Using Google Voice on my LG G3. I have a question on incoming calls

SJMaye

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I used GV for several years, however when I bought a new phone I ceased using the service (I have experience with the service). Now, a year later I decided to restart using GV and ported my cell number to them. Upon completion of the port I called my service provider and was given a random phone number for my phone.

Everything is working fine with my G3 using the GV app. My issue with is calls coming in for the previous owner of tha trandom phone number I was given. I can tell this because they only ring on the phone dialing app and not on GV.

I use the GV app exclusively and have no need for the phone's dialing app. I thought I could delete or somehow disable the app, but it is not even listed under applications. I just want the calls to that random number I was given to stop and see no way to do that.

Does anyone have an idea?

SJMaye

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Just looking up the numbers they appear to all be spam. I get even more texts from spammers to the previous owner of this number as well. I see no way to shutdown those apps. I was looking for a switch to block all calls. No such thing.

I don't fully understand Google Voice. What I believe happens is they call my GV number. It is forwarded to the service number assigned to my phone from my carrier. Only the GV app rings with the call. If someone calls the service number it goes directly to my phone and only the phones dialing app rings.

As for texts, I think if they text my GV number it goes directly to my GV app. This way the text is not counted against my plan. If they text the service number the texts go directly to the default text messaging app.

I am not getting alerts when you reply. The sunscribe box is checked. Not sure what is going on.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which wireless carrier do you have? Some carriers have decent spam/robocall blocking services.

SJMaye

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Hello, B. Diddy. Sorry, again, for the late reply. I still don't get alerts and I forget about my posts. I know I have the alert box ticked. Not in spam either.

I use Red Pocket Mobile on the Verizon network. I since I was on an MVNO I did not know if I could use Verizon blocking services.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I used GV for several years, however when I bought a new phone I ceased using the service (I have experience with the service). Now, a year later I decided to restart using GV and ported my cell number to them. Upon completion of the port I called my service provider and was given a random phone number for my phone.

Everything is working fine with my G3 using the GV app. My issue with is calls coming in for the previous owner of tha trandom phone number I was given. I can tell this because they only ring on the phone dialing app and not on GV.

I use the GV app exclusively and have no need for the phone's dialing app. I thought I could delete or somehow disable the app, but it is not even listed under applications. I just want the calls to that random number I was given to stop and see no way to do that.

Does anyone have an idea?

I've noticed quirks lately with Google Voice not being as reliable as I usually felt. Not really adding much to helping you unfortunately.

The point is that I'm finding it doesn't seem as useful or supported by Google as it used to be, for me at least.

SJMaye

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I wanted to come back and let you know of a workaround I have found. I noticed when calls came in for the carrier number the phone OEM phone all would open, but when I got a call to my GV number the GV app opened. I looked for a way to disable the OEM phone app to no avail. I did find I could forward calls. I simply set it to forward all calls to a call rejection phone number. Works great. Now, the phone only rings when someone calls my GV number.

Question- I tried to do this for my wife's older model LG G3, but her OEM phone app was different. It did not offer call forwarding and I could not find a way to update it.

Is it possible to install a different phone app to replace it?

Poolman55

Feb 4, 2021
Visit site
If you are currently using the LG dialer you should be able to download the Google dialer and then make it the primary app. Then try to use your settings.

SJMaye

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
If you are currently using the LG dialer you should be able to download the Google dialer and then make it the primary app. Then try to use your settings.

Shows you how much I know of these phones. I thought the oem dialer could not be changed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress