Photography advice

dazkil2103

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Is their an optimum setting for taking photographs of children. If child moves arms and legs I seem to get a blur? Could be normal but didn't seem to get same on S6
c426ea4e51ad1f9f51501de49ab7e01b.jpg

missmotta

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi. I think it may be because you're not using the flash and the child's hand was moving very quickly. I found this to be the case when shooting live music. Perhaps you can try using the manual mode and set the ISO I bit higher and the shutter speed a littler faster, over 60sec. Did you shoot this in auto or simple mode?

missmotta

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I would say that it's normal for this motion blur to occur,unfortunately. If you're shooting indoors the auto shutter speed will be a bit slower to get in as much light as possible. This also will make movements more apparent. If you were shooting in a brighter setting, say, outdoors, and still using auto mode then you may have a better chance because the shutter* will be set higher. You can try to overcome this indoors by setting the flash to stay on but you may risk a washed out photo. It's worth trying though I'd you're trying to capture tiny moving objects in lower light. Good luck!

Posted via the Android Central App

dazkil2103

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I would say that it's normal for this motion blur to occur,unfortunately. If you're shooting indoors the auto shutter speed will be a bit slower to get in as much light as possible. This also will make movements more apparent. If you were shooting in a brighter setting, say, outdoors, and still using auto mode then you may have a better chance because the shutter* will be set higher. You can try to overcome this indoors by setting the flash to stay on but you may risk a washed out photo. It's worth trying though I'd you're trying to capture tiny moving objects in lower light. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply it makes sense.

caffeinated pants

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Because you are shooting in relatively dim light indoors without flash assistance, the shutter speed is too slow to avoid blur when taking pictures of kids running and flailing their arms and legs around. Just enable flash in auto mode and the camera will take care of the rest.

As an aside, you are in luck with the G4. It has one of the fastest lenses (f/1.8) of any smartphone available today and it takes fantastic shots in low-light conditions, which is probably why many folks don't even think of enabling their camera flash at all, ever. But fast-moving children are a step too far even with that fast lens unless you enable the flash :p

Last edited:

ShaneRay

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up my G4 the other day, so I can't speak with authority on the phone itself, but it does have a great "manual" mode from all reports and I once was a pretty avid hobby photographer, so...

You do need a fast shutter speed as mentioned above. Anything from 1/250 to 1/1000 of a second depending on the action. For that shot there? I'm guessing about 1/500.

Also, as mentioned, to make those shutter speeds workable in low light you'll need to bump up the ISO and use probably use flash.

It can be confusing when switching a camera to manual mode, but it will come with experience.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Increasing the ISO will help "brighten" the image to allow for faster shutter speed, but at the expense of additional artifacting, aka noise. That's been the case in some degree or another since the days of actual film, and it's just how the sensors act. What I sometimes do is set my ISO lower than ideal by a few steps when in manual mode. This will create a darker initial image, but I save them as RAW files too, then go into something like Snapseed or Photoshop Express (both free and with RAW support) to edit the raw image and bump the exposure up a little. It creates more work, but it's not hard and it's amazing what you can do with the added RAW editing functions. It gives a decent balance for tricky shots like this where the lighting isn't ideal for the shutter speed you need.

missmotta

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Increasing the ISO will help "brighten" the image to allow for faster shutter speed, but at the expense of additional artifacting, aka noise. That's been the case in some degree or another since the days of actual film, and it's just how the sensors act. What I sometimes do is set my ISO lower than ideal by a few steps when in manual mode. This will create a darker initial image, but I save them as RAW files too, then go into something like Snapseed or Photoshop Express (both free and with RAW support) to edit the raw image and bump the exposure up a little. It creates more work, but it's not hard and it's amazing what you can do with the added RAW editing functions. It gives a decent balance for tricky shots like this where the lighting isn't ideal for the shutter speed you need.

That's a great idea, and a good way to really see what the g4 can do. I've never utilized the raw files option since I'm more of a film person. But that's the magic of digital!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch