lack of notification light

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't really miss it. Useless when in my pocket. The only time it would help is when the phone is on the table and I leave the room and a message comes it. AOD wastes the battery and does not work with the OEM folio case anyway.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't really miss it. Useless when in my pocket. The only time it would help is when the phone is on the table and I leave the room and a message comes it. AOD wastes the battery and does not work with the OEM folio case anyway.
AOD doesn't use THAT much battery though.

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I think the only reason AOD doesn't use much battery on the G6 is that it's not really always-on, but activated by the proximity sensor. It was kind of silly for LG to implement it on an LCD screen but at least they were able to mitigate that silliness in this way. I read somewhere a theory that only a small part of the backlight is actually on when the AOD is on, but it sure looks to me like the whole screen backlight lights - unless it's just bleed from a smaller lit area, which would also be another clever power-saving design.

If we think about LED vs LCD screens, it makes sense for an AOD to display only minimal information on an LED screen, where power usage is proportional to lit pixels. But on an LCD screen, power usage is the same regardless, so I personally think it would be nice to be able to have the AOD display more stuff (my choice). That could greatly make up for the loss of info that a multicolor status LED could give.

I missed lightflow and the mulitcolor status LED for a little while - mostly because I could make it flash a "special" color for missed calls or texts from important people, and the AOD doesn't have any way to distinguish that. Fortunately it is quick to double-tap on the screen to wake it up and see the full notifications so I don't really miss it THAT much.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I think the only reason AOD doesn't use much battery on the G6 is that it's not really always-on, but activated by the proximity sensor. It was kind of silly for LG to implement it on an LCD screen but at least they were able to mitigate that silliness in this way. I read somewhere a theory that only a small part of the backlight is actually on when the AOD is on, but it sure looks to me like the whole screen backlight lights - unless it's just bleed from a smaller lit area, which would also be another clever power-saving design.

If we think about LED vs LCD screens, it makes sense for an AOD to display only minimal information on an LED screen, where power usage is proportional to lit pixels. But on an LCD screen, power usage is the same regardless, so I personally think it would be nice to be able to have the AOD display more stuff (my choice). That could greatly make up for the loss of info that a multicolor status LED could give.

I missed lightflow and the mulitcolor status LED for a little while - mostly because I could make it flash a "special" color for missed calls or texts from important people, and the AOD doesn't have any way to distinguish that. Fortunately it is quick to double-tap on the screen to wake it up and see the full notifications so I don't really miss it THAT much.

I've had an s8+ and a g6 (s8 using an amoled which is perfect for it) my g6 had twice as much life out of a single charge that my s8+ could...... Little tip : don't enable the brighter option for the aod otherwise yes it does drain the battery.

devaa

Banned
Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
Well I don't wanna be THAT GIRL that has to wear an ugly *** smart watch!! I AGREE WITH HIM - LG DROPPED THE BALL!! I HAD A G4 THAT HAD COLOR CHANGING LED NOTIFICATIONS AND I SET THE COLOR PURPLE FOR MY DAUGHTER - AND I COULD GLANCE AT MY PHONE & IDENTIFY PEOPLE WITHOUT HAVING TO TOUCH MY FREAKING PHONE!!! LG - WTF WERE U THINKING??
Then don't buy it as simple as that.. Iphones never had led notification and yet one of the best selling phones in the world for years...

And some1 wrote that he saw the led across the room yeah right, maybe at night but during the day noup.. During the day for me led notification was useless unless i am starring at the phone...

So jennifer don't buy g6 and you will have phone with led. 😀

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

You bring up a very good point - double tap to wake solves so many issues! 😃

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I just got a G6 and installed an app called "NoLED" on it for visual notifications. It's not the same as a blinking light, but so far it's serving the same purpose.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Then don't buy it as simple as that.. Iphones never had led notification and yet one of the best selling phones in the world for years...

And some1 wrote that he saw the led across the room yeah right, maybe at night but during the day noup.. During the day for me led notification was useless unless i am starring at the phone...

So jennifer don't buy g6 and you will have phone with led. 😀

Yeah you can see the blinking light across the room. And no you can't see an AOD across the room