Tap to change USB connection?

DuncanFromLondon

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
That worked, Kris.

Well, not exactly as you said. It was pretty scary. The first time when I used reboot it didn't work. The second time I switched off instead of rebooting and it said something like 'reinstalling firmware don't unplug USB cable until done'. Of course the USB wasn't plugged in and the firmware install was at 0% so then I pulled out the battery. After which it started just fine, that horrible message popped up one more time ... and then stopped ... so far. I am scared to plug it back into the USB though.

Well it worked and I'd never have thought pulling out the tray so thank you, I am grateful you saved me a sleepless night and a call to LG. :D

K Sanchez

Dec 20, 2016
Visit site
This problem started for me over the weekend. None of the above solutions have worked. I pulled out the SIM/SD tray and rebooted as it said above. It was still doing it. It was running down the battery, so I did a full charge. After the full charge, it gave me a 12 hour break before it started up again. I purchased Tasker to silence the power supply notification. It didn't work. The constant beeping is like torture! When I bought my LG 5, two LG 5 devices were lemons. They kept dying while they were setting them up. The third one seemed to work fine. I'm avoiding taking this to Sprint because I don't want them to replace it with the same model. It has been a good phone until now. If I silence the phone, I don't hear calls or texts. I'm on call, so I can't do that anyway. And since I'm on call, the phone is close while I sleep, which I'm not getting any of that done! I also noticed the fast charging doesn't work anymore. I updated my phone in the last week or so. Related to the update? Can you roll back to a previous version?

Kevinizer

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
Dear fellow g5 users.

I've had the same problem and because i found the cause i wanted to share it with you guys.

It is actually dirty connector on your phone side where is collects dirt inside the hole and bridges between copper plates. I tried shoving and rubbing inside the hole with a toothpick and the problem solved permanently.

Hope you guys find this helpful.

BeatZenDave

Apr 11, 2017
Visit site
I agree with Kevinizer, and as others have indicated in other forums the issue is with the charging port, part of the charging module. However, cleaning the port has not solved the issue for me. I believe it to be a big flaw in the LG G5 module because I have kept my phone in pristine condition, so if the charging port is so so sensitive to motes of dust, there is a fault in the port design. What's even more annoying is I turned off the Android System app notifications to at least make the issue of incessant notification alerts bearable, and it seems to have no effect on this USB Power Supply notification.

BrockChamb

May 26, 2017
Visit site
Turn off Fingerprints for locking your screen.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but hear me out or try it. I noticed that other users had noted that their system had upgraded before getting this random notification. I had tried cleaning out my USB port with air and a toothpick. And I tried different USB cables. But after a recent OS update (7.0, Android Security Patch Level March 1, 2017, Build NRD9OU, SW Version H83020f, Security software version MDF v2.09 Release 2.0) my battery life dropped dramatically and I got this error all the time, especially if nothing was plugged into the USB port. I looked to see what was using the most battery and strangely it was the Android OS, by a big margin. Android OS was not only first, but 47%! I thought back to what I had done before the upgrade. I had set a fingerprint lock for the first time. As a test, I turned off the fingerprint unlocking. Now I no longer get the phone asking to change the USB connection AND Android OS is 3rd and a much more reasonable 9%. Battery life is improved and the phone is fast like it was when I bought it!

Go figure? I don't know what the connection is other than some bug in the OS with the Fingerprint lock. I tried the other suggestions in this thread (except for restoring to factory settings). Nothing worked.

Maybe some programmer will look at this exclaim "Oh Crap, I forgot..."

Here's how to change the lock:

Settings >Lock screen > Select screen lock
-Enter your lock code (or fingerprint) as prompted
-Change to any of the other options (I selected "Pattern")

Thanks for all your help in diagnosing this!

I'm having a problem where after unplugging my G5 from the charging cable I keep getting this notification that says-

Power supply
Tap to change USB connection

It keeps popping on and off for a bit, making my phone vibrate and make the notification noise each time, before finally stopping but the notification stays up even though there is no cable connected. I've sprayed out the port with compressed air and cleaned it with a brush but it still does it. The worst is that is this is my second G5 and the one I had before did the same thing and the Sprint store swapped it out. (They said that no one had ever had that problem before so they didn't know what it was) I don't really have the money to get a different phone but this is really annoying. Has anyone even heard of this happening before?

Erech

May 29, 2017
Visit site
New user here. I had this same problem on my g5. Tried the mentioned fixes in the thread to no avail. I plugged my phone in to wall charger and switched it to charge. Then unplugged usb cable from wall charger while leaving it in my phone for a minute. Removed it from phone and notification is gone.

bluemoon29

Oct 22, 2017
Visit site
Did u got it fix? I have the solution for it

I have tried all of the above on my LG v20. I had reluctantly decided to live with it, however last night after reaching a full charge, the USB icon popped up, the charge icon disappeared, and now when I plug it in, I get no response from the charger. Also, the USB icon will give me a drop down if tapped, but won't save my selection or go away after. It's stuck on "charge this phone only".

Help, please?

Sovereign16

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
I also have the same problem on my LG V10 and I've noticed the phone really discharges faster than normal while not in use.

I.e. previously, the battery would only drain by 3-4% over 8 hours of non-use.

Now, it's like 20-25%.

Moreover, I keep getting "tap to change USB connection" and anytime I try and switch it din "charge the connected device", it vibrates and resets to that choice. What the f

Sovereign16

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
I also have the same problem on my LG V10 and I've noticed the phone really discharges faster than normal while not in use.

I.e. previously, the battery would only drain by 3-4% over 8 hours of non-use.

Now, it's like 20-25%.

Moreover, I keep getting "tap to change USB connection" and anytime I try and switch it din "charge the connected device", it vibrates and resets to that choice. What the f

LGG5user999

Mar 23, 2018
Visit site
I found the solution. But not sure if it's permanent. So far it's been working and I'm no longer getting the "tap to change USB options" and it's charging normally.

Just go to your apps and "force stop" the "Andriod system".

Anjiso

Jun 10, 2018
Visit site
Mine is LG G5. I tried all the suggested solutions but nothing has worked. The problem was also causing the power to drain faster than normal. I was about to give up and get a new phone. I have done a factory-reset of the phone and that did not solve the problem. Since the system software had worked previously without the problem, that rules out software as root cause of the problem. I decided to clean the usb port one more time. I turned off the phone. I used a round toothpick with pointed tip and rolled it inside the usb port. I had to really push the toothpick deep. After the cleaning, the problem went away for a while but it became an intermittent problem where It shows and clears in a cyclic manner. This implied that the problem is indeed port (hardware) related problem. Finally, I soaked a toothpick in rubbing alcohol and repeated the cleaning process again. I waited a few minutes for the alcohol to dry before I turned on the phone. This time the problem did not come back. The annoying USB icon disappeared for good.

Last edited:

Whyme3

Aug 15, 2018
Visit site
I've had the same problems many times. It's very annoying because it kept buzzing every second, driving me crazy.. Sometimes it stopped for a short time and for no apparent reason it started up again like now. It will stop buzzing if I plug in for charging again. Can't keep charging if it's full. I will follow the instruction of remove my simcard to see if it will make the different.

Whyme3

Aug 15, 2018
Visit site
Ok, so I'm going to try to do the force stop on Android system webview, that's the only 1 in the list with Android system. If that doesn't work, I will try the port cleaning with alcohol n toothpick.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall