Are you getting a G6 or an S8?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
$672 is actually not bad.

Though I'd wait for a bit. LG phones drop like a boulder in prices after a few months, so waiting will inevitably net you a greater deal.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Leaning towards the G6 vs S8

• Flat screen for easier glass protector install (do manufacturers know consumers LIKE screen protectors?)
  • Dual wide angle 13MP cameras (because why not? wide angle is awesome)
  • Looks better than S8 (S8 is too curvy, what are you trying to do Samsung?? Trying too hard)
  • Better placement of fingerprint scanner/button (S8 will have fingerprints on camera lens)
  • Better IPS display (no AMOLED burn in)
  • Better looking icons and theme

Seems like more better reasons to go with LG G6!

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Leaning towards the G6 vs S8

• Flat screen for easier glass protector install (do manufacturers know consumers LIKE screen protectors?)
  • Dual wide angle 13MP cameras (because why not? wide angle is awesome)
  • Looks better than S8 (S8 is too curvy, what are you trying to do Samsung?? Trying too hard)
  • Better placement of fingerprint scanner/button (S8 will have fingerprints on camera lens)
  • Better IPS display (no AMOLED burn in)
  • Better looking icons and theme

Seems like more better reasons to go with LG G6!
I don't like screen protectors. I will never use one.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Just so you're aware, S8+ uses about 13GB for it's base OS/Software, just sayin
But it comes with 64 GB instead of 32 GB. Don't get me wrong not everyone needs 64 GB or higher but stupid of LG to not offer 64 GB version for $50 or $100 more. It's fine to have 32 GB but have one more sku with higher capacity storage. Like Pixel 32 and 128 GB sku, yeah yeah they have problem stocking it up but atleast it's an option if someone really wants and ready to wait.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But it comes with 64 GB instead of 32 GB. Don't get me wrong not everyone needs 64 GB or higher but stupid of LG to not offer 64 GB version for $50 or $100 more. It's fine to have 32 GB but have one more sku with higher capacity storage. Like Pixel 32 and 128 GB sku, yeah yeah they have problem stocking it up but atleast it's an option if someone really wants and ready to wait.

Yeah this is the one thing that annoys me .. I am not one who needs 256 GB or anything but having 64 GB as a base for me sounds reasonable. 32 GB once you stack the OS on top doesn't leave much for videos/music and then also pics/videos.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I would prefer 64gb as base too but not a deal breaker... with microsd I point all pics and vids to be stored on microsd as well as store any music and docs and leave all apps internally.

I prefer that to some degree also because if the phone ever was damaged or died then I have everything in sd and just pull out the sd card.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would prefer 64gb as base too but not a deal breaker... with microsd I point all pics and vids to be stored on microsd as well as store any music and docs and leave all apps internally.

I prefer that to some degree also because if the phone ever was damaged or died then I have everything in sd and just pull out the sd card.

I definitely do not trust SD cards so that stuff would be backed up via the cloud. I mean I would use one but not trust it in the case of the phone failing and hoping the data is still on the card.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I've heard/read that from others too... but I've never had card failure so I'm ok with it. I try to back up the card now and then.

I haven't embraced the cloud yet and prefer not to have all my data stored on it.

I've been using an S6 since beginning of year... it died a horrible death a couple of weeks ago and I was pissed I lost pics that were stored on it. I really didn't like that phone... terrible battery.

I guess I do have to rethink cloud.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've heard/read that from others too... but I've never had card failure so I'm ok with it. I try to back up the card now and then.

I haven't embraced the cloud yet and prefer not to have all my data stored on it.

I've been using an S6 since beginning of year... it died a horrible death a couple of weeks ago and I was pissed I lost pics that were stored on it. I really didn't like that phone... terrible battery.

I guess I do have to rethink cloud.

While I get what you mean the "never happened to me so I don't prepare for it" thing doesn't make sense to me. You probably have never had a house fire but you probably have things to help put one out right? I know that is a "stretch" analogy but for me it makes sense because if I am taking pictures of family events or of my nephew as he grows up… to most people they don’t care but to ME that is important. Why would I risk on keeping it on one physical thing that could fail or possibly be lost? I could get in a car wreck tomorrow and my phone get destroyed in the wreck along with the SD card.

That is just how my mind works. Not saying I wouldn’t use it but using it as my “sole backup” is just .. no way.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I find it best to have backups in more than one place. The cloud is a no brainer because it's free and automatic; I also like having physical backups of the most important things (photos, documents, etc).

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well, my time with the S6 was a getting reacquainted moment with Android. Been using an iPhone 6 for the past year when my LG G3 died and before that was rocking a G2 (my fav) and before that Nexus 4.

I thought that it would be a difficult transition going back into iPhone wasn't sure I was going to like it but I end up having a newfound respect for iPhones.

I do have to correct myself. I did have an issue with the Wi-Fi died and I had to take it to an Apple store where they swapped it mediately. No SD card to and I didn't use cloud we were describing but I did use Apple's iCloud back up and that was a lifesaver restoring the phone exactly the way it was. Great feature because once you enable it it automatically back up periodically At least every day.

Does Google have a back up process like apples iCloud back up and restore? I will have to look into that.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, my time with the S6 was a getting reacquainted moment with Android. Been using an iPhone 6 for the past year when my LG G3 died and before that was rocking a G2 (my fav) and before that Nexus 4.

I thought that it would be a difficult transition going back into iPhone wasn't sure I was going to like it but I end up having a newfound respect for iPhones.

I do have to correct myself. I did have an issue with the Wi-Fi died and I had to take it to an Apple store where they swapped it mediately. No SD card to and I didn't use cloud we were describing but I did use Apple's iCloud back up and that was a lifesaver restoring the phone exactly the way it was. Great feature because once you enable it it automatically back up periodically At least every day.

Does Google have a back up process like apples iCloud back up and restore? I will have to look into that.

For photos and such, yes. For the whole ROM, no.

tesladroid

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Had an S7 Edge, sent it back because of the curved screen. Tried the Note 7, didn't care for it's curves either. I like curves on women, not phones. No Samsung for me.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Had an S7 Edge, sent it back because of the curved screen. Tried the Note 7, didn't care for it's curves either. I like curves on women, not phones.
0c87098db06f16d6afc4298db5b41db9.gif

AndroidHabit

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Well considering my LGG4 has bootloop, I finnaly fixed my LGG3 cracked screen and replaced the front half.
I ordered it from ebay and the seller is top notch.

I miss my LGG4 so much but for now I must use my LGG3.
Looking to tinker around with it and get xposed and a camera mod.
I didnt get around to it because I was blessed by the AC gods with my LGG4.

Hope to see great reviews about the LGG6, I completely ignored the LGG5 with that funny module.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I'll waite and decide after the reviews come out. I'm not in such a rush that I have to be an early adapter.. These companies make all kinds of promises about bells and whistles but until they are in people's hands and tested its just empty words.