Should I take off screen protector from my LG G6?

A

AC Question

Guys whats you experience with Gorilla Glass 3 on G6? Should I leave the screen protector or am I good without it?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Having dropped things on my phone before and chipped the glass slightly, I'd go with keeping the protector on unless it is somehow interfering with your enjoyment of the phone. I have a tempered glass one on my Note 4 and it almost completely hides the chip in the original glass, and protects the screen from further stupidity on my part. :)

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
It's totally up to you. If you mean the thin plastic that comes on the glass from the factory, of course this is just for protection before the phone gets to you but you can leave it on if you like the feel. I kept the back protective plastic on my LG Optimus G forever because it didn't bother me and it gave me a little peace of mind.

If your carrier/retailer installed a "real" one for you then leave it on (unless of course you don't like what they put on and want to choose one of your own).

Personally I hate plastic screen protectors and in the days before tempered glass protectors, I'd never cover a nice gorilla glass screen with a screen protector. But now, you can get glass ones that feel just as nice as the screen glass, even if they are actually much more prone to scratching - the advantage being that they are inexpensive to replace when needed and actually easier to install than the old plastic ones.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! Feel free to post often and create an account here if you'd like! :)

Ift's the plastic film that came in the box, you could always keep it in until you purchase a screen protector. I recommend tempered glass, as it still retains most of the feel of your original screen; plus it offers more protection than a plastic protector.

Gorilla Glass is supposed to be sturdy and more durable than other glass screens, but I'd recommend a screen protector to protect your investment! Enjoy your new G6!

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used a screen protector in years because I just don't like them.. I never had any issue with LG screens even scratching.. With that said. I've got the tempered glass route for this phone.... Just because.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used a screen protector in years because I just don't like them.. I never had any issue with LG screens even scratching.. With that said. I've got the tempered glass route for this phone.... Just because.

Tempered glass is the best route, in my opinion!

citronbull

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
It depends how clumsy you are. I did not put any screen protector on my G4, V20, and now the G6. Never had any scratches either. I did drop V20 one time but it has a TPU case, nothing happened.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It depends how clumsy you are. I did not put any screen protector on my G4, V20, and now the G6. Never had any scratches either. I did drop V20 one time but it has a TPU case, nothing happened.

I'm not clumsy and I had no protection on for a week and now I have a nice scratch on the screen.... Probably something in my pocket. The current versions of Gorilla glass are tougher to break but easier to scratch.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not clumsy and I had no protection on for a week and now I have a nice scratch on the screen.... Probably something in my pocket. The current versions of Gorilla glass are tougher to break but easier to scratch.

Perhaps that's how they compensate - it'll be harder to break the screen, but it can still scratch up pretty easily - but at least you're better protected against breaking.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Never had a problem with breaking with older versions of GG

My G3 didn't have any screen issues either! Granted, I had a plastic screen protector on it for most of its life; but still. It had drops, bumps and random tosses into other surfaces and it never suffered. :)

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
If you have a glass protector i don't see why you'd remove it....... Yes gorilla glass is solid (does scratch after time though) but since the g6 has a flat screen it's kinda easy to find a fiting one.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If you have a glass protector i don't see why you'd remove it....... Yes gorilla glass is solid (does scratch after time though) but since the g6 has a flat screen it's kinda easy to find a fiting one.

Because some of went 2 or 3 years without a scratch.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Because some of went 2 or 3 years without a scratch.

I never used a protector myself,the g6 i had was bought used and came with it. So i just kept it (better resale value anyway). You do get micro scratches otherwise but meh not enough to really go ocd about it imo.

jesskoh

Banned
Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
The Micro scratches are so easy to get onto a naked screen. Can't understand why some people don't want to just use a screen protector or tempered glass :)

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
The Micro scratches are so easy to get onto a naked screen. Can't understand why some people don't want to just use a screen protector or tempered glass :)
I for one don't care and cannot justify paying for a glass protector when gorilla glass does a great job by itself. Also i don't resell my phones much so no need for it to be pristine.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Haha ok. So you have tons of phones at home.

Nope 1 but i never dropped a phone i only use a case on them and don't care about micro scratches they're not visible when the screen is on + finding one for curved screen is a b**** (not talking about g6 here). Screens and gorilla glass have evolved more than enough and screen protector is just an excuse for manufacturers to make more money off ya. But if you don't wanna understand that no problem, i sure as hell don't judge others that use them and don't care wether you use one or not i don't get one anymore and don't need or feel like i need one.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I find that the oleophobic coating becomes less effective over time, in addition to the fact that I have chipped (not cracked, thankfully) a screen or two in the past. For me, a few bucks to get that "like new" slippery easy-to-clean feeling back, not to mention a restore to that gloriously new feeling state for a few bucks any time I feel like it, is a really good deal.

Everyone's got their own priorities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez