LG G3 Wireless Qi charging

spgiva

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
So I have seen a lot of mention in amongst other broader threads about charging the LG G3 over a wireless Qi Charger. As of yet I have not seen any links to a supported Qi charging back cover. Thought I would make a devoted thread to the Qi charging issue.

I am hoping someone finds a Qi supported back for the US LG G3 soon. (I became addicted to wireless charging with G2 and I don't think I can go back

SPG
LG G2, verizon
(awaiting my LG G3)

AppleTraitor

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
There are qi charging backs on eBay but for the Korean model. I'm curious to know if those would fit. Has anyone tried one yet?

Posted via Android Central App

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
There are qi charging backs on eBay but for the Korean model. I'm curious to know if those would fit. Has anyone tried one yet?

Most of the listings that I have looked at have explicitly stated that they are not compatible with the American version of the phone.

spgiva

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Just read through some of the QA on the verizon page for the G3 and their are questions about Qi charging. The one answered by a VZW employe (although not the clearest language) seems to indicate that the verizon G3 will support Qi charging, but not sure if this is out of the box or with a separate cover. I posted a question their, I will see if it gets answered.

"When I compared the G3 to the G2 and the S5 on the phone comparison page, it says wireless charging is included, not optional. Is that true?

Staff: We appreciate your question about the wireless charging. To clarify, there will be an option for standard charing in addition to wireless charging for the G3. - Sherita_VZW"

Poptarts

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Just read through some of the QA on the verizon page for the G3 and their are questions about Qi charging. The one answered by a VZW employe (although not the clearest language) seems to indicate that the verizon G3 will support Qi charging, but not sure if this is out of the box or with a separate cover. I posted a question their, I will see if it gets answered.

"When I compared the G3 to the G2 and the S5 on the phone comparison page, it says wireless charging is included, not optional. Is that true?

Staff: We appreciate your question about the wireless charging. To clarify, there will be an option for standard charing in addition to wireless charging for the G3. - Sherita_VZW"

My guess is, if it's the same as the Sprint phone, the phone "supports" Qi, it just doesn't have the functionality out of the box. The Sprint version, in the US at least, needs a specific replacement back or case with an induction coil in it and doesn't come with one ... I think it stands to reason the same is likely true of the Verizon version as well.

Matt

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Since ATT only sells the PMA back, I guess we wait for Verizon and Sprint to release their Qi backs and see if those work.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Someone in another thread already has the VZW G3. I asked him to upload a picture of the back, and no, it doesn't support Qi out of the box. The VZW cover only has 2 prongs for the NFC, not 4 for NFC and Qi. The good thing is that all 4 prongs on on the phone, we just need someone to sell the back.

Post #294 http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g3/394634-lg-g3-verizon-12.html

Denisej

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

I did a chat session yesterday on the Verizon Wireless website and when I asked the question "So will it work with a Qi charging mat and the battery cover that comes with the phone?". The rep replied "absolutely!". FWIW....

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
My concern with the ATT version is will the Qi back work and did they slaughter it like they did the 1520 where qi would only work visa hardware hack. Just because ATT has the prongs doesn't mean it will work for Qi cases.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Check out this comparison shot of back-plates. The Verizon version is like the one in the middle, which should be compatible with the International back-plate because the spaces of the pins are correct. Pay attention to the pins on the phone piece and compare them to the pins on the D855 model.

qipicture_zpsa25771a4.jpg

127137d1405114601-lg-g3-verizon-20686.jpg

And check this shot of the back-plate you can buy for the D855 which supports wireless charging. Looks like it would work. LG G3 D855 Battery Door Gold

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Check out this comparison shot of back-plates. The Verizon version is like the one in the middle, which should be compatible with the International back-plate because the spaces of the pins are correct. Pay attention to the pins on the phone piece and compare them to the pins on the D855 model.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg20/lmcgarvey/public/qipicture_zpsa25771a4.jpg
http://forums.androidcentral.com/attachments/lg-g3/127137d1405114601-lg-g3-verizon-20686.jpg

And check this shot of the back-plate you can buy for the D855 which supports wireless charging. Looks like it would work. LG G3 D855 Battery Door Gold

On your second picture, see that the cover only has 2 of the 4 gold prongs? That means that it will not work with a charging mat.

Now the link you provided for the back plate does have the 4 prongs and should work. Thank you for that!

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Since that's the European Version, I don't know if it'll work or not. There's been a lot of people saying ti won't work, but I don't know why it wouldn't. Should be the same phone, right? I might have to try one. Even at $50, it's worth it if it'll work. If not, they need a good return policy. I'll have to check into it further...

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Since that's the European Version, I don't know if it'll work or not. There's been a lot of people saying ti won't work, but I don't know why it wouldn't. Should be the same phone, right? I might have to try one. Even at $50, it's worth it if it'll work. If not, they need a good return policy. I'll have to check into it further...

It should work as long as your phone (not the cover!) has the same pin layout as pictured in the Verizon Rep's photo above (my bottom picture). The only thing up for questioning is the way it fits on the back of the phone.

If you look at that website I liked with the case-backs, it shows the same kind of "spread out" pin layout for Sprint, AT&T and International models. So I don't know what is going on there exactly, and I am unable to find images of Sprint, TMobile and AT&T versions of the phone opened up to see if they are similar or different as far as the pin layouts on the phone part.

Also, please take a look at the picture below of what the author calls " a pre-production unit from Korea." This is exactly what I was thinking the US models would look like, but apparently Verizon's is not. See the four pins? They are too close to each other. This is the type of phone that will absolutely not work with the battery covers i linked to earlier.

LG-G3-review-41-620x484.jpg

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

It should work as long as your phone (not the cover!) has the same pin layout as pictured in the Verizon Rep's photo above (my bottom picture). The only thing up for questioning is the way it fits on the back of the phone.

If you look at that website I liked with the case-backs, it shows the same kind of "spread out" pin layout for Sprint, AT&T and International models. So I don't know what is going on there exactly, and I am unable to find images of Sprint, TMobile and AT&T versions of the phone opened up to see if they are similar or different as far as the pin layouts on the phone part.

Also, please take a look at the picture below of what the author calls " a pre-production unit from Korea." This is exactly what I was thinking the US models would look like, but apparently Verizon's is not. See the four pins? They are too close to each other. This is the type of phone that will absolutely not work with the battery covers i linked to earlier.

http://cdn.gottabemobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/LG-G3-review-41-620x484.jpg

That company that sells the backs is shown to be in Dallas. I'm going to contact them A: See if they have the backs, and B: if so, go there with my phone when I get it and see it it'll line up.

asics10

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
A bunch of people at xda have purchased qi enabled case backs and they are unable to charge on the AT&T variant. Thinking att crippled any wireless charging that isn't pma.

brewzer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
A bunch of people at xda have purchased qi enabled case backs and they are unable to charge on the AT&T variant. Thinking att crippled any wireless charging that isn't pma.

Damn it, we all knew that was possible but hoped AT&T wouldn't be a bunch of assholes and disable Qi. :mad:

overzeetop

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know if the output from Qi vs the Powermat receivers is substatially different, or if they both just supply a +5V and ground across the pins? If it's the latter, couldn't you hack in a Qi receiver and add copper foil and dielectric tape, adding "traces," to shift the pin locations on the back?

jkimrey

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
So does at&t or anyone else for that matter sell a compatible charging dock where you can set the phone upright (and not just lay it down on the charging pad)?

OJMBrooklyn

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, I can now confirm that the LG Quick. Circle case being sold by Verizon and Sprint stores DOES NOT ADD QI wireless charging. There are no prongs whatsoever inside the case back. The Sprint and Verizon versions are identical and the case back simply snaps over the phone with the original back in place. It dies not replace the original back. If TMo doesn't have one, we have to look to online retailers....or eBay and hope the pins match up.