Aren't you glad LG went with LCD?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Again the implementation makes your argument invalid when applied to smartphones.

It seems pretty valid to me, lighting up each tiny pixels seems to draw more power, especially white pixels. If you're going to debunk it, then at least show something to prove it.

Last edited:

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It's somewhat amazing how much time has to be spent combating the misinformation spread by one person.

Okay, where is your statistical and scientific proof OLED is more energy efficient? Where? Can't find it. There's been a test and the results were given, pretty simple. There is no deception or lies here, just using factual evidence.

It doesn't really matter to the average person because it still depends on your device, the battery size, and usage habits. This was just a real life test with results. It won't affect you at all so no need to be upset with the results.

Last edited:

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Again the implementation makes your argument invalid when applied to smartphones.

How exactly is it invalid? Where is your evidence that it DOES save more battery? So basically you're just basing it on an assumption that it does and using your own theories with nothing to back it up. The test was shown two identical devices but one OLED and one LCD.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
LG G7's MLCD+ display technology explained:

https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-g7-thinq-mlcd-display-861285/

"LG Display engineers told us power consumption is lower than OLED displays too, which might have been part of the decision to pick this tech over the POLED panel the company used in the V30."

The reason why LG went with LCD was possibly because of better battery life. People are upset that the battery capacity is small, but don't realize the new technology that's included within the display itself, plus new processor and operation system.

LG-M-Explained.jpg

Last edited:

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Listen to a professional explain it:

At 5:45 "... As brightness of the display increases , its depiction of white becomes less accurate... White backgrounds consume significantly more power in AMOLED displays than IPS ones since all sub pixels must be set to max brightness whereas IPS lighting provides consistent lighting from the backlight underneath so often manufacturers will often limit the brightness of some sub pixels in these AMOLED displays to conserve battery life..."

https://youtu.be/Unry0ZDMFrQ

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Listen to a professional explain it:

At 5:45 "... As brightness of the display increases , its depiction of white becomes less accurate... White backgrounds consume significantly more power in AMOLED displays than IPS ones since all sub pixels must be set to max brightness whereas IPS lighting provides consistent lighting from the backlight underneath so often manufacturers will often limit the brightness of some sub pixels in these AMOLED displays to conserve battery life..."

https://youtu.be/Unry0ZDMFrQ

We know how it works. Overall AMOLED is more efficient. Key word....Overall

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I think the whole VR market is slowly changing.. the Oculus Go is only $199.99 and you don't need anything else. Makes better sense to have a separate VR unit.. much better experience and content. Sorry but Google's VR is weak.. Google only provides a small amount of contribution such as basic VR apps and the Google Cardboard. The Oculus Go has already been well established, porting over content from the Samsung Gear VR (partnered with Oculus). LG attempted VR poorly with the G5 and "friends" VR unit but it was junk.. they should just focus on making phones not VR and I think LG understands that. The Google VR and cardboard days are done, lacks content plus Google's refusal to put a micro SD card slot on their phone limits the amount of content one could load on to it.
Erm Google have the daydream which is very good and has a range of apps that work with it.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Based on reports of an LG OLED screen on the Pixel 2 XL that gets a lot of negatives, i am very happy with the display on my G7

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Based on reports of an LG OLED screen on the Pixel 2 XL that gets a lot of negatives, i am very happy with the display on my G7

Reports that are mostly parrotted commentary of a few early reports. If I believed everything I read I wouldn't ever buy a phone. Sometimes you just have to test the water for yourself.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I am telling people that AMOLED being more battery efficient than LCD is not entirely true, then sending proof of why I think so with link to my sources. You are saying, no it's not true with nothing to back it up, basically saying I am right because I said so. So I guess facts and evidence don't matter?

Also, I don't know why you're bringing up the V20 on here, I'm talking about AMOLED panels vs LCD, strange to bring that up. BTW I don't know why it affects you personally, it doesn't mean your current device has bad battery... battery life is still dependent on a variety of things, I'm just making 1 statement about the OLED panels, using sources to back it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I am telling people that AMOLED being more battery efficient than LCD is not entirely true, then sending proof of why I think so with link to my sources. You are saying, no it's not true with nothing to back it up, basically saying I am right because I said so. So I guess facts and evidence don't matter?

Also, I don't know why you're bringing up the V20 on here, I'm talking about AMOLED panels vs LCD, strange to bring that up. BTW I don't know why it affects you personally, it doesn't mean your current device has bad battery... battery life is still dependent on a variety of things, I'm just making 1 statement about the OLED panels, using sources to back it up.

Theres no such thing as not entirely true. There is true and there is false.

Using one sole source talking about how effcient LCD panels are on PCs bares little relevance to how we use the same type of hardware on smartphones. I tried to explain that to you several posts ago but it didn't sink in.
Anyway I have nothing further to say on this topic in this thread.

Last edited:

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site

Sorry but no. You are consistently repeating statement that you know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, are entirely untrue. I have a guess as to why, but since I don't know it to be true, I will not elaborate on that part. But it is a simple fact that you have made dozens of threads repeating the same false claims despite the entire community having tried to explain the flaws in your arguments. But you don't listen to any of us, instead you just lie more and more. Why does it take so many threads and so many people to try to get you to see reason? So many people have tried to get you to understand how things actually work, whether it be displays, megapixels, or whatever.

You really believe you, and you alone, know more about mobile technology than the entirety of the mobile technology community, including the best of the hardware and software companies? Don't you ever consider that to be arrogant? The only reason that I and others even bother to engage with you is because it is vital to the integrity of the community to fight back against misinformation when it presents itself and luckily, you have made it easy to identify misinformation, as it exists in nearly every single one of your threads.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I wish this thread would be close as it is just back and forth arguing between people. it never seems to get anywhere and it's really a waste of everybody's time. Moderator if there's any way you can close this thread please do.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
No; I would have much rather seen what advancements LG's done in the past 10 months on LED displays than to see them continue to waste time and money on LCD displays for mobile.

Agreed. They need to push forward with a technology that is clearly the future. And they will.

cache11

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
The only screen brighter and better is on the Note 8. My business partner has the G7 and I have the Note 8 and it is easier to read in direct sunlight, but the G7 is very, very good.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer