Software update from AT&T!

stugatsa

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Software update from AT&T vs LightFlow app

i had no problems downloading the value pack saturday morning. downloaded in about 4 minutes and installed/restarted over the course of another 15min or so. my problem is.... since the value pack allows control of LED colours for notifications.... it overrides my LightFlow app settings. that would be fine except, it only has like 5 colors to choose from. LightFlow has tons. LED color control and variety is my biggest desire in a phone... I had it, and now it seems gone. I'd uninstall the value pack if I could/knew how, just so that i could have LightFlow take control again. Any suggestions?

bad1550

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Software update from AT&T vs LightFlow app

i had no problems downloading the value pack saturday morning. downloaded in about 4 minutes and installed/restarted over the course of another 15min or so. my problem is.... since the value pack allows control of LED colours for notifications.... it overrides my LightFlow app settings. that would be fine except, it only has like 5 colors to choose from. LightFlow has tons. LED color control and variety is my biggest desire in a phone... I had it, and now it seems gone. I'd uninstall the value pack if I could/knew how, just so that i could have LightFlow take control again. Any suggestions?

How did you download, wifi? I still am unable to download

Ksutphen

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Ugh, so I called AT&T again (only 45 minutes this time) and asked to be transferred to the next tier of tech support and they said the next would be the "LG" department. She said if the update is not available "my phone" it will always say that. She went on to say that once it is available to my phone is when I will be able to update.

I have never had an issue like this before. It has either been there are no updates available or it downloads the update.

She did mention that if the update is from LG then it is downloaded via WiFi.

I am going to try to see if a new SIM card might help... who knows.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, so I called AT&T again (only 45 minutes this time) and asked to be transferred to the next tier of tech support and they said the next would be the "LG" department. She said if the update is not available "my phone" it will always say that. She went on to say that once it is available to my phone is when I will be able to update.

I have never had an issue like this before. It has either been there are no updates available or it downloads the update.

She did mention that if the update is from LG then it is downloaded via WiFi.

I am going to try to see if a new SIM card might help... who knows.

Calling AT&T Premier's "advanced support" at 800-331-0500 has put me through to a gentleman who seems to know what he is talking about. He mentioned the release date of the value pack, so he's acknowledged that it exists, which is a giant leap forward. He's contacting LG while I'm on hold and trying to work it out with them (instead of blindly dumping me to LG to make a cold call to them).

I'll update this post with the results.

Update 1: The tech tried to get back on the phone with me and apparently cut me off by mistake. So now I have to start over, and the new tech immediately called LG, who disavowed all knowledge of the update and said it was "not official yet". The new tech is now following up with Tier 2. But at least unlike the other number I was using these folks seem persistent. And so it continues...

Update 2: After another 30 minutes, the tech has talked to Tier 2 and the only option is to send me a refurb under warranty. Other than the lack of an update, the phone is perfect, so I'm very hesitant to do a refurb. They are contacting yet another group who is contacting another group who may be able to check to see what "not registered yet" means when my phone is obviously registered (since I can make and receive calls, etc).

Wheeeeeeee....

I'm starting to think that I don't need control over the LED all that badly, and picture-in-picture video isn't all that big a deal. LOL.

Update 3: An hour and 15 minutes in to the second call, I have talked to at least 6 people at both AT&T and LG. No one seems to know who is hosting the update, nor why my phone is "not registered" when I can make phone calls, etc. Some seem aware that the update is available and should be pushed to my device, others do not. I am currently on the line with at least two people, but the latest one seems to be looking pretty deeply into the system at settings and is talking with more confidence than anyone I've heard so far other than the rep I got cut off from on call 1.

Final update: Nothing. Three hours on the phone, and LG claims AT&T needs to fix it, and AT&T says they show it as registered and have no clue why it's not updating. They have offered me a refurb exchange, but I don't want something from the bent can rack to replace my 6-week-old phone.

I'll give it a couple of weeks and reconsider whether the update is worth the risk of getting a possibly flawed replacement.

Sigh...

Last edited:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Factory reset it again, no dice.

Does anyone know if there is a way other than OTA to load this update? I keep getting "Your device is not registered yet." when I try to check for the update.

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site

Does anyone know if there is a way other than OTA to load this update? I keep getting "Your device is not registered yet." when I try to check for the update.
Grab the drivers and the DLL file from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...57&postcount=1

Get the updated .tot from Here: http://downloads.codefi.re/thecubed/...-07-2013-0.zip

Download the LG Flash Tool v 1.5.10.1120 and the MegaLock.dll from this thread: GSM-Forum and follow the directions in that thread. It needs no serial and will put your phone on the 10k release.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site

Do u have a SIM card in it or is it activated in ur carriers system.

from what ever phone I feel like using today.

Ksutphen

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

Quick Questions,
Did you get the phone when it was first released? If so, did you just change SIM cards?

I went to ATT store today to see what versions their display phones were on, of course it was the new one. However, I did notice then when you try to update them, it says phone is up to date, no update available. SO, that proves that, the phone not registered is NOT normal. I do not want to deal with flashing, rooting or anything else. I do not want to send my phone off to only get some refurbed phone.

I asked about it possibly being a SIM card issue, since this SIM card was originally used on the optimus G. I wonder if using a "new" sim card would resolve this...

FRUSTRATING, I mean how can ATT say the update hasnt been "pushed" to my phone yet.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Do u have a SIM card in it or is it activated in ur carriers system.

Yes, it's activated on the SIM they shipped with it. They have offered me a refurbished replacement, but this one is in perfect physical condition.

Sent from my LG-E980 using AC Forums mobile app

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Grab the drivers and the DLL file from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...57&postcount=1

Get the updated .tot from Here: http://downloads.codefi.re/thecubed/...-07-2013-0.zip

Download the LG Flash Tool v 1.5.10.1120 and the MegaLock.dll from this thread: GSM-Forum and follow the directions in that thread. It needs no serial and will put your phone on the 10k release.

Thanks! I think some of your URLs got truncated, though. But I'll have a look when I have access to my desktop and can spin up a Windows VM.

Sent from my LG-E980 using AC Forums mobile app

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Quick Questions,
Did you get the phone when it was first released? If so, did you just change SIM cards?

No, I got it about 6 weeks ago through the Premier program, and it's still got the "stock" SIM in it, the one they sent already installed.

I do not want to deal with flashing, rooting or anything else. I do not want to send my phone off to only get some refurbed phone.

Ideally, same here, especially sending in the phone I've put in a case and put a screen protector on to keep it like new, replacing it with something from the bent can rack.

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, don't know what happened there. :confused:

Here is where to get the .dll and drivers for the LG OG Pro:
[GUIDE] Fix soft bricks. Flash back to stock using LGFLashTools - xda-developers

This is the latest updated 10k .tot:
Directory list

Here are the directions for installing LG Flash Tools without the need for a serial/fiddling with the computer date. Grab the last version in the list:
LG Flash Tool - Free - no need B2B User/Pass - GSM-Forum

It will wipe your phone so be prepared. It's a PITA to get everything back to the way you like it but it's at least a fresh start on a very stable release. Former root methods are still working on this one.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I had check for updates and it said none was available so I set my time manually a day ahead and i checked again and it updated.

Ksutphen

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Well, I finally gave up on ATT and went to the dark side. I flashed and even rooted after updating. Finally have the "k" version.

Like jdk2 said, it was a PITA but everything works and I did not have to deal with those idiots at att.

stugatsa

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
My LightFlow appears to be working again. It just needed a simple uninstall and reinstall (I thought I had done that the first time, but I think all I did was delete the icon off the homescreen instead of actually uninstalling the app... I'm new to Android). But yeah, LightManager and LightFlow both work. LightFlow has way more options. The value pack LED options would be ok if they had more than 5 colors to choose from.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
It will wipe your phone so be prepared. It's a PITA to get everything back to the way you like it but it's at least a fresh start on a very stable release. Former root methods are still working on this one.

Tried it this evening on a Windows XP virtual machine running on Linux Mint, no dice - kept starting the update and throwing an error F0000002.

I have a Windows 7 actual machine at work, I'll give it a go there.

Thanks.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Update: Loaded everything on a Windows 7 actual machine as opposed to an XP Virtual one, and the flash is running along nicely.

The one thing in none of the instructions, but I guess it's obvious enough, is that a window comes up asking for information. You select the DLL for the first bit and the firmware image for the second.

Download:
1. LG Flash Tool
2. DLL to talk to your specific phone (LGE980_20130314_LGFLASHv151)
3. MegaLock.dll
4. Phone driver software.
5. Firmware image (.tot file)
6. Decompression software capable of handling RAR files.

Prep:
Decompress the ZIP and RAR files.
Copy any pictures, music, whatever somewhere else. You will lose EVERYTHING in this flash.

Sequence:
1. Install the LG FlashTool (I used 1.4.1) and be sure NOT to check "run" when the installation is complete, then copy the MegaLock.dll into the C:\LG\LGFlashTool directory overwriting the existing one. Do not run the software yet.
2. Install the driver for the phone, and hook it up in Download mode so the computer recognizes it.
3. Go into Device Manager and set the phone up to use COM41 from whatever it happens to be (mine was COM4). Click "discover hardware changes" to make sure it sticks.
4. **IMPORTANT** unplug the USB cable but leave the phone in download mode.
5. Start the FlashTool and a window will come up. For the first prompt, select the DLL you downloaded (LGE980_20130314_LGFLASHv151.dll) and for the second prompt you select the TOT file you downloaded.
6. Press the big yellow arrow, and wait until the PORT1 (COM41) window says ready. Wait for it. Really. Keep waiting. Does it say "ready" yet? No? Keep waiting.
7. When, and only when, the PORT1 window reads READY, do you plug your phone back in. Flash will start.

Happily running E98010k. YAY!