To Custom Launcher or Not To. custom Launcher.... That is the Question [emoji57]

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I am a long time Nova Launcher user, but I held off on installing it with the G7 ThinQ. Mainly because the G7 already has the most important features that I can't live without...

1) Swipe-down for notifications. In fact, the G7's navigation button is arguably better than a swipe because I can press the button from within any app.

2) Double-tap to wake/sleep.

3) Swipe-down for Apps menu/shade.

Did I miss anything? What are your thoughts? What Nova feature can't you live without? Has anyone installed a 3rd party launcher yet?

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't use an app drawer with Nova instead I swipe down to access the apps. My G7 is waiting for me at home and I plan on playing with it tonight. I'm coming from an S7 and I never liked TouchWiz so I'm hoping their interface is better. If not I'll be back to Nova. I like the fact that LG gives you the option to take away the app drawer button and also that annoying notch.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I am a long time Nova Launcher user, but I held off on installing it with the G7 ThinQ. Mainly because the G7 already has the most important features that I can't live without...

1) Swipe-down for notifications. In fact, the G7's navigation button is arguably better than a swipe because I can press the button from within any app.

2) Double-tap to wake/sleep.

3) Swipe-down for Apps menu/shade.

Did I miss anything? What are your thoughts? What Nova feature can't you live without? Has anyone installed a 3rd party launcher yet?

I'm in the same boat as you.

I usually use Nova Prime but was thinking of not using it when I get my LG G7. I wanna go as bare-bones as possible on this phone.

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you.

I usually use Nova Prime but was thinking of not using it when I get my LG G7. I wanna go as bare-bones as possible on this phone.
Curious to know what you think. Hit me up afterwards and tell me if you can live without Nova.

idon12no

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been using smart launcher 5, but I've been hoping to go barebones too. Swipe down and Google page a left swipe away is pretty handy. And I don't want anything messing with the 5 hour SOT I've been getting.

biswasd

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Q: any one found if it's possible to swipe down in the middle of the home screen to Pull Down the notification shade? This is one of the main gestures I miss from Nova Launcher.

The problem with installing Nova Launcher is that you deactivate fingerprint scanner when you select double tap to "screen lock" from the nova gestures menu.

So i'm hoping I don't have to install nova just for this one missing feature (swipe down to expand notification shade)....

Any one else found a way to activate this gesture on stock launcher????

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Q: any one found if it's possible to swipe down in the middle of the home screen to Pull Down the notification shade? This is one of the main gestures I miss from Nova Launcher.

The problem with installing Nova Launcher is that you deactivate fingerprint scanner when you select double tap to "screen lock" from the nova gestures menu.

So i'm hoping I don't have to install nova just for this one missing feature (swipe down to expand notification shade)....

Any one else found a way to activate this gesture on stock launcher????
Read my original post above... You can add a button to the back bar to see your notifications. (Trust me - as a long time Nova user who CAN'T live without the Swipe-down gesture, the button is much better because you can tap it to reveal your notifications from ANY screen).

dakranii

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
I like using Microsoft's launcher. And I use the notification pull-down button as well, Issemann, big fan of it.

InkedScreenshot_2018-06-06-14-14-32_LI.jpg

As for gestures, it has a lot of options. I'm not sure how this compares to Nova or others

Screenshot_2018-06-06-14-21-20.jpg

Last edited:

Crua46

Jun 6, 2018
Visit site
Ive been using a launcher called Evie, so far it seems to have all the things i love about LG's launcher while making it a lot more streamline. Definitely prefer it over Nova :)

biswasd

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
love NOVA, BUT not going to install it due to the following:

1) nova double to tap to lock screen requires admin privilges which disables fingerprint scanner, face unlock and voice unlock.

essentially, i have to either use pattern or 4 digit pin to unlock my phone which ruins the experience for me...my $.02

is there any way to pull down from the middle of the screen to pull down the notification window as with nova launcher? i'm trying to find a stock setting that allows this like on samsung phones, but can't find one.....

biswasd

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
does microsoft launcher require administrator priviliges to enable double tap to lock screen like nova? I would think so b/c this is an android requirement...if so, then i'd run into the same problems as with nova where it disables fingerprint and face unlock etc.

anyone?

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what you guys are talking about so maybe I'm missing something. I'm using Nova on my G7 and both fingerprint and face unlock work flawlessly.

I too wanted to use the stock launcher but ultimately there are features of Nova that the stock one doesn't have.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious to know which features you're referring to.
There are so many, gesture support, Google feed, actions using sesame shortcuts and many others. Nova has so many features you can literally change anything you want. For me though lack of gesture support is a big one.

Last edited:

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
There are so many, gesture support, Google feed, actions using sesame shortcuts and many others. Nova has so many features you can literally change anything you want. For me though lack of gesture support and Google feed is a big one.
I like that I can put my apps in a list View and not have the page view. Don't get me wrong. The LG G7 launcher is way better than the Samsung Touch Wiz.
Interesting. I'm a big Nova fan as well, but was willing to give the LG launcher a solid shot (as this is my first LG device) and wanted to conserve some RAM (Nova tends to gobble up memory on my previous devices).

So far, I'm pleased that LG was able to provide an ample replacement for my favorite Nova features... Swipe-down for notifications and Double-tap to show/hide the screen. And Oreo already takes care of Sesame shortcuts.

However, I do miss swipe-up on icons to launch a second app.

biswasd

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I'm a big Nova fan as well, but was willing to give the LG launcher a solid shot (as this is my first LG device) and wanted to conserve some RAM (Nova tends to gobble up memory on my previous devices).

So far, I'm pleased that LG was able to provide an ample replacement for my favorite Nova features... Swipe-down for notifications and Double-tap to show/hide the screen. And Oreo already takes care of Sesame shortcuts.

However, I do miss swipe-up on icons to launch a second app.

How does one enable swipe down for notifications?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38