Moving from HTC One M8 to LG G3

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I've finally had it with all the lag I'm enduring,so I'm making the switch to LG. Pretty drastic for me, because I've had HTC on Sprint going back to the old Hero (with the stubby chin). I do have a couple of questions, though:

1) I currently have a 64 GB micro SD card in my One. Can I just insert that in the new phone without having to reformat, or would I be better off clearing it?

2) One of the features I really liked on HTC Sense was the Home Sense widget. I liked how the apps showing on that page could vary based on whether you were at home, work, or out. Do you know if there's anything comparable to that on the Play Store? Is really part of HTC's sick Sense Launcher, but it just seems like a good idea.

I know there are some other launchers out there that vary the home screen based on location or time, but I'm not sure I want to go that far. I'm looking forward to seeing what the G3 offers on its own.

3) Speaking of that, how do you like the overall LG experience on the G3?

I should have the phone by the middle of next week. Have already begun looking through the LG site to soak it all in.

Thanks!

HiiPower

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Your switching to a G3 from an M8 because of lag issues? That's something you don't hear often. What kind of lag is on your M8 that you think will not be on the G3?

Posted via the Android Central App

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
It is a bit surprising that the M8 would be lagging - I mean it's the same chipset as the G3 and from what I understand the HTC Sense is pretty "lightweight" so this is surprising. Did you try a factory reset? Anyways - the G3 rocks so no ragrets.

1) I think the SD card should be fine to use.
2) I think I remember hearing of launcher that feature of showing apps based on location or time of day etc.
I know of Cover which is a lockscreen replacement which does this - maybe not exactly what you want, but a similar function: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.coverscreen.cover&hl=en&token=ui5Iv5MK
3) I actually am very happy with the G3 software. Since my first Android phone (Galaxy S1) I've been running AOSP based ROMs, but I have really no complaints with what LG did and it has some features I really have grown to love like Dual Screen, Knock On Code etc..Of course I use Nova Launcher on top so I get the best of both worlds.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
It is a bit surprising that the M8 would be lagging - I mean it's the same chipset as the G3 and from what I understand the HTC Sense is pretty "lightweight" so this is surprising. Did you try a factory reset? Anyways - the G3 rocks so no ragrets.

1) I think the SD card should be fine to use.
2) I think I remember hearing of launcher that feature of showing apps based on location or time of day etc.
I know of Cover which is a lockscreen replacement which does this - maybe not exactly what you want, but a similar function: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.coverscreen.cover&hl=en&token=OXShUu_9
3) I actually am very happy with the G3 software. Since my first Android phone (Galaxy S1) I've been running AOSP based ROMs, but I have really no complaints with what LG did and it has some features I really have grown to love like Dual Screen, Knock On Code etc..Of course I use Nova Launcher on top so I get the best of both worlds.
I have done everything from clearing cache partition to a factory reset, but nothing seems to work. It seems to lag more when the phone syncs, and it hangs up syncing. Not sure if it's related to 5.0.2, software, or a combination of both. It happens on network and on wifi.

So I shouldn't have to wipe my card first? That'll be nice. I don't have a lot on my card, but it'll be one less step.

I'll miss the speakers on the One, too, but honestly, I didn't use them much. I think I'd rather use the real estate on the device for extra screen space.

I also used the Peel smart remote for controlling TV. I expect I can use that on the LG, right?

jigna27

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I went from m8 to g3 and there's definitely more stutters on the g3, whereas the only drawback w the m8 (and ultimate reason I switched) was the camera.

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I went from m8 to g3 and there's definitely more stutters on the g3, whereas the only drawback w the m8 (and ultimate reason I switched) was the camera.

I've have completely 0 problems with my LG G3 32GB on Sprint with 5.0.1. It works flawlessly and I absolutely love the camera. What version and carrier is yours on???

Posted via the Android Central App.
Boost Mobile Moto G (4.4.4)
Or The Sprint LG G3 (5.0.1)

Last edited:

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I've had completely 0 problems with my LG G3 32GB on Sprint with 5.0.1. It works flawlessly and I absolutely love the camera. What version and carrier is yours on???

Posted via the Android Central App.
Boost Mobile Moto G (4.4.4)
Or The Sprint LG G3 (5.0.1)

The camera is what I'm most looking forward to on the G3. Looking forward to having image stabilization for it.