Brown leather Vs Black leather....Choice???

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Some people expect all leather to feel like suede, and that isn't the case.

Tmobile's feels softer because it isn't dyed. It is the same leather and it is tanned the same way.

I had both side by side today at the T-Mobile store and they do feel differently but not by much.

The biggest detraction for the tan T-Mobile one will be it showing stains. I know that it can be cleaned,but I would be more worried about that than the little bit of difference in the feel between them TBH.

Posted with my awesome LG g4

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Some people expect all leather to feel like suede, and that isn't the case.

Tmobile's feels softer because it isn't dyed. It is the same leather and it is tanned the same way.

I had both side by side today at the T-Mobile store and they do feel differently but not by much.

The biggest detraction for the tan T-Mobile one will be it showing stains. I know that it can be cleaned,but I would be more worried about that than the little bit of difference in the feel between them TBH.

Posted with my awesome LG g4

I just expect leather to feel like leather, not suede. The black one feels like cheap plastic. I don't want a suede phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused. You seem to be under the delusion that there is a choice other than the gorgeous, classic, and sophisticated black leather...

Nathaniel Kemp

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I have the T-Mo brown leather, and checked out the black at Verizon. I was not as impressed with the quality of the feel. Depending where you live, the brown leather may be tough to get. In the US it is a T-Mobile exclusive, while the other carriers have the black.

Don't worry about carrier. Choose whatever carrier is best for you. I have the Verizon G4 in black, but bought the brown leather back on eBay. I like both. Rocking brown now, but could always go back to black.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Black sucks ive had both. I got the black on verizon and took the phone back and then went to Tmobile and got the Brown tmobile version. Its night and day difference. It has a leather smell and feel. Black is totally fake

The black is not fake its just a different texture leather. The brown is nice but its a little to light for me. More like a pumpkin orange. As far as grip they are both about the same after time.

Posted with LG G4 via the Android Central App

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
The black is not fake its just a different texture leather. It also has some coating on it that makes it look plasticky. The brown is nice but its a little to light for me. More like a pumpkin orange. As far as grip they are both about the same after time.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
One thing that may come onto play. I researched having a pure bumper for my leather back (ie not clear plastic on the back). The reviewers were saying that the brown colour was "plumper" than black causing the various cases not to fit as well. Not sure if that matters.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The brown leather feels the best and offers the most grip. Unfortunately, it's not very durable. There are some guys who have brown leather covers that have stained corners and small amounts of damage.

The black leather (the one I have) has a different texture and feels smoother and also offers less grip than the brown one. However, it is very durable. I've yet to damage it even by taking it off my case every week, minus a small wear mark on the inside of the cover, which is pretty much invisible once it's on my phone.

caffeinated pants

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I would make the choice between brown or maroon / dark red, if that is available to you. I was initially considering the dark red but eventually settled on the brown. I think both of those are very nice indeed. As far as I can tell, they are all genuine leather backs, so they'll age over time.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
The black is not fake its just a different texture leather. The brown is nice but its a little to light for me. More like a pumpkin orange. As far as grip they are both about the same after time.

That's how I feel. I wanted a brown leather back to interchange with the black depending on whether I was wearing dark or light tones for the day, but once I saw it, the brown was too light for my taste. Astonishingly, the "red" filled that role perfectly. I personally prefer it over the brown by a mile, and think it should be considered by anyone looking for a "brown" back.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I would make the choice between brown or maroon / dark red, if that is available to you. I was initially considering the dark red but eventually settled on the brown. I think both of those are very nice indeed. As far as I can tell, they are all genuine leather backs, so they'll age over time.

Yes, the red is quite striking IMO. BrownLeatherBack.jpg

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
For brown, I have the genuine leather Pierre Cardin case. It smells like a new baseball mitt and I think looks really nice. It's not the same as having the actual back of the phone leather, but I also am more a black guy than brown anyway, so for those times I want the phone brown, It's fine. Adds a bit more protection, too.

Only about 15 bucks, and also comes in black and red. They're everywhere (Amazon, eBay) and shouldn't be hard to find.

missouriexile

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a minimalist case covering the back (to protect the camera lens)
So I haven't seen the need (or use) of the leather back. It's a shame but I can't risk having the lens scratched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87