Lg g4 - heat!

mattdamiz85

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Man this thing heats up. Throw in a hot climate, hot car, and a turbo charger and you could cook an egg on it. Not to mention the charging slows to a trickle. As good as the camera is I'm going back to my nexus 6 and selling this two faced beast. Some days I love it. Others I hate it.

Posted via the Android Central App

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Mine gets extremely hot the longer my screen is on, but I need the brightness turned op to see the screen properly. Also, the processor (top back of the device) heats up when gaming. (I've been doing that a lot lately.)

mattdamiz85

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Both. It only bothers me because it causes slow charging. But I guess the way around that is to always have a spare battery charged. 😎👍

djh2011

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I had 2 G4s and ended up returning both because of various issues. But I keep looking at it hoping there are fixes coming. Walked in Verizon store yesterday and played with a G4 with the leather back. I took 3 pics with the camera and the screen was so warm it was unreal. That was the reason for returning the second one. I used the camera on vacation and it got so hot I couldn't put it to my face to make a call.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
The Google Play Services fix highlighted in the Common Issues sticky fixed the problem for me. In my case, the phone would get very warm in my pocket while I wasn't even using it. Google Play Services would show near the top of the list for battery usage and my battery level would plummet the entire time the heat was there (not surprisingly). After uninstalling Google Play Services updates, clearing the data and reinstalling the updates, it works much better.

Aside from an odd issue I have with GPS location search occasionally getting stuck running (I think I might start a separate thread for that issue). The battery standby usage is very good with this phone (after I fixed the Google Play Services issue, of course).

-SR-

Jax112

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
The GPS causes alot of my heating issues. The fitbit app running the tracking program along with listening to podcast my phone gets very warm...but as soon as I shut them down phone gets cool again....just my experience

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
The GPS causes alot of my heating issues. The fitbit app running the tracking program along with listening to podcast my phone gets very warm...but as soon as I shut them down phone gets cool again....just my experience

Interesting; I was just talking to a friend last night who has an iPhone 4s -- he was saying that when he was up north (and in Canada, up north really means up north!) his phone would get very hot when he was making a phone call or doing any sort of non-WIFI communication. I think that a lot of the time heat and battery performance issues can be helped by looking at and tweaking location services and apps that need to use those services. The Access Lock trick (check out the threads noted in the Common Issues and Solutions sticky) can help by turning off location services for apps that don't really need them, but that definitely has its limits. Other things you can do are: reducing synching, set your Location settings to "battery saver" (non-gps) mode, switch off WIFI when you're not near a WIFI router that you want to use (Tasker can be a great help), switch of LTE/3G when you're in a rural area that doesn't support it -- basically make it so that your phone doesn't have to do as much work in less than ideal situations.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Another possible cause for my phone getting hot (something that was still happening to me on occasion after the Google Play Services fix, but not as much) could have been the "Advanced Calling" option (as Verizon calls it). This is basically Voice over LTE, also known has HD calling. I turned it on to see what it was like (my wife has an iPhone 6, which also has this). The call quality was definitely better than the usual cell phone audio. In any case, I left it on, but then I noticed when I have a weak signal, particularly a non-LTE signal, my phone was getting quite hot and losing a lot of battery. I turned of the Advanced Calling feature and now it seems better behaved in low signal areas.

When I get this phone to behave well, the standby battery life is outstanding, even with location tracking and high accuracy GPS turned on (and all the Google Now bells and whistles like parking location logging and traffic info). But my big beef is that it just occasionally goes haywire and drains the battery very quickly. I can always tell because it gets hot in my pocket. A restart will usually fix it, though. I just wish I knew what triggers it.

-SR-

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Another possible cause for my phone getting hot (something that was still happening to me on occasion after the Google Play Services fix, but not as much) could have been the "Advanced Calling" option (as Verizon calls it). This is basically Voice over LTE, also known has HD calling. I turned it on to see what it was like (my wife has an iPhone 6, which also has this). The call quality was definitely better than the usual cell phone audio. In any case, I left it on, but then I noticed when I have a weak signal, particularly a non-LTE signal, my phone was getting quite hot and losing a lot of battery. I turned of the Advanced Calling feature and now it seems better behaved in low signal areas.

When I get this phone to behave well, the standby battery life is outstanding, even with location tracking and high accuracy GPS turned on (and all the Google Now bells and whistles like parking location logging and traffic info). But my big beef is that it just occasionally goes haywire and drains the battery very quickly. I can always tell because it gets hot in my pocket. A restart will usually fix it, though. I just wish I knew what triggers it.

-SR-

That occasional drain / heat is not normal. Culprits could be synching or location settings. Check out the access lock stuff in the Common Issues and Solutions sticky. Try out disabling your synching.

sata

May 2, 2015
Visit site
The first time my phone heated up and gave me a warning was when I used the camera for quite a bit, in a very hot day (about 37C) to shoot some insects, while being in direct sunlight.

After a while being in the sun with the phone and shooting, it felt pretty hot to the touch (the front, and also the back), so I went back inside and charged it, thats when I noticed the warning that charging is temporarily stopped due to high temperature.

Then, I had to let it cool down for a bit, and continued to shoot, but then it went hot after a shorter time, probably because I didn't let it cool down long enough.

I don't use it for many other things except calling and messaging and some other apps, that's while being in my house, so I wouldn't know if mine gets hot in other conditions as well.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The only time my phone gets pretty warm is when browsing the web on Wi-Fi/LTE with brightness over 50% on a hot day and when gaming, both of which are normal.

GTS21

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

-SR-

Mine does EXACTLY the same thing

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinrshay1984