Want 6gb ram. Will it work the same in US?

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
I'm looking at the international version because I think 4gb ram is a slap in the face. Anyone know if the internals radio wise would be the same to work on Tmobile?

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Not sure but 4gb rams seems to be fine with me. I wish it had bigger battery though. 3000mah is just bit small IMO.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I've never seen anyone show how 6g ram is of any benefit over 4 in practical use. Anyway, I've seen imports that are sold as internationally unlocked. If be looking for something like that, from a place that will refund you if it turns out to be bogus (like ebay rather than an independent site, Craigslist, etc).

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, the one thing I wish it had more of was battery capacity. an extra 300-500 mHa would be nice.

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
No it won't work on T-Mobile. T-Mobile uses Band 2 (1900 MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850 MHz), Band 12 (700 MHz), Band 66 (Extension of band 4 on 1700/2100 MHz), Band 71 (600 MHz)

The 6gb version of the G7 has these bands
4G: LTE FDD 2100 (B1)/1800 (B3)/2600 (B7)/900 (B8);
TDD 2300 (B40)/2600 (B38)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No app that I know of needs even 4GB to run in. Almost all of them can run in less than 2GB. About the only 2 reasons for 6GB are future-proofing (who knows - in 2020, most apps may need at least 5GB of RAM) or running multiple apps (at least 3 or 4 large ones) at once. And that's going to be difficult to justify. Run your banking app and your password app and your Google authentication app at once? That's still nowhere near 2GB (unless whoever wrote your banking app was trying to be cute - most of them are just web front ends).

More storage? Yes. 64GB might be a bit tight for some. (But with an SDXC slot, that's not a problem. You could watch full-length movies for a 24 hour plane flight, and not get even close to filling a few 256GB or 512GB cards.) But 4GB of RAM should be more than enough for at least a few years. 3000maH of battery. With an IPS display, that might not be too bad.

But the fact that the G710EM doesn't cover any of TMobile USA's frequencies on 4G would eliminate that from consideration. If you're looking at AY&T, make sure you're not where they're using Band 17 (the EM doesn't cover it). And Sprint and Verizon have their own models - G710PM and G710VMP, respectively.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
No app that I know of needs even 4GB to run in. Almost all of them can run in less than 2GB. About the only 2 reasons for 6GB are future-proofing (who knows - in 2020, most apps may need at least 5GB of RAM) or running multiple apps (at least 3 or 4 large ones) at once. And that's going to be difficult to justify. Run your banking app and your password app and your Google authentication app at once? That's still nowhere near 2GB (unless whoever wrote your banking app was trying to be cute - most of them are just web front ends).

More storage? Yes. 64GB might be a bit tight for some. (But with an SDXC slot, that's not a problem. You could watch full-length movies for a 24 hour plane flight, and not get even close to filling a few 256GB or 512GB cards.) But 4GB of RAM should be more than enough for at least a few years. 3000maH of battery. With an IPS display, that might not be too bad.

But the fact that the G710EM doesn't cover any of TMobile USA's frequencies on 4G would eliminate that from consideration. If you're looking at AY&T, make sure you're not where they're using Band 17 (the EM doesn't cover it). And Sprint and Verizon have their own models - G710PM and G710VMP, respectively.

Yea, 6gig is clearly a marketing trick. And, apparently it works often enough to justify the build expense.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
It's not a marketing trick when it could clearly hold apps in memory much better with an extra 2gb ram

I've never seen it proven to be beneficial in real world use. I think you're greatly overlooking the power of marketing and specifically tech marketing. It's the same reason gamers buy mice with insane levels of dpi, even though there's no actual benefit to it. It makes them feel like they're getting something better.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I've never seen it proven to be beneficial in real world use. I think you're greatly overlooking the power of marketing and specifically tech marketing. It's the same reason gamers buy mice with insane levels of dpi, even though there's no actual benefit to it. It makes them feel like they're getting something better.

My experience with a 4gb S8 and a 6gb Note8 running similar software tells me that the extra 2gb DEFINITELY made a difference. It won't make your phone "open" apps faster from a dormant state, but the fact that more processes are kept running in the background allows them to not have to reload as often, which can save time and battery life.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
If a device needs 6 gb of RAM to run efficiently, then it should get it for sure. But the iPhone X seems to work great at 3 gb and the iPhone 7 can do it with 2 gb.

If the device commands a lot of resources, then 6 gb is a must. This Pixel 2 in my hand though, works just fine on 4.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180702-145830.jpg
    Screenshot_20180702-145830.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 46

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If a device needs 6 gb of RAM to run efficiently, then it should get it for sure. But the iPhone X seems to work great at 3 gb and the iPhone 7 can do it with 2 gb.

If the device commands a lot of resources, then 6 gb is a must. This Pixel 2 in my hand though, works just fine on 4.

Oh don't get me wrong, a well optimitized device with stock Android or a light skin should still run great with 4gb. I'm just saying that there are some cases where the extra RAM could make a difference with certain devices.

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
Oh don't get me wrong, a well optimitized device with stock Android or a light skin should still run great with 4gb. I'm just saying that there are some cases where the extra RAM could make a difference with certain devices.

And this is my point. Lg and Samsung have extra software to run. That's what worries me. I also have a 6gb ram Note 8 and it is the first Samsung that has been fun to use imo. I'm going to go ahead and get the G7 with Tmobile.. I just hope it's an upgrade or at least on par performance wise

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking at the international version because I think 4gb ram is a slap in the face. Anyone know if the internals radio wise would be the same to work on Tmobile?

Wait for the LG G7 Plus which has 128GB Storage and 6GB RAM (just like the V30+). Not sure when it will be released... Regarding the radio bands, you should be fine.. it depends on your carrier though. Most unlocked phones have a pretty universal band support and you should get decent internet connection. Check the band support and then check your carrier's current bands. If you live in a rural area, you'd want to stick to a carrier phone.

BTW 4GB RAM is good enough, in terms of gaming they don't use all of the RAM but rely on the GPU. If you're an extremely heavy multitasker then maybe you might need 6GB but 4GB is adequate. Plus more RAM equals weaker battery life, needs extra power.

BTW using the Android Central website on the mobile broswer requires A LOT of RAM.. this website loads very slow due to the lack of optimization, too much graphics to load, and the heavy amounts of ads. Other than that, 4GB is plenty.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
And this is my point. Lg and Samsung have extra software to run. That's what worries me. I also have a 6gb ram Note 8 and it is the first Samsung that has been fun to use imo. I'm going to go ahead and get the G7 with Tmobile.. I just hope it's an upgrade or at least on par performance wise

I loved my V20 and I have been tempted by the G7, but I've seen 3 demo phones and all 3 had SIGNIFICANT light bleed in the display. That concerns me. Plus, I would much prefer a larger battery over a "boom box" speaker, I absolutely never use my phones speaker when the phone is just sitting on a table. I'm hoping that the V40 comes with a bigger battery instead of this feature.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Wait for the LG G7 Plus which has 128GB Storage and 6GB RAM (just like the V30+). Not sure when it will be released... Regarding the radio bands, you should be fine.. it depends on your carrier though. Most unlocked phones have a pretty universal band support and you should get decent internet connection. Check the band support and then check your carrier's current bands. If you live in a rural area, you'd want to stick to a carrier phone.

BTW 4GB RAM is good enough, in terms of gaming they don't use all of the RAM but rely on the GPU. If you're an extremely heavy multitasker then maybe you might need 6GB but 4GB is adequate. Plus more RAM equals weaker battery life, needs extra power.

BTW using the Android Central website on the mobile broswer requires A LOT of RAM.. this website loads very slow due to the lack of optimization, too much graphics to load, and the heavy amounts of ads. Other than that, 4GB is plenty.

Genuine question, can someone explain to me how "more RAM equals weaker battery life, needs extra power" is true? From my understanding of how Android works, that seems to make zero sense.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Android Central running slow is more likely a bandiwith or low signal issue than it is ram.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Genuine question, can someone explain to me how "more RAM equals weaker battery life, needs extra power" is true? From my understanding of how Android works, that seems to make zero sense.

It's a minimal difference at best that you wouldn't even notice.

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
I'm the OP and so far I really am loving this phone. Had it for a few days only so I'm hoping it stays peppy. Btw, no light bleed to report.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez