The kinda-official LG G4 bootloop thread

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, LG is being sued for this very issue.

Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences. We actually got onto the class action complaint document.

Attachments

• 22466.jpg
    22466.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 83

Tbill4

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
My 17 month-old G4 died on me last month. It had been working great and then died overnight with no warning. It was in pristine condition and was never dropped nor exposed to moisture. I took it to US Cellular where I bought it and they bounced me to LG. Contacted LG who gave me a RMA and sent a prepaid shipping label. Once in their shop, they sent an e-mail saying they would charge me to fix it since it was out of warranty. They knew that before I sent it in but I had argued this was the bootloop issue which was a known problem and one to which LG had admitted and I thought agreed to repair. I asked for actual cause of the problem and LG never replied. So, I switched from US Cellular due to their unwillingness to stand behind the phone they sold me and bought a Samsung Galaxy S7 on Verizon. Honestly, I liked the G4 much better than the newer and supposedly more capable S7 but why would I stay with a carrier and manufacturer who won't stand behind their defective products. I can't imagine ever buying an LG again after this experience. RIP G4, I'm gonna miss you.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
My 17 month-old G4 died on me last month. It had been working great and then died overnight with no warning. It was in pristine condition and was never dropped nor exposed to moisture. I took it to US Cellular where I bought it and they bounced me to LG. Contacted LG who gave me a RMA and sent a prepaid shipping label. Once in their shop, they sent an e-mail saying they would charge me to fix it since it was out of warranty. They knew that before I sent it in but I had argued this was the bootloop issue which was a known problem and one to which LG had admitted and I thought agreed to repair. I asked for actual cause of the problem and LG never replied. So, I switched from US Cellular due to their unwillingness to stand behind the phone they sold me and bought a Samsung Galaxy S7 on Verizon. Honestly, I liked the G4 much better than the newer and supposedly more capable S7 but why would I stay with a carrier and manufacturer who won't stand behind their defective products. I can't imagine ever buying an LG again after this experience. RIP G4, I'm gonna miss you.
Man, that sucks. I'm on my second G4 and it occasionally will freeze up on me and I feel like my days are numbered with it. It's paid off and I honestly have no idea what phone I'll go with after this one. I'd like to go unlocked like a OP3T but I like the convenience of financing a phone. If the 128gb Pixel was cheaper, I'd definitely go with that one. I still may get that one even with the screen being that small. But I absolutely need more storage than 32gb since I shoot and edit videos on my phone. I love having a 5.5" screen. I feel like 5" is too small.

felge20000

Mar 27, 2017
Visit site
Heyho, my G4 died on me this night. Only showing the LG splash screen as soon as I put the battery in. No chance to get into the recovery mode or anything else. It's 16 months old.

I got an imported international version from TAIWAN, has anyone in Germany or generally Europe experience on how LG is handling "foreign" phones? My support request is out and now I'm waiting.
Will update

Update: Seems like they (LG Germany) are accepting my G4, let's see if they make problems because I do not have a proper invoice from my purchase (yeah yeah, I'm stupid)

Last edited:

cold spring

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Nice to hear someone was able to fix it. But I heard the root cause of the issue is the low temp/low quality solder that LG used. If that is the case, no permanent fix is possible without re soldering the ram chip with higher quality solder which will not deform/crack under heat.

cold spring

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Yes, LG G4 occasionally freezing or crashing might actually be due to same cause as bootlooping. In both cases, the solder bond between ram chip and the motherboard has cracked. Most likely your phone will fail completely without warning, so a full nandroid backup is highly recommended (so that you can restore to another LG G4 if necessary). You might try disabling big cores to reduce heat generated by LG G4 to make it last longer (if a bit laggy). It's the defective solder + heat that kills LG G4.

Last edited:

Donvilla

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
My phone is stuck in a bootloop as well. So I downloaded the zip file with the LGUP install packages, however when running the program I get a msg "No handset is connected". Has anyone experienced this or knows how to resolve it?

gerrya

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Have 3 G4's on my Verizon account 2 have had boot loop, one was this week, stuck on the "life's not good screen". Both were out of warranty. Both of those were replaced with Pixel XL's, like the G6 but LG has left a bad taste.

nightshayde

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
My G4 in the 508-batch of serial numbers bootlooped out of nowhere yesterday. Up until then, the phone had been working fine. Took it to T-Mobile & they're sending me a replacement. I'm pretty sure it will be a refurb - but now I know to check the serial number.

Just by chance, I had backed up all my photos on Friday - so I'm not really out much. I absolutely love the camera on my G4 & don't particularly want to go back to a Samsung. I'm using my Galaxy S3 as a backup at the moment. Holy moly - that thing is small.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
My G4 in the 508-batch of serial numbers bootlooped out of nowhere yesterday. Up until then, the phone had been working fine. Took it to T-Mobile & they're sending me a replacement. I'm pretty sure it will be a refurb - but now I know to check the serial number.

Just by chance, I had backed up all my photos on Friday - so I'm not really out much. I absolutely love the camera on my G4 & don't particularly want to go back to a Samsung. I'm using my Galaxy S3 as a backup at the moment. Holy moly - that thing is small.

Sorry to hear.

I faced the boot loop woe's 3 times and was given a G5 to replace it.

I agree about the camera. Really liked it at the time. We now have the G6 and it's such a great device. Best phone by LG, I'd say best on the market currently.

LdyMox

May 9, 2017
Visit site
I have 2 LG G4 that I purchsed from Verizion about a year and a half ago (for me and my husband) and both have gone to bootloop in a single week (352s). Last week, boom he gets the boot loop after much trouble and learning of this problem I realize I have to send it into LG and had to buy a temp phone to hold me over (Amazon has an ad sponsored $60 Alcatel A30 verizion capable phone now, which isn't awful for the price even if not great). I figured ok so wouldn't be too bad just in case I ever got the same boot loop and BOOM mine goes within 5 days of my husbands in some awful stroke of bad luck and I had to go buy a second temp phone. Seems my husbands phone was repaired for free by LG and is on it's way back and now and mine is on it's way to LG. TO LGs credit they seem to have my husbands LG G4 for a day or two before it was repaired(replaced?) and sent back at no cost. Still pretty annoying to have my both my families LGs flagship phones which I haven't even finished paying for just basically brick themselves and I am unsure if I will buy LG again.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
...I am unsure if I will buy LG again.

If you like the features of the LG phones, check out the forums for their new ones. I had one G4 bootloop and the replacement started acting strange (but didn't actually bootloop), so I cut my losses and upgraded to the V20. That phone has been rock solid. Sure, there have been some reports of a bootloop here and there and other issues, but nothing widespread or out of the ordinary for a mass produced phone.

I know the lawyer overseeing the G4 and V10 class action case is looking in to including G5, V20, and maybe even the G6, but I personally think he's just looking to line his pockets with a bigger payout as there simply are no wide spread issues that I'm aware of with them.

kalendaniel

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I sent my boot looping out of nowhere G4 to LG on 4/21 and am due to receive it back on 5/5. The work order email stated "no power with cable; Swap Board (Main/RF)". Hopefully this is a real hardware fix and the issue won't reappear in another 8 months.

Been stuck with the crappiest Alcatel loaner phone from T-Mobile in the meantime (they even made me pay a refundable $50 to use this service). 1.5GB bargain phone from 2013 and a total nightmare to have to depend on. T-Mobile and LG have both handled this absolutely terribly.
@jhonnybroccoli - did this fix your boot loop issue by chance??? I've got the same msg on my repair ntoes from my warranty repair. It's on its way back now to me.