What is up with the bland widgets??

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I feel I might be doing something wrong with the widgets. It's 2018 (as far as I recall) but this phone has plain, grey looking weather and clock widgets that couldn't be uglier. It's almost comical how bad they are. Even my first smartphone from 8 or 9 years ago had better looking widgets.

Are we supposed to unlock or do something to make these look normal? Yes, I know I can download widgets but I'm convinced stock isn't supposed to look like this on a flagship phone. Something seems wrong.

Device is T-Mobile version.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
only thing I miss coming from HTC 10 is my flip clock weather widget.

I love the HTC 10 and am currently transferring everything over to the G7. Though that phone was amazing, the G7 is a nice step up in screen, cam, audio (incredibly), settings, etc but two things that baffle me are that the auto brightness is not adjustable and the widgets are trash.

mike146

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
I love the HTC 10 and am currently transferring everything over to the G7. Though that phone was amazing, the G7 is a nice step up in screen, cam, audio (incredibly), settings, etc but two things that baffle me are that the auto brightness is not adjustable and the widgets are trash.

I use 50 bright inside and if outside usually up to 95. Don't like 100 on anything. Swipe down and bright adjust is right there so don't find it a problem to do manual.

And we all agree widgets suck. I still haven't found a replacement I am happy with.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I use 50 bright inside and if outside usually up to 95. Don't like 100 on anything. Swipe down and bright adjust is right there so don't find it a problem to do manual.

And we all agree widgets suck. I still haven't found a replacement I am happy with.

The rather dim auto bright is a real problem for me. I live in AZ and generally keep my office dark so, as I go from one room to another, and outside, the phone needs to be adjusted. I will say that super bright is a god send as I've never been able to read a smartphone screen in direct AZ sunlight until now.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I feel I might be doing something wrong with the widgets. It's 2018 (as far as I recall) but this phone has plain, grey looking weather and clock widgets that couldn't be uglier. It's almost comical how bad they are. Even my first smartphone from 8 or 9 years ago had better looking widgets.

Are we supposed to unlock or do something to make these look normal? Yes, I know I can download widgets but I'm convinced stock isn't supposed to look like this on a flagship phone. Something seems wrong.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder, and this is simply in my opinion a clash of design tastes. I mean nobody I've seen so far complains about the plain white monochrome transparent weather and clock widgets on the Samsung, and so far you're the first one I've seen to complain for the LG.

Not everyone likes the design choices other people make, because those people thought it looked nice. Being a flagship or not doesn't affect your preference going against the preference of LG's design team.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Ugly is in the eye of the beholder, and this is simply in my opinion a clash of design tastes. I mean nobody I've seen so far complains about the plain white monochrome transparent weather and clock widgets on the Samsung, and so far you're the first one I've seen to complain for the LG.

Not everyone likes the design choices other people make, because those people thought it looked nice. Being a flagship or not doesn't affect your preference going against the preference of LG's design team.

While there's some that may enjoy obscuring their wallpaper with large, grey cubes that contain copious amounts of wasted space, I'm going to go out on a limb and stand by my statement that they are "ugly".

I respect that tastes run unique (my business is built on this principle), LG doesn't build their refrigerators to have excessively large plastic panels framing water dispensers. I feel that the widget choice is less a matter of design taste and more one of neglect.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

One word: XWidget. You won't regret it. Very beautiful clock/weather widgets, HUGE selection. LG slimmed down on the phone's software, they're known to have a less bloated device. Try XWidget, it's free on the Play Store (Pro version available too).

Screenshot_2018-06-16-17-47-25.jpgScreenshot_2018-06-16-17-47-34.jpg