G4 teardown

Bruce39

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Planning on getting a G4 this Saturday (giving my Note 3 to my daughter). Have been trying to learn as much as I can about the G4. A website I have gone to is "ifixit.com". A very interesting site, has "how to" videos & articles about fixing almost any electronic device. I did not see a video about G4 but there was a teardown of a G4 with pictures of the procedure & simple x-rays of various components. It seams like it would be relatively easy to repair any part. He only used a #0 or #00 phillips screwdriver & various picks, no part was soldered. The only problem was the screen, which probably could not be removed (entire top would have to be replaced.
After removing the motherboard all other parts (camera, headphone jack, etc) could all be replaced relatively easily.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Planning on getting a G4 this Saturday (giving my Note 3 to my daughter). Have been trying to learn as much as I can about the G4. A website I have gone to is "ifixit.com". A very interesting site, has "how to" videos & articles about fixing almost any electronic device. I did not see a video about G4 but there was a teardown of a G4 with pictures of the procedure & simple x-rays of various components. It seams like it would be relatively easy to repair any part. He only used a #0 or #00 phillips screwdriver & various picks, no part was soldered. The only problem was the screen, which probably could not be removed (entire top would have to be replaced.
After removing the motherboard all other parts (camera, headphone jack, etc) could all be replaced relatively easily.
iFixit game the G4 a repairability score of 8/10, with 10 being easy. I didn't see a video either, but their step by step instructions along with photos are usually well laid out for reference if you decide on repairing or replacing components. Here's the page for reference: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/LG+G4+Teardown/42705

Bruce39

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for giving the link (I don't think about things like that). Somewhere on the site I saw a reference to a video. It may be on "youtube", they have videos on almost everything. Ifixit also sells tools (kits or individually) for almost any repair.