The T-Mobile G5 does not have an app drawer option

jarome

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
My G5 does not have the app drawer option. The LG interface is hopeless if you have hundreds of apps.
Also, my G5 gets one less signal bar than the G4 sitting next to it. But Speedtest shows 40Mbps down and 12 Mbps up. Have they recalibrated the bars?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My G5 does not have the app drawer option. The LG interface is hopeless if you have hundreds of apps.
Also, my G5 gets one less signal bar than the G4 sitting next to it. But Speedtest shows 40Mbps down and 12 Mbps up. Have they recalibrated the bars?

I wouldn't worry about bars. Bars are calculated differently per phone. They can make it display whatever they want. I would check the actual -dBm signal since that will tell you the true signal.

Russell Holly

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
The official answer we got from LG was that the app drawer option would be arriving as a software update "soon" but no real expectations for when. It is coming to all US versions, as far as we know.

As for the signal strength icon, it does seem to be measuring a little differently on the G5.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I have been playing around with me G5 for the last couple of hours. I do not like at all that there is NO app drawer. Very difficult to use. Yes I know we can download Google Launcher but if I wanted to do that I would just go get a Nexus.

jarome

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
If LG restores the drawer, it is too little, too late. The LG "info" window is no where near as useful as the Google one, or even the HTC one. Who needs info on sports, music, etc. Google gives me package tracking, remembers where I parked my car, shows me stock prices, articles of interest to ME, etc.
Most launchers concentrate on bling. I have no need for fancy transitions, wild themes, and so forth. But for example, the Go Launcher lets you populate folders with apps from within the folder, which would have saved me hours of time and the hand ache I got dragging them one at a time from the Google app drawer. But alas, Go got really annoying--it keeps asking me to rate it, and installs all sorts of junk apps. I have tried a lot of other launchers too, and if you use the Google ecosystem, their launcher is the best choice.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
LG Home 4.0, which is the implementation you see in the video, is now available in the LG App Store.

Open LG Smartworld, search for "LG Home 4.0" and download the App. This will give you the App Drawer you see in the LG UX video. That's why all the icons revert to 4.0 icons when they turn on the app drawer option.

Matt Valenzuela

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
But does using the UX 4.0 launcher short the user for the UX 5.0 improvements outlined in LG's video? In other words what is the user sacrificing for the app drawer? Or are some/all of these retained?

Simpler/lighter UI
Revised icons
Friends Manager
Auto Shot
Multi View
Popout picture
LG Health
Smart Doctor
World Clock
LG Backup improved

Thoughts?

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
But does using the UX 4.0 launcher short the user for the UX 5.0 improvements outlined in LG's video? In other words what is the user sacrificing for the app drawer?

Thoughts?

Simpler/lighter UI - Yes
Revised icons - Yes (on home screen)
Friends Manager - No (Separate app)
Auto Shot - No (Separate app)
Multi View - No (Separate app)
Popout picture - No (Separate app)
LG Health - No (Separate app)
Smart Doctor - No (Separate app)
World Clock - No (Separate app)
LG Backup improved - No (Separate app)

Last edited: