Battery life

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if battery life turns out to be quite average.

A smaller-than-usual battery coupled with a bright display and a high-end processor isn't going to do wonders for battery.

It will probably get you through a day, but don't expect more.
I thought the rule of thumb was that newer chipsets/cpu provide greater efficiency than previous models that's what LG are claiming. But you're right in reality, the smaller battery with power hungry screen is going to be a drain

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I thought the rule of thumb was that newer chipsets/cpu provide greater efficiency than previous models that's what LG are claiming. But you're right in reality, the smaller battery with power hungry screen is going to be a drain
That's in theory.

But those gains are usually offset by smaller batteries and such

Integrazimmy

Aug 4, 2017
Visit site
I hate battery life threads, but I got my G7 Thurs afternoon and battery has been pretty disappointing.
Unfortunately under battery, the LG home launcher is the biggest culprit, at times showing as 30%. Even if I'm using a different launcher it still shows up number 1 on the list.

I'm guessing there is a way to use ADB to debloat or disable some of the apps.

Aside from that, really happy with the phone.

I don't know why you have that issue. Mines happily strolls around 10% total for the while day. I'm actually very happy with my G7's battery life and I'm a heavy user generally having 10-15 apps open and I get 5 1/2 hours of screen on time. Maybe you have downloaded apps that are causing a battery drain through the LG Home Launcher. I love the battery performance of my LG. I understand it could've been better by not reducing the battery size, but it's still better than the Galaxy S9, while sporting a bigger screen.

Nate JA

Jun 9, 2018
Visit site
I put my Samsung Galaxy S8 side-by-side with my LG G7 and watch YouTube videos at the same time. My G7 has slightly better battery life than my gs8. I actually had a hard time draining my G7 even while installing updates surfing the web watching videos listening to music Etc. The only thing I haven't tested that was how well it does while using the GPS... But overall, I'm very impressed with the battery life so far. My Samsung Galaxy S8 was one of my best phones when it came to battery life, and this looks to be on par or a bit better than that... Give or take, considering the years worth of charges I have put my Samsung through so far.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I hate battery life threads, but I got my G7 Thurs afternoon and battery has been pretty disappointing.
Unfortunately under battery, the LG home launcher is the biggest culprit, at times showing as 30%. Even if I'm using a different launcher it still shows up number 1 on the list.

I'm guessing there is a way to use ADB to debloat or disable some of the apps.

Aside from that, really happy with the phone.

1. You have to wait several weeks so that Android can recognize your habits and optimize your phone.

2. Download LG Package Disabler Pro and disable useless LG and bloatware apps that you're not using. There's money back guarantee so if it doesn't work, you can get a refund. Works great with my V20, no need for rooting or any other mods, works straight out the box (this is better than using ADB to disable apps, it's easier and less likely to cause corruption/errors, and best of all, you can re-enable apps whenever you want).

3. Uninstall apps you don't use such as Google Hangouts, Google+, Google Newsstands, Google Play Music, LG SmartWorld, your carrier bloatware (use package disabler for apps you can't disable). Know that these apps run in the background 24/7, sending you push notifications. Consider using a 3rd party Facebook app such as Metal which consumes less battery than Facebook and FB Messenger (or temporarily disable it with Package Disabler when not in use).

3. Install Greenify and use manual hibernation every once in a while (I use the widget shortcut). Some apps will always auto start (Facebook & FB Messenger) but other apps will not start again until you open it. You can also use LG Package Disabler to temporarily disable apps and then re-enable it later. It also frees up RAM. I don't recommend auto hibernation.

4. Install ForceDoze. Standby time will be improved vastly.. you'll have to use ADB to install it (Google the instructions). ForceDoze forces the phone to go into Doze Mode immediately after you turn off the screen, Doze is an Android feature but only turns on after a long period of inactivity.

5. Enable Data Saver mode.. it will restrict apps from using mobile data (you can customize which apps you allow).

6. Check your mobile data settings and make sure they're correct, sometimes the phone is searching for a signal in the wrong towers and that kills the battery.

7. Consider turning off WiFi and Data off when not in use, I think all LG phones have the data on/off toggle shortcut.. AT&T and Samsung removed that shortcut. You can go to WiFi advanced settings and have WiFi turned off automatically when the screen is off.

8. Disable OS animations: go to settings > about phone > software info > then click build number 5 times. Then go back to settings and you'll see developer options. Turn developer mode on and scroll down to window animation scale, transition animation scale, and animator duration scale.. turn them all off. Might save a bit of battery by taking the GPU load off from the animations from the OS plus it'll be super speedy fast when you're navigating through the OS.

9. The G7 has a new ultra bright mode, don't use that unless needed. Try to use lower brightness.

10. Enable "Battery Saver Mode", I've experienced 1.5-2x battery life with it on. It's actually not that slow (unlike Samsung's battery saver mode), can't tell the difference in speed. Make sure it's set to "always on" when it's enabled.

11. Turn off OK Google voice detection. To check if it's on, say "OK, Google". Kinda creepy it's on by default and Google is hearing everything you say.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Almost all of your solutions are to improve standby time or restrict things I want like constant push notifications or ok google features. My standby time on my V20 is spectacular compared to galaxy phones. It's screen on time I like longer and I need it bright.

It's a great list for people who can tolerate it though.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Almost all of your solutions are to improve standby time or restrict things I want like constant push notifications or ok google features. My standby time on my V20 is spectacular compared to galaxy phones. It's screen on time I like longer and I need it bright.

I agree with your assessment. With that being said, I do like the idea of a package uninstaller.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
1. You have to wait several weeks so that Android can recognize your habits and optimize your phone.

2. Download LG Package Disabler Pro and disable useless LG and bloatware apps that you're not using. There's money back guarantee so if it doesn't work, you can get a refund. Works great with my V20, no need for rooting or any other mods, works straight out the box (this is better than using ADB to disable apps, it's easier and less likely to cause corruption/errors, and best of all, you can re-enable apps whenever you want).

3. Uninstall apps you don't use such as Google Hangouts, Google+, Google Newsstands, Google Play Music, LG SmartWorld, your carrier bloatware (use package disabler for apps you can't disable). Know that these apps run in the background 24/7, sending you push notifications. Consider using a 3rd party Facebook app such as Metal which consumes less battery than Facebook and FB Messenger (or temporarily disable it with Package Disabler when not in use).

3. Install Greenify and use manual hibernation every once in a while (I use the widget shortcut). Some apps will always auto start (Facebook & FB Messenger) but other apps will not start again until you open it. You can also use LG Package Disabler to temporarily disable apps and then re-enable it later. It also frees up RAM. I don't recommend auto hibernation.

4. Install ForceDoze. Standby time will be improved vastly.. you'll have to use ADB to install it (Google the instructions). ForceDoze forces the phone to go into Doze Mode immediately after you turn off the screen, Doze is an Android feature but only turns on after a long period of inactivity.

5. Enable Data Saver mode.. it will restrict apps from using mobile data (you can customize which apps you allow).

6. Check your mobile data settings and make sure they're correct, sometimes the phone is searching for a signal in the wrong towers and that kills the battery.

7. Consider turning off WiFi and Data off when not in use, I think all LG phones have the data on/off toggle shortcut.. AT&T and Samsung removed that shortcut. You can go to WiFi advanced settings and have WiFi turned off automatically when the screen is off.

8. Disable OS animations: go to settings > about phone > software info > then click build number 5 times. Then go back to settings and you'll see developer options. Turn developer mode on and scroll down to window animation scale, transition animation scale, and animator duration scale.. turn them all off. Might save a bit of battery by taking the GPU load off from the animations from the OS plus it'll be super speedy fast when you're navigating through the OS.

9. The G7 has a new ultra bright mode, don't use that unless needed. Try to use lower brightness.

10. Enable "Battery Saver Mode", I've experienced 1.5-2x battery life with it on. It's actually not that slow (unlike Samsung's battery saver mode), can't tell the difference in speed. Make sure it's set to "always on" when it's enabled.

11. Turn off OK Google voice detection. To check if it's on, say "OK, Google". Kinda creepy it's on by default and Google is hearing everything you say.
Great list. The other thing that people can do is, set mobile phone to 4G (or 3G) instead of LTE. LTE is generally more battery draining than 4g. I don't even notice any real world difference when browsing but I do notice the antenna bars are higher on 4G than on LTE

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Strange to me to see battery complaints. I feel like mine is sipping battery compared to the last 3 flagship phones I've had. It might not spec as strong in the battery dept as some other phones, but I personally don't need it to. I throw it on the quick charge once a day and I'm golden.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Strange to me to see battery complaints. I feel like mine is sipping battery compared to the last 3 flagship phones I've had. It might not spec as strong in the battery dept as some other phones, but I personally don't need it to. I throw it on the quick charge once a day and I'm golden.

I'm not even charging it at all during the day and I'm still over 30% by the end of the day. It utilizes battery much better than any of my Samsung phones I've had. For this and other reasons, I'm loving my first LG!

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm not even charging it at all during the day and I'm still over 30% by the end of the day. It utilizes battery much better than any of my Samsung phones I've had. For this and other reasons, I'm loving my first LG!

My first LG too. I always admired their bold efforts to do something great, but felt that they came just short of accomplishing it. The G7 is genuinely great. It's not like a Samsung where I'm thinking; "I have to spend how much on this????..."
I had no problem shelling out for a G7.
That audio..... omg....

mike146

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
first timer here as well. so far so good. only problem is pics not as sharp as preferred. but that will come I think with familiarization and possibly updates??? I know I hear those don't come often. but notowt import thing for me.

battery life so far has been good and what I expected. usually get over 6 hours of screen on time so very good for me.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Great list. The other thing that people can do is, set mobile phone to 4G (or 3G) instead of LTE. LTE is generally more battery draining than 4g. I don't even notice any real world difference when browsing but I do notice the antenna bars are higher on 4G than on LTE

I never thought about that, thanks for that tip! I just turn off data using the data on/off toggle shortcut when not in use.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks to LG's optimized and lightweight OS and efficient LCD screen! Samsung has a lot of bloatware/services and high resolution icons, plus AMOLED uses more battery than LCD (despite the misconception that it doesn't).

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My first LG too. I always admired their bold efforts to do something great, but felt that they came just short of accomplishing it. The G7 is genuinely great. It's not like a Samsung where I'm thinking; "I have to spend how much on this????..."
I had no problem shelling out for a G7.
That audio..... omg....

Exactly! Great price but the hardware does not disappoint.. LG is Samsung's cousin. Samsung is getting too confident with their prices, thinking they are Apple. LG is not afraid to try something different. The S9 was such a disappointment.. too boring! The G7 was a true successor to the G6 with vast improvements! Of course it's not perfect but it's darn good. Good job LG!

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

LG is known to have a very lightweight OS and excellent standby time.