" about it, and then it would display the list folder names followed by a list of hard drive icons. I'd never seen anything like that before.

There were two folders I'd recently created that were acting strangely. They were there on the SD card, but when I tried to access them on the phone, they didn't display.

I was able to fix the problem by connecting the phone to a different computer. On that computer, I didn't get the error message, and I deleted the two new folders. After that, everything worked fine.

Charley Garrett

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I noticed something that may be relevant. When I clicked on the folder on the PC side of the connection, it only showed one mp3 file. So, I tried to refresh the folder by copying music that I thought went "missing". But if I use a file manager app on my Motorola Droid Turbo 2, I see that the file I was trying to copy was actually already there. My player apps could see the mp3's, including the most recent one, the one that was the only one showing in the folder on the PC file explorer side.

Why wouldn't all the music in that folder be visible, I wonder?

thebigizzy

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
I just had this issue - this trick helped! Literally just had to drag the top toolbar of my phone down to see the USB option, click it, and change the settings to file transfer.

After I did this, the phone folder closed and reopened on my PC. It actually loaded all my folders and files that time around, so try this if you have issues!

This is where I got the idea from.

https://youtu.be/j9LzT959Udg

Last edited:

MMark67

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
Ok i did this .... I unplugged the Moto X4 from my Pc and turned off the Phone and removed SDCard and cleaned the gold bits of the card on a cloth and reinserted card and now music folder is loading to card with no problems .
I guess this will be done a lot in future.