Battery Charging: How to identify USB vs AC vs Quick Charge?

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
My wife just got the LG G4, and is really liking it so far. We're on Verizon.

I've read a lot about the charging issue, and know this will vary with the charger, the cable, the phone, etc.

On my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, if I'm plugged into a lower power source, it shows "USB" charging when I go to Settings...Battery. If I'm plugged into the Wall with the charger and cable it came with, it will show "AC." This is very helpful in determining which car charger and cable will give the best performance.

I have looked all over her G4, and cannot find anyplace that it identifies whether it's on "USB" or "AC" charging, and certainly not when it's doing "Quick Charge." Is this information obtainable on the phone, and if so, where? And if it's not, any low overhead App that will provide this information?

Thanks.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't have a notification for QC, probably because it doesn't really have it. If it's USB, it will tell you in the notifications that it is charging slow.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
What do you mean by "it doesn't really have" QC? My understanding is that it does indeed have QC 2.0, but they only announced it fairly recently.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean by "it doesn't really have" QC? My understanding is that it does indeed have QC 2.0, but they only announced it fairly recently.

There's a thread below this one with us comparing our g4s with our non-qc devices and we aren't seeing a difference despite the qc chargers having the correct light showing. LG is still keeping quiet and ignoring everyone on Twitter.

-Posted via the Android Central App on my LG G4-

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

They may have announced it but it's not active. The thread here and a lengthy one at XDA tell the story. It doesn't charge to the QC 2.0 spec.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I'll look for the "slow" notification, which should help identify good/bad chargers and cables.

As for the 'official' QC 2.0, I've read about the uncertainties in the past, but was under the impression that LG's announcement that it was compatible and supported this spec ended that.

I did just order both quick charge supporting chargers for both car and home, and will see what I can find out.

sata

May 2, 2015
Visit site
The bundled charger does not support QC 2.0

Any recommendations for a G4 supported QC 2.0 Charger, to buy separately?

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The bundled charger does not support QC 2.0

Any recommendations for a G4 supported QC 2.0 Charger, to buy separately?

I just ordered these 2 items:

Anker Home AC Charger:

Amazon.com: Anker 18W USB Wall Charger with Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 Technology for Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge, Note 4 / Edge, Nexus 6, HTC M9, Xperia Z3 / Z2, Moto X and More (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Ivoler Dual Quick Charge 2.0 Car Charger:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4483824

They're supposed to be delivered today, and will test them out.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Well I sure hope they get QC sorted out. I have a set of eBay home and car quick chargers in the mail.

I have been trying to figure out how quickly the phone charges, etc. And I'm still scratching my head. I have GSam installed, and added Battery Monitor Widget last night.

BMW seems to show - current (mA) value when charging, and + when charging, which seems counter-intuitive. The included charger seems to charge at higher-current (over 1A). But my eBay 2.1A charge adapters (even when using the LG cable) seem to max out closer to 0.5-0.7A. And sometimes they are barely actually charging at all, or in fact actually discharge (like charging overnight, which has happened twice now).

I don't know if it's my other chargers all performing poorly, or something with my phone. I was very interested to see how QC performed, but now I'm a bit nervous. I have an eye on my 14-day return window.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I haven't even opened/used the bundled LG charger. So it's not that. I bought and use an Anker QC charger specifically for this G4. It charges quickly, but it's about the same speed as my Nexus 5 charges honestly. It's nothing crazy like what people claim QC is supposed to be. And I've tried it twice with the battery below 50%. Once at 5%, once began at 30%. The light on the Anker is green indicating QC, but the speed of charge on the phone is not QC.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I haven't even opened/used the bundled LG charger. So it's not that. I bought and use an Anker QC charger specifically for this G4. It charges quickly, but it's about the same speed as my Nexus 5 charges honestly. It's nothing crazy like what people claim QC is supposed to be. And I've tried it twice with the battery below 50%. Once at 5%, once began at 30%. The light on the Anker is green indicating QC, but the speed of charge on the phone is not QC.

Interesting. Thanks for the post.

gaddang2

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Imo it's fast with the stock charger. Plugged it in about 10 minutes into watching Numbers on Netflix, and it went from 7% to 60% within 35 to 40 minutes. I'm gonna pick up a quick charger soon and see if there's any difference.

Posted via my Verizon Ceramic White LG G4

Attachments

• 2069.jpg
    2069.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 34

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch