Looks like the LG G5 isn't actually made out of metal on the outside...

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I think where this is going as far as LG is concerned is, it is made of metal and covered in a coating. Is a vehicle made of metal and painted not a still a metal car?

Bottom Line, it is made of enough metal to be called a metal phone. I think mostly people are feeling like they have been fooled. Never a good thing for a potential customer. So they are venting. This is another case of LG innovation gone wrong. They discovered a high tech coating that they thought would work well and customers would like. There may be other reasons for the coating that we may never know, as to hide flaws as "speculated" by some of the videos about it. So if you wanted a metal phone with a natural cold machine finish feel, this won't be the phone for you.

Myself, I do want that metal feel, but it isn't a priority and won't call them out on coating it. Obviously, they didn't do it trick anyone as they know that wouldn't fly. I am more concerned about the reports of fit, quality, and light bleed. I am still trying to be objective, but it is getting harder and harder. I want to like this phone and LG is capable of making a very nice phone. It could be just initial runs of production and other phones are fine. I could see them not admitting something like that as those bad ones will vanish in the flood of good ones.

Well said couldn't agree more.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
HMMMM, I imagine I wouldn't like the feel of the device. However, lets say that they didn't use the plastic to cover the antenna bands... Everyone would be saying oh look another iphone clone. Because trust me a metal phone with exposed antenna bands gets called an iphone clone. I think the antenna bands look hideous IMO. I mean look how they vilified the HTC One A9.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
HMMMM, I imagine I wouldn't like the feel of the device. However, lets say that they didn't use the plastic to cover the antenna bands... Everyone would be saying oh look another iphone clone. Because trust me a metal phone with exposed antenna bands gets called an iphone clone. I think the antenna bands look hideous IMO. I mean look how they vilified the HTC One A9.

I agree the antenna bands look funky on the iphone

Posted via the Android Central App

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I appreciate what you are saying Phil and if AC's opinion wasn't important, I wouldn't have said anything. Truth is, sometimes you guys are very independent and in other reviews very bias. I understand corporate pressure to not rock the boat. It is present in all companies to some degree. No community Manager can say they don't get pressure from owners to please the visitors/viewers/customers.And if there is a lot of hate going for a product, justified or not... Well, the pressure is there.

The G5 review seems to be slow in coming out. I do recall in the Podcast about 10 days ago that you had a pre-production in your hands and had already spent some time playing around with. At least enough time for you to make some comments about using the camera module. There have been AC articles about the modules, the need for modules, AT&T bloat, the App Drawer, etc. And if you have spent enough time with the phone to write all of those articles, a full review could have been done. So there is some reason you guys are waiting. I am not calling it a conspiracy, just pointing out the obvious and if it were a Samsung, I think it would have been done fast. The longer the wait, the more tainted the review. Kind of like a jury's exposure to media.

If you had said, yes we have spent some time with the phone, mostly with the pre-production unit and we have haven't been impressed, so to give the phone a proper chance, we are going to wait until we spend time with a actual retail phone and we have only had it a week. Now that I would agree with. Sorry, I just don't agree with your statement as it sits. But it wouldn't be the first time I am wrong, because I don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

Don't overthink things, especially with so much speculation. (And the stuff about corporate pressure is silly and not at all how things work here.)

It'll be ready when it's ready. Was in NYC this week to shoot the review video, so it wasn't going to be done before that anyway. Looking to publish on Saturday now.

Robert McF1

May 25, 2014
Visit site
This phone feels very light in hand compared to my fully metal htc m8 but if its durable then it isn't a problem to me. Despite being very light weight it feels pretty solid. Light weight and durablity should be taken into consideration. If something is light weight it shouldn't be discounted as being cheap if the finish and durability can stand the test of time.

I never understood the whole glass thing. Glass is the last thing I would want the shell to be made from. I kept pretty good care of my htc m8 for the two years i owned it up until the battery died but it was dinged up around the edges due to the base metal shell. I couldnt resell it now even if i wanted as either the charge port or battery is dead. Wouldn't have that problem with this phone.

Robert McF1

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Ouch.

That's really not looking good for LG....

It's a good phone. If it hadn't taken a chance with modular design it would still be a good phone. The idiots take that innovative concept and try to twist it as a fault. The modular design is just a bonus at the end of the day. The amount of stupid samsung and apple fanboys in the world will cause overly harsh reviews from idiotic clueless reviewers on cnet and the like.

Last edited by a moderator:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It's a good phone. If it hadn't taken a chance with modular design it would still be a good phone. The idiots take that innovative concept and try to twist it as a fault. The modular design is just a bonus at the end of the day. The amount of stupid samsung and apple fanboys in the world will cause overly harsh reviews from idiotic clueless reviewers on cnet and the like.
I'm not saying it's a bad phone.

I listened to the podcast and they listed parts that they liked and parts they they don't like.

From what I've heard, the G5 is a good phone by itself, but its biggest issue is that it's selling in the same market as the Galaxy S7. Sure, the G5 has a bunch of compelling stuff, but the S7 has been receiving a lot of glowing reviews and praises from users, so it'll be interesting to see how the G5 holds up.

I don't hate the phone. In fact, Jerry said this in the podcast that I can relate to.

"Don't waste your time in the comments saying how 'We hate it' and everything else. It's not that we hate it. It's just not for us."

Robert McF1

May 25, 2014
Visit site
This phone has the same spec as the s7 so it is appropriate to sell in the same market. I bought this phone on contract and it's much cheaper than the two hype phones over contract (I'm paying £36 a month for thr lg g5 but with the samsung s7 or apple 6 I would have to pay £55 a month) seems like a good deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert McF1

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Uhhhhh, okay then?

Like I'm about to get the Note 6 when it's out. Please don't call me a sheep.

Samsung products are over priced and low quality. We have about 100 samsung monitors at our work another 100 dell another 100 acer and the samsung are always the first to die, turn yellow and cause problems. They have an undeserved prestige.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Samsung products are over priced and low quality. We have about 100 samsung monitors at our work another 100 dell another 100 acer and the samsung are always the first to die, turn yellow and cause problems. They have an undeserved prestige.
It's odd as I have the exact opposite experience. The 2 oldest surviving phones in my house are all Samsung. The Galaxy S2 only needed a new charging port after 5 years and the S3 is still working remarkably well. I also have a Samsung monitor from 2009 and even now, it's still working pretty well. No dead pixels or severe backlight bleeding despite 7 years of hard service.

The big takeaway here is that we both have different experiences with an OEM. My experience with Samsung was pretty good while yours wasn't. And that's what influences our buying decisions.

Let's leave it at that. :)

Robert McF1

May 25, 2014
Visit site
It's odd as I have the exact opposite experience. The 2 oldest surviving phones in my house are all Samsung. The Galaxy S2 only needed a new charging port after 5 years and the S3 is still working remarkably well. I also have a Samsung monitor from 2009 and even now, it's still working pretty well. No dead pixels or severe backlight bleeding despite 7 years of hard service.

The big takeaway here is that we both have different experiences with an OEM. My experience with Samsung was pretty good while yours wasn't. And that's what influences our buying decisions.

Let's leave it at that. :)

If you could see all the yellow defective samsung monitors at my office and compare them to all the perfect dell monitors that are the same age it would put you off.

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Ouch.

That's really not looking good for LG....
Out of all the people I know, maybe 2 read blog and tech site reviews.

The rest just buy the phone that they like in the store or someone they know has. Maybe the user reviews on Amazon or a carrier site are a factor. The overall rating more likely.

For example, my parents have G3's they really liked and they liked my G5 the other day. I'd bet they buy G5's over S7's. I'd also bet they never pop the bottom off and think the wide angle camera is cool.

Bad for LG would relate to how the 90% of the world not reading sites like this reacts.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Out of all the people I know, maybe 2 read blog and tech site reviews.

The rest just buy the phone that they like in the store or someone they know has. Maybe the user reviews on Amazon or a carrier site are a factor. The overall rating more likely.

For example, my parents have G3's they really liked and they liked my G5 the other day. I'd bet they buy G5's over S7's. I'd also bet they never pop the bottom off and think the wide angle camera is cool.

Bad for LG would relate to how the 90% of the world not reading sites like this reacts.
I was actually talking about the headline.

The way it's said doesn't bode well for the phone.

(I live by 3 words. fastboot flashing unlock)

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I was actually talking about the headline.

The way it's said doesn't bode well for the phone.

(I live by 3 words. fastboot flashing unlock)
You just put LG and there have been some posts focused on LG the company so that was my assumption.

Either way, most of the people I know just buy a phone that appeals to them and has zero clue about reviews.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez