Android security patches, where are for G5? (not SE version)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You summed it up nicely. I don't get how it's possible for unbranded versions to have such delayed or no updates unless the network/carriers are paying extra for more software support.

People experienced the same thing in the US with the carrier S7s vs. the unlocked all-carrier S7.

Never assume that unlocked models get updates faster. It's still up to the OEM on how to support their products.

Ultraman1966

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
People experienced the same thing in the US with the carrier S7s vs. the unlocked all-carrier S7.

Never assume that unlocked models get updates faster. It's still up to the OEM on how to support their products.
I think it's because conventionally we've always had the networks holding up the updates but now that has been turned on its head.
Still, you would think that the OEM would have an easier time making an update without all the carrier bloatware so that the unlocked gets the update at same time. I suspect the carriers are now paying the OEMs for quicker updates?

Ultraman1966

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
So using the LG tool wouldn't matter since the update does not exist anyway?
I've been regularly checking XDA but nothing has surfaced so far.
I have also yet to get a reply from LG support but honestly I don't think it'll yield anything useful.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have also yet to get a reply from LG support but honestly I don't think it'll yield anything useful.

Because you're looking for something that doesn't exist (yet?).

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think it's because conventionally we've always had the networks holding up the updates but now that has been turned on its head.
Still, you would think that the OEM would have an easier time making an update without all the carrier bloatware so that the unlocked gets the update at same time. I suspect the carriers are now paying the OEMs for quicker updates?

Back in 2013, Motorola was updating Verizon handsets first. In 2016, Samsung was updating carrier versions first.

But historically, LG was updating Poland so they could claim first.

Still - there's no evidence that carriers are paying OEMs extra for support.

Ultraman1966

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Back in 2013, Motorola was updating Verizon handsets first. In 2016, Samsung was updating carrier versions first.

But historically, LG was updating Poland so they could claim first.

Still - there's no evidence that carriers are paying OEMs extra for support.
All true, I guess we unlocked users are in the minority which is understandable. But the situation in the UK tended to be almost that the unlocked handsets get updated first. Looking at this list, https://lg-firmwares.com/lg-h850-firmwares/, it seems like one of the networks Vodafone has had an update pushed for it (20b, vs my current 20a).
So they are doing Europe/UK but their customer service are clueless about it (they could've just told me an update was pending) as they kept insisting that nothing was in the pipeline.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
All true, I guess we unlocked users are in the minority which is understandable. But the situation in the UK tended to be almost that the unlocked handsets get updated first. Looking at this list, https://lg-firmwares.com/lg-h850-firmwares/, it seems like one of the networks Vodafone has had an update pushed for it (20b, vs my current 20a).
So they are doing Europe/UK but their customer service are clueless about it (they could've just told me an update was pending) as they kept insisting that nothing was in the pipeline.

It has been my experience that customer service or support wouldn't have that information to begin with. They'll know when it's released and available. If it's not, to them, it doesn't exist.

Ultraman1966

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
It has been my experience that customer service or support wouldn't have that information to begin with. They'll know when it's released and available. If it's not, to them, it doesn't exist.
I concur but their web chat operator for LG mobile said they spoke to the tech software team. If they hadn't said that I wouldn't have pressed so hard on the matter.

steveathome

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
When I spoke to LG UK support yesterday the customer service rep allegedly spoke to the tech team and he was told that there were no updates, security or v7 at this stage and they could not confirm that there would be any further updates or not. So clearly they are not in the loop with regard to updates.

Ultraman1966

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
When I spoke to LG UK support yesterday the customer service rep allegedly spoke to the tech team and he was told that there were no updates, security or v7 at this stage and they could not confirm that there would be any further updates or not. So clearly they are not in the loop with regard to updates.
Yup, I knew the guy was lying but he's just following a script.
Oh well, no more LG for me.

steveathome

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes me too probably. I used to have Nexus devices moved to G3 then to G5. I might think of going back to Google with the Pixel devices. However, I'll hang fire for a bit longer.

mandoman28

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

It is weird that they would update a carrier phone before an unlocked phone, I originally had the unlocked version of this phone but sold that and got the carrier version when I saw they were getting faster updates.

Ultraman1966

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
It is weird that they would update a carrier phone before an unlocked phone, I originally had the unlocked version of this phone but sold that and got the carrier version when I saw they were getting faster updates.
Stranger still is that the Vodafone branded ones have had two updates since we've had the Nov update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non