A warning! Don't buy LG products!

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
So just under two years ago I took delivery of a nice shiny new LG G4 and was very happy with it. My joy with the phone however was short lived. Around 8 months after it suffered from the dreaded bootloop issue so my network repaired the handset, by replacing the motherboard and screening. Then a few months later the phone powered off and wouldn't turn back on, so I was given a replacement handset. That was 9 months ago and it started playing up 2 weeks ago by overheating and constantly switching off when not connected to a charger and the phone is now next to useless.

That is not my only poor experience of LG. I owned a flat screen LG television, which did not last as long as expected. My girlfriend has had 2 Nexus phones, which are made by LG. One lasted a year, the other under a year. We have now gone over to Samsung and I took delivery of a nice shiny S7 edge today.

I would urge anyone who has a G4 to start looking for a new handset. I would also urge you if you're due an upgrade don't even look at the G6 or any LG handsets, because they make very good handsets feature wise, but they are not built to last. I will never buy anything made by LG again and my G4 will soon be going in the bin. I could possibly get it repaired for free, but what's the point? It will eventually break down again, just like your G4 will probably do quite soon.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Had the G5 for almost a year...zero issues, currently have a K3 and G6...zero issues. Also have 2x LG 3D Smart tv's... zero issues. I know the G4 had bootloop issues but I can only go on personal experience when deciding if I'll buy any more LG products

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Had the G5 for almost a year...zero issues, currently have a K3 and G6...zero issues. Also have 2x LG 3D Smart tv's... zero issues. I know the G4 had bootloop issues but I can only go on personal experience when deciding if I'll buy any more LG products
And I can only go by mine. My opinion is LG make cheap products.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Going strong 11 years on LG's high end washer and dryer. Same after 3 years with my LG gpad 8.3. Guess I should stay away from their phones.

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
To the sensitive fanboys on here, I haven't come here to argue I have come here to share my experiences of LG. Whilst I appreciate they may be very different to your own, there are many people who have had issues with LG products. Go ahead keep your G4 or G6 I couldn't care less, because in my opinion Samsung handsets are far superior and its only a matter of time before your G4 breaks.

Soreloser

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't call them fan boys myself. Your experience with LG is quite different than mine as well, yet you are entitled to your opinion. For those people researching a phone, washing machine, TV etc it is always good to hear both the good and the bad about a product. However, it isn't good to denigrate someone for their opinion just because it differs from yours.

With that out of the way, I have had two of the LG G4 phones and both are going strong nearly two years later. I have wondered if the bootloop issue with the motherboard is exacerbated by dropping the phone, the harsh impact contributing to the loose solder connections. Just wondering...

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't call them fan boys myself. Your experience with LG is quite different than mine as well, yet you are entitled to your opinion. For those people researching a phone, washing machine, TV etc it is always good to hear both the good and the bad about a product. However, it isn't good to denigrate someone for their opinion just because it differs from yours.

With that out of the way, I have had two of the LG G4 phones and both are going strong nearly two years later. I have wondered if the bootloop issue with the motherboard is exacerbated by dropping the phone, the harsh impact contributing to the loose solder connections. Just wondering...
All phones get dropped here and there. Bar dropping it on concrete if that's what makes the phone bootloop I'd say its made very cheaply.

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Over the past two years I have seen 4 LG phones bootloop / power off and not turn back on. Coincidence? I doubt it. It also doesn't matter which serial number you have. They are all affected by this.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
The nature of mass production does result in a few lemons being shipped to customers. The quality control process is in place to catch most of them before they ship.

Yes, the G4 has a higher than normal rate of failure due to manufacturing defects. No manufacturer is free from this problem in the long term.

All that said, I do understand the rant.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
To the sensitive fanboys on here, I haven't come here to argue I have come here to share my experiences of LG. Whilst I appreciate they may be very different to your own, there are many people who have had issues with LG products. Go ahead keep your G4 or G6 I couldn't care less, because in my opinion Samsung handsets are far superior and its only a matter of time before your G4 breaks.

I can't speak for anyone else but I certainly can't be called a fan boy. I change phones very often and funnily enough the last phone that failed me was a Samsung Galaxy s7 Edge that fell onto a rubber car mat from a foot high and both the screen and camera lens glass shattered. If I took you line of thinking I'd think Samsung was a cheap manufacturer and steer clear of their products...but I don't. You're obviously sore about your G4 which was the only phone that was really affected by the bootloop issue and I know LG never held their hand up regarding it for a long time but it hasn't really happened with the G5 or G6 so hopefully LG have corrected the manufacturing issue

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Seems like you could care less actually. Regardless, Samsung ain't no knight in shining armor either. None of these behemoth companies give a damn about anyone or anything outside of their bottom line.

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Seems like you could care less actually. Regardless, Samsung ain't no knight in shining armor either. None of these behemoth companies give a damn about anyone or anything outside of their bottom line.
I agree every manufacturer will have lemons and Samsung is no different, but not to the scale of the LG G4. What I will say is all the hype around the camera of the G4 is unwarranted. Yeah it has a decent camera, but as soon as you zoom the quality goes. The S7 edge camera is much sharper and doesn't suffer from that problem.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My Note 3 is over 2 yrs old and it still works but what's the difference? Still need a new phone because no more security updates will be forthcoming. My point being as long as my V20 lasts 2 years I'll probably have to replace it anyway. That's all I demand of an Android phone. Now it sounds like your G4 experience was unsatisfactory but many more G4 users had no problems. I think Samsung is in general a more quality brand than LG but it costs more too and if you factor in the Note 8 you see these issues can pop up in any brand.
It is my impression the bootloop issue is solved. If not I'll be back to this thread to agree with you. Samsung cured their exploding phones. LG should have and I hope have cured their bootloop issues.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Everything breaks eventually, Sucks you had bad luck but I have 3 LG devices on my family Verizon plan going strong and problem free, also good experience with their TVs.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Also while you are saying don't buy LG, I've seen other people say don't buy Samsung because their products don't last. I don't have brand loyalty, I buy what looks best for my dollar.

muckrakerX

May 23, 2013
Visit site
So just under two years ago I took delivery of a nice shiny new LG G4 and was very happy with it. My joy with the phone however was short lived. Around 8 months after it suffered from the dreaded bootloop issue so my network repaired the handset, by replacing the motherboard and screening. Then a few months later the phone powered off and wouldn't turn back on, so I was given a replacement handset. That was 9 months ago and it started playing up 2 weeks ago by overheating and constantly switching off when not connected to a charger and the phone is now next to useless.

That is not my only poor experience of LG. I owned a flat screen LG television, which did not last as long as expected. My girlfriend has had 2 Nexus phones, which are made by LG. One lasted a year, the other under a year. We have now gone over to Samsung and I took delivery of a nice shiny S7 edge today.

I would urge anyone who has a G4 to start looking for a new handset. I would also urge you if you're due an upgrade don't even look at the G6 or any LG handsets, because they make very good handsets feature wise, but they are not built to last. I will never buy anything made by LG again and my G4 will soon be going in the bin. I could possibly get it repaired for free, but what's the point? It will eventually break down again, just like your G4 will probably do quite soon.

Thanks for including those golden words "in my opinion", in your original post. I've owned 3 G2s, 2 Gpad 8.3s, a G4, a V10, and a V20 and have had no issues other than a broken screen caused by a chest high drop. That is only MY experience, though. I refuse to make wild blanket statements, but that's just me.

muckrakerX

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Having said all that, I think LG should offer a 2 year warranty on all their flagship phones. I'd even pay a little bit more upfront to get the 2nd year if necessary. I think it would be beneficial for both LG and their customers. I also think it would net them more return customers than some of the gimmicks they have been known to promote in the past.

nglfmark

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I've also had 3 LG phones. 2 LG4s and an older LG phone that I cannot even remember the model as I only lasted 1 day. The older was second hand and it over heated and kept turning it self off. I got a refund on that phone. The other 2 LG4 were new. Both suffered the boot loop problem. I will never buy LG phones as well.

JGLdn

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Having said all that, I think LG should offer a 2 year warranty on all their flagship phones. I'd even pay a little bit more upfront to get the 2nd year if necessary. I think it would be beneficial for both LG and their customers. I also think it would net them more return customers than some of the gimmicks they have been known to promote in the past.
In the UK they do that as our contracts are two years so their warranty has to cover the length of the contracts.