LG G5 and Tempered Glass do not mix?

Phyeir

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
So I was one of the lucky people to receive my preorder quickly from T-Mobile and so far the device has been great.... except for one thing.

I've now gone through 2 different manufacturers of tempered glass screen protectors (3 protectors total) and found an issue with this phone... I don't think the screen lays 100% flat to be able to take a tempered glass protector. Each and every one of them has had the same issue, where the bottom corners will not stay adhered. On top of that, one of the sides even slowly pulls away as it sits on the phone.

I'm writing partially as a potential warning and also to see if anyone else had the same results occur. At this point, I purchased some film type protectors instead. If it's a unique issue, then no worries otherwise, as the phone works great otherwise.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
same here . tried 2 manufactures both leave huge bubbles that will not stay stuck .

starting to dislike my LG purchase .
May return it .

The first batch of glass screens don't fit, so you don't like LG?

I lol'd.

The first batch of Supershieldz didn't fit my G4. They sent a newly revised one and it fit perfect. Try another one and get a refund for the bubbled ones.

RRHMJ23

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I bought a Yootech brand tempered glass protector, it covers the whole glass from top to bottom and is blacked out in the same areas as the screen. It also has the slight curve at the top. I bought it on amazon

William Nale

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
I have a Zagg tempered glass screen protector which I purchased from their store. I paid a lot more than if I had ordered it online. It lays flat, no halo. It doesn't cover the curve at the top, it stops short. I'm OK with that, it protects well and prevents all wear from my use. I have a free lifetime replacement warranty at no extra charge.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I have a tempered glass protector on mine. It covers well. It does not fit perfectly a little bit at the top and the bottom right corner due to the slight curve in the screen.

I did have a PET protector on it that fit perfectly but removed it to try the glass one. I will leave it on for now. I do like the glass one better. If it only fit a bit better.

I'll try to attach a photo to show how it looks.

Attachments

• acc=2;doc=2335.jpg
    acc=2;doc=2335.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 57

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I had gotten a glass protector from Amazon (from Petrelstore) that covered the full screen, including the curved section above. It was working ok, but I removed it today, because I found the openings along the top (for camera lens, ear speaker, etc) are collecting dust, that was very hard to clean out. I really wouldn't want one that only covers the rectangular portion, either, so I guess I'll hope the Gorilla Glass does its job!

Last edited:

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a Zagg tempered glass screen protector which I purchased from their store. I paid a lot more than if I had ordered it online. It lays flat, no halo. It doesn't cover the curve at the top, it stops short. I'm OK with that, it protects well and prevents all wear from my use. I have a free lifetime replacement warranty at no extra charge.
I have the exact same one, pretty decent overall.

Something strange happened on my last flight, the edges actually started lifting while in flight, fortunately they eventually did come back down to their adhered position. Never seen this happen before... Will keep an eye if this keeps recurring!! Also, after having this G5 for more than a month, sincerely wish the glass covered the entire top to bottom surface and will likely start looking for such a screen protector.

Last edited:

nash211

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Yup I Zagg tempered glass protector bottom right did not stick, tried a second one same thing. I bought a Maxcroo from amazon tempered glass, was ok but didn't seem to stick down no bubbles but did move around a little. So gave up using a case with built in screen protector.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Which case are you using my friend?
I really like the looks of this phone and want to go caseless but I can't let it get scratched. I dropped it the other day with no case on it. All's it did was take a small chip off the bottom left corner of my tempered glass screen protector. I was lucky. It could have been way worse. Stupid me! I put it back in the case right away.

I'm using a minimalistic clear case made of some kind of rubber or vinyl or something. It was about $7 from Amazon. I also bought a black one identical. One more thing... I applied a dBrand skin for every day use. It saves it from getting stuffed up and you can customize the look. I applied the black carbon fiber with blue around the camera.

I hope this helps. Let me know what you come up with.

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I really like the looks of this phone and want to go caseless but I can't let it get scratched. I dropped it the other day with no case on it. All's it did was take a small chip off the bottom left corner of my tempered glass screen protector. I was lucky. It could have been way worse. Stupid me! I put it back in the case right away.

I'm using a minimalistic clear case made of some kind of rubber or vinyl or something. It was about $7 from Amazon. I also bought a black one identical. One more thing... I applied a dBrand skin for every day use. It saves it from getting stuffed up and you can customize the look. I applied the black carbon fiber with blue around the camera.

I hope this helps. Let me know what you come up with.
Any pics of it to share?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch