Users Beware - how i got booted from sprint

jmrwbilly

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok this weekend recieved a "warning" letter from sprint saying i'm over using data roaming..after several phone calls today for an explaination on how since have unlimited plan.. was told it is unlimited on a monthly basis, but in sprints terms that we all signed, there is a line that on a 6 month average i can't exceed 300Mb roaming per month..long story short.. sprint terminated my line and voided the contract(no cancel fee thank god).. just got back from verizon, took advantage of promotion if purchase 4g phone get 4GB data for the price of 2... wanted to say thank you to all the great developers on here!! made my optimus work having! Thanks again!

fyi.. if anyone wants a out..use the crap out of your roaming data..lol

ps Rezound is Awesome!!

THANKS AGAIN!!

swg0101

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I consider you lucky then, usually it is a moving average of 3 months only instead of 6... I guess too many people are abusing this... 3G Verizon PRL roaming FTW... lol

slyugo

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey everybody got the same letter here; I think it's for the best, as I moved out of Sprint coverage a couple months back, though I have a feeling I'm really gonna miss unlimited data :( Either way, I, too, wanted to say thanks to all you guys for turning what seemed like a nightmare of a phone at first into a much more tolerable device. It's a bittersweet feeling to let go of all the work I've done on this guy and my excitement for HydroROM :p But when I head back toward Sprint towers I think I'll be back ;)

darkavenger

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Didn't I just read an article about how sprint actually does throttle those they deem 'abusive' I remember that they said less than 1% of users are effected, I wonder if this is what they are talking about? If a user is deemed abusive for a few consecutive months they get a warning letter/booted?

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
i think i'm one of the throttled users.... with over 11GB of data last month.... starts running real slow and sometimes gets no 3G in areas i used to have full 3G...

pdxguy77

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
havent gotten that letter yet...but my 3g doesnt function right anymore since i went to gROM. have to wireless connect to networks to get full internet speed. so my data usage is not on 3g much anymore.

jmrwbilly

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
The way Sprint handled it was messed up, got the warning on Saturday, by Monday at noon, they blocked data on the one line, the second line on my account was untouched. They at least could have gone about things with a little more tact

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk

On3wheels

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
havent gotten that letter yet...but my 3g doesnt function right anymore since i went to gROM. have to wireless connect to networks to get full internet speed. so my data usage is not on 3g much anymore.

if you switched from ZVD to ZVH when you went to gROM, you might want to look into re-provisioning your device and update your profile and prl. I not too sure how to go about doin it but ive read a lot on hear about that helping people with 3g and signal troubles on ZVH.

generosity

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
if you switched from ZVD to ZVH when you went to gROM, you might want to look into re-provisioning your device and update your profile and prl. I not too sure how to go about doin it but ive read a lot on hear about that helping people with 3g and signal troubles on ZVH.

Updating profile and PRL is easy - you do that from the Settings > About Phone menu. Not sure about re-provisioning. I've been having all kinds of problems with data and wifi disconnecting all the time since updating to ZVH (also on gROM) and PRL/Profile updating has not helped.

I want to go back to ZVD, make sure it works there, then try upgrading to ZVH again, but I kinda want to wait for HydroROM so I can do it all at once... Oh, decisions.

DoesItMatter

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I would so love to do this but I just bought my sister an Iphone 4s for Christmas and she is loving it.
So I'll be stuck with Sprint for at least the forseeable future.

I got no gripes about their service though and I get good coverage in the Pacific NW.

kcerica

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for sharing.
I was wondering if sprint is cancelling contracts for roaming too much couldn't someone who wanted to use this to their advantage to get out of a contract make all of their calls "roam only" in the roam preferences using roam control opimus from nick7 post so that every call would go toward their "free" roaming minutes (even though you're not really roaming but it'd go through as a roaming call?)
Does anyone know what their actual cut-off is for how many minutes or how much network usage before they actually send these letters off and cut you off?

jmrwbilly

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know what their actual cut-off is for how many minutes or how much network usage before they actually send these letters off and cut you off?

According to my dealings with Sprint, it's a monthly average over a 6 month period of 900 minutes of talk and/or 300Mbs of data

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: kcerica

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

IME access to a even a modestly good home WLAN is much faster than 3G anyway, though I expect that would partly be a function of how good your carrier's signal is in your area. Just mentioning it as an option for keeping your usage of the carrier network in check. Presumably, if you do have stated (or tacit) limits on your smartphone data plan, the limits on your home WLAN are sure to be more generous.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I never left Verizon, but I picked up sprint. Then dropped Sprint. Lol, the whole data roaming thing is something I didn't want to mess with.

ddamienzz

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
wait can you explain more, what do i have to do to get out of my contract? what did you do/say? i like my phone and unlimited data, the service is good, and this forum makes the optimus s worth it. but the phone is a little out dated. i want 4g, flash and a front facing camera. right now i have a family plan. 3 lines under my moms name(im not yet 18). i really want the galaxy s2 but cant afford to pay the $800 or the $300 termination fee.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
wait can you explain more, what do i have to do to get out of my contract? what did you do/say? i like my phone and unlimited data, the service is good, and this forum makes the optimus s worth it. but the phone is a little out dated. i want 4g, flash and a front facing camera. right now i have a family plan. 3 lines under my moms name(im not yet 18). i really want the galaxy s2 but cant afford to pay the $800 or the $300 termination fee.

Who are you talking too? I never went past 30 with sprint so dropping them was cake. Dropping the SG2 was very difficult though.