Has anyone tried out the modified Google Camera (w HDR+) on their G6 yet?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I get all that.... I'm just not convinced that OIS works that well to compensate for small sensors based on my results for photos I've taken but I have a pretty steady hand when it comes to taking pictures. Videos are a different story.

Oh! Sorry, I totally derped and missed your point entirely. I agree with you 100%. OIS's importance has been vastly overstated.... and keeps getting overstated in review after review.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
sorry a little late to this thread but just sideloaded the Google HDR+ camera app and I prefer it way over the stock G6 camera app

pictures seem sharper and not as overexposed. one thing I miss (prob only thing) is the iPhone 7 plus camera which took EXCELLENT pictures. my wife still has the IP7+, and same pics taken on her and my G6 is no comparison. the iPhone always took sharper pics. colors are more vibrant.

and love the lens blue effect on the Google HDR+, (ie portrait mode).

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Some quick examples with the HDR+ app

And McDonald's pics shows pre and post lens blur (portrait mode). Huge difference. And yes my kids wanted McDonald's after school yesterday
8efee9abb85581cb79802d66e0210b0e.jpg
4b8212962a41cc2ad43ebd4ea84557f2.jpg
3f7790cbe8f762a25adf7ffd9073ef77.jpg

tweedie

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone managed to get the "photo sphere" working? It seems fine if I go around horizontally (ie view along the landscape) but soon as I go either up or down to take sections of photos they never seem to stitch/merge photos very well and ended up disjointed.

is this something that occurs in the pixel version or perhaps a bug in this app for lg6?

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
sorry a little late to this thread but just sideloaded the Google HDR+ camera app and I prefer it way over the stock G6 camera app

pictures seem sharper and not as overexposed. one thing I miss (prob only thing) is the iPhone 7 plus camera which took EXCELLENT pictures. my wife still has the IP7+, and same pics taken on her and my G6 is no comparison. the iPhone always took sharper pics. colors are more vibrant.

and love the lens blue effect on the Google HDR+, (ie portrait mode).
Have you compared the iPhone pics and the G6 pics on a computer vs. On the phones?

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Not yet. I've compared them both on the G6 screen. Are the G6 pics better on a computer ? I would assume both iPhone and G6 pics would be both better on a computer
A lot of it has to due with the screens we view them on. My iPhone 7 friends are all jealous of the pics I take with my G6, when they see it on their phones.. I could be wrong, but I think that has a lot to due with it.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
A lot of it has to due with the screens we view them on. My iPhone 7 friends are all jealous of the pics I take with my G6, when they see it on their phones.. I could be wrong, but I think that has a lot to due with it.
I understand what you're saying but I view the pics taken on the wife's iPhone 7 plus and my taken on the G6 both on my G6 screen. So it's a pretty equal comparison and Everytime the iPhone 7 plus pics are way better, in my opinion

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I understand what you're saying but I view the pics taken on the wife's iPhone 7 plus and my taken on the G6 both on my G6 screen. So it's a pretty equal comparison and Everytime the iPhone 7 plus pics are way better, in my opinion

For sure.. I was just wondering. IPhones are DEFINITELY better point and shoot cameras.. By far. Just about everything is. Haha.

Ian Bower

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Is the camera as slow as it is on mine for you guys especially performing HDR+.. This is one of the things that puts me off using it.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Is the camera as slow as it is on mine for you guys especially performing HDR+.. This is one of the things that puts me off using it.
The shutter is fast without hdr. It's quite quick.. With hdr+ on it can be kind of slow. But it seems like it still can catch some shots whilst in the middle of its "preprocessing"

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I recently got a iPhone 7+, specifically (at least at first) for the cameras. My first ever iPhone. I come from a long line of Android, Windows and BB phones going back to the beginning. This iPhone has th best cameras in any cell phone that I've owned or even used before with the possible exception of the Lumia 1020 from years ago.
My lady friend who was a long time Samsung person said the same after she tried my 7+ and has since sold her S8 and now owns a 7+ also.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I recently got a iPhone 7+, specifically (at least at first) for the cameras. My first ever iPhone. I come from a long line of Android, Windows and BB phones going back to the beginning. This iPhone has th best cameras in any cell phone that I've owned or even used before with the possible exception of the Lumia 1020 from years ago.
My lady friend who was a long time Samsung person said the same after she tried my 7+ and has since sold her S8 and now owns a 7+ also.
I agree with you. The camera on the iPhone 7 plus is the best out there. But that's not enough for me to move back to iPhone or iOS, with their closed ecosystem and horrible iTunes.

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I've been using this modified Gcam app for quite a while now and wasn't that impressed. The shutter speed was laggy and the pictures weren't processing that we'll.
However, with the latest release, the shutter lag is pretty much gone and the images that I am now taking are beating the stock LG app hands down.
This is now officially my new camera app (except for wide angle). I am finally at peace with this camera as I was never fully convinced by previous results.
The lens blur option is a great addition too.
I Highly recommend that people give it a shot
https://www.xda-developers.com/google-camera-updated-zero-shutter-lag-xiaomi/

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I've been using this modified Gcam app for quite a while now and wasn't that impressed. The shutter speed was laggy and the pictures weren't processing that we'll.
However, with the latest release, the shutter lag is pretty much gone and the images that I am now taking are beating the stock LG app hands down.
This is now officially my new camera app (except for wide angle). I am finally at peace with this camera as I was never fully convinced by previous results.
The lens blur option is a great addition too.
I Highly recommend that people give it a shot
https://www.xda-developers.com/google-camera-updated-zero-shutter-lag-xiaomi/
I've been using it primarily since it's release and the pictures were coming out better for me than with the stock. Specifically at night. These are from last night and the fireworks one is zoomed in.

I'll check out the new update.
3aacb9d6e849da7ff0a610c8da07f4ac.jpg
5c12ee5a8e8a6feaed14409d279f46b3.jpg
3d50c9784b424b162120182bc58168f1.jpg
c61686df4e59196d7331e31f9b81bb37.jpg
ebae972b7868b3a9d3d6a9f6e01b83a7.jpg

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Latest version has an interesting new addition... He made several HDR+ internal settings visible. Fun to tweak. Here are two crops of a blanket in my living room lit only by the TV. One is lg stock cam, the other the GC using one of the profiles preloaded by the dev.
e2d2a058bb5daf2c5986e4829755305c.jpg
40a405907688b37ed1ba74153593c40a.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo