How do I force a software update from a different carrier?

dizzydevil78

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
How to Force Software update from a different carrier?

I bought a lgus991 that is still on 5.1. The articles I found said 6.0 was released back in January by US Cellular (the carrier the phone is from) but I'm using Consumer Cellular and wonder if this is the reason it keeps saying their is no update available.

I tried airplane mode and also cleared the framework services with no luck. Is there a way to force the android update on these devices?

Ikeman90

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to Force Software update from a different carrier?

The link wont take you straight to the section but there is a portion of the page where it appears you can use your computer.

LG G4 US991 SOFTWARE UPDATE

click software update > software update tool

tell me how it works for ya

dizzydevil78

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the idea. I finally got the software to see the phone and it said I had the most up to date version as well. The phone claims I have US99111a version installed which isn't even on their web page.

mikeytg1024

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a LGUS991 on Consumer Cellular and I got the update to Android 6.0 when I first turned on the phone several months ago. I am sure that the update comes from LG because it updated before I even set it up for Consumer Cellular.

The page referenced above says the latest version is US99120c yet I have US99120a, but I am not offered an update to c. I asked around and was told that different model numbers may see small differences in the latest version so I guess it's OK.

dizzydevil78

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
Did you have the SIM in the phone when it got the upgrade? Maybe I can try that after a reset I guess. I'd at least like to get off of 5.1 hoping the battery is much better in the 6.x.

dizzydevil78

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
Also, does yours have any US Cellular apps on it? Reading other forums it sounds like the US991 was sold as both a US Cellular version and also an unlocked version that has no trace or relation of US Cellular. Confusing.....

dizzydevil78

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
I pulled the SIM Memory card and skipped all authentication options after a factory reset. It still showed up to date via OTA and PC Software. I guess I'm stuck with 5.1 unless I want to flash the thing. Thank you for all the ideas.

dizzydevil78

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
So I contacted LG about this as I can't seem to find any other solution to get this updated and got one reply. They informed me it is indeed a US Cellular model but 1. unlocked and 2. not registered in their system. They claimed that the only way to upgrade it is to sign up for service with that carrier (so it registers with them) or use the PC software tool. I informed them that the software tool shows I have the latest update already at 5.1 and the conversation died there with no response for 2 months. Maybe it was just a canned response and not to be taken seriously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress