How can I download the current version of Android to my Verizon LG G3?

A

AC Question

I have a Verizon LG G3 (VS985) but I am using it on the T-Mobile network. I have a very old version of Android (4.4.2) and am trying to update to Marshmallow (6.0). According to the Verizon page, this has been available since last year, but was never updated on my phone, perhaps since I am not on the Verizon network. When I click on check for updates, the phone says it is up to date and no update is necessary at the time. I went to T-Mobile and called Verizon and neither one could help. Any ideas? Thanks!

Feldon

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
You'll need to have the phone working on Verizon's service to upgrade. I'm not sure what all is involved in that.

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Can you install the LG Software Assistant. If you kept your phone stock, it will be in your autoplay when you connect it to the PC. Maybe that will allow you to update. I don't root phone's, so I don't know how to get you to Marshmallow from rooting. But I am sure you can.

Posted via the Android Central App

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
That's an interesting idea from KeepItReal.

Idea I had was - find someone who has a Verizon SIM - pop it in and try to grab the update - pop it back out.

or failing that try posting the question here: Verizon G3 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting

Would be easy to fix with a root + flash (which is how I got 6.0) but smarter people there may have another way.

rcrew9

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Would be easy to fix with a root + flash (which is how I got 6.0) but smarter people there may have another way.
Is yours a Verizon phone? The G3 I just got appears to be rooted, and I would like to put 6.0 on it without having to go back to stock and put up with all the Verizon and LG bloatware.

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I just flashed the 6.0 official VZW ROM found here: VS985 46A - Stock Flashable Firmware | Verizon LG G3

I then ran the debloat script found in post number 3 on this thread which removed all the junk from LG and Verizon I didn't need. This combined with XPOSED modules one can get a damn smooth and customizable/capable G3. I'd definitely suggest reading a bunch - backing up and reading some more before trying anything.

You can also try other AOSP based ROMS - I just want to keep the G3 camera stock and I enjoy the dual window mode. As long as you are careful and back up and follow direction to the letter you should be fine.

rcrew9

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Read a bunch is right! Bootstacks? Yeah, it may be a while before I get to upgrading. Would it be wiser/faster/easier to unroot my phone (if that's even possible) to get the stock Marshmallow update then root the phone again and debloat it? I use the phone on Verizon Prepaid, so I don't need most of the Verizon stuff, but LG's dual window and screen-tap-to-lock features are nice to have.

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's terribly hard but certainly not Nexus-easy - do you have a custom recovery installed? That would be the first step. If you do you'd make a full Nandroid backup and then follow the steps on the thread:

Make sure you have a backup in case anything goes wrong.
If you aren't already using it, flash the 35B bootstack zip (link above).
Wipe data & cache in TWRP (do not wipe internal storage unless you have the install zip on an external sdcard)
Flash the VS98546A FW zip below. DO NOT swipe the prompt in TWRP to install SuperSU. TWRP doesn't see SuperSU because it isn't in system, but it's still rooted. Also, the phone will reboot twice after flashing. This is a normal part of the systemless SuperSU install.

Then I immediately flashed the debloat script from here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=32406
" 1.VK810.4G_36B_00_and_VS985_46A_debloat-all_(included_everything_below)_EXCEPT_still_has_OTA_and_apps_affected_by_Xposed.zip"
and then
"2.VK810.4G_36B_00_and_VS985_46A-no_OTA.zip"

I think if you back up it's worth a shot - the phone is running like a dream for me atm. No issues or complaints - very happy.

That being said - unless you need root terribly grab the OTA - I don't know that they've been able to root 6.0 yet, but nerds find a way.

Julie VS

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I'm not quite expert enough for some of these, but will definitely back things up and see what I can do. Thanks!

rcrew9

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's terribly hard but certainly not Nexus-easy - do you have a custom recovery installed? That would be the first step. If you do you'd make a full Nandroid backup and then follow the steps on the thread:
I don't think I do have a custom recovery. The phone was wiped before I got it, which is why I was curious what SuperSU was, as I had never seen that before.

I think if you back up it's worth a shot - the phone is running like a dream for me atm. No issues or complaints - very happy.

That being said - unless you need root terribly grab the OTA - I don't know that they've been able to root 6.0 yet, but nerds find a way.
The only reasons I would want root would be for bloatware removal, individual permissions (which I think 6.0 takes care of?), and some battery management apps that require root since this thing seems to chew through battery life like it's a starving stray dog that just found an unwrapped steak outside a grocery store.

I take it I can find Nandroid in the Google Play Store?

Last edited:

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
If you had a custom recovery - and to flash any ROMS or scripts you'd need one (I like TWRP myself) - check XDA for updated info but this site has videos which are sometimes easier to "get". CWM/TWRP Recovery | LGG3Root.com

Once you had a custom recovery you would boot into the recovery and from the recovery you do a full backup called a "Nandroid" backup - once you have this backup you can at any time return your phone to the state it was in when you made the backup. It's like a Save Game in a video game - you can save and then go crazy and try a bunch of other ROMS and you can always just hit the reset button and go back to how it was.

rcrew9

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
If you had a custom recovery - and to flash any ROMS or scripts you'd need one (I like TWRP myself) - check XDA for updated info but this site has videos which are sometimes easier to "get". CWM/TWRP Recovery | LGG3Root.com

Once you had a custom recovery you would boot into the recovery and from the recovery you do a full backup called a "Nandroid" backup - once you have this backup you can at any time return your phone to the state it was in when you made the backup. It's like a Save Game in a video game - you can save and then go crazy and try a bunch of other ROMS and you can always just hit the reset button and go back to how it was.
Now that is right up my alley!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mehammed