rooted, unrooted, bricked, unbricked, stuck in recovery

brattt78

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
it's not spinning at all, it's not the android splash screen, it's just the lg logo. i've let it sit for 15 mins before and nothing.

i tried what you said with the battery pull but it's still stuck at the lg screen

Reactions: Buddlespit

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
is it stuck there with the battery out? You may need to unplug from your computer/wall charger. I'm at a loss now. I'm pretty sure that it's your recovery that's doing you wrong. update.zip has the stock recovery in it, but if you can't fix with kp500 and update.zip isn't working, well.... I'm lost...

Reactions: brattt78

brattt78

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
yes, i unplugged the phone before the battery pull but still nothing. i didn't think update.zip had the stock recovery in it. if it does then this doesn't make sense at all...
well, i'm going to bed, he can live without his phone tonight, i'll start fresh in the am. thanks for trying!

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
ok, let's try this.... toggle sig verify to off, flash update.zip, reboot back into recovery, toggle sig verify off again and flash update.zip one more time

brattt78

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
ok, let's try this.... toggle sig verify to off, flash update.zip, reboot back into recovery, toggle sig verify off again and flash update.zip one more time

the problem with this is that every time i flash update.zip i end up stuck on the lg screen and have to run the emergency recovery again.

prowlingfox

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
You need to flash a new recovery image somehow...But i'm not sure how to do this without a rooted ROM booted up, as you need to enter a superuser adb shell session, and there's no other way to do this without being booted into the rooted OS...

I'm curious, what ROM were you originally trying to use? And why such a strange/outdated recovery?

brattt78

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
i found that i might be rooted after all. when i use the adb shell command, i do get a # which i believe means i'm rooted but i can't get any commands to work so maybe not. i just don't know...

i didn't know it was a strange outdated recovery. it looked fine to me. i was fine with everything i had done until i tried to text him and we realized his texts weren't coming in. when i started digging, i found a bunch of posts and followed bad directions i guess trying to unroot.

prowlingfox

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
the "#" just means that you're in the adb shell program. You have to have an OS in order to be rooted, since the Superuser app is what actually allows you to modify the system partition.

brattt78

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
there's no way to flash the recovery instead of pushing it? the evo has a bootloader that will allow you to install the recovery.img is there any other way to install it? i found "flashable" img files for the optimus v but nothing for the optimus s of course.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe amon-ra recovery can flash the modem in the ZVD update.zip. It might even cause issues with booting if you try. Xionia recovery has special handling of modem flashing so it ignores it and won't cause issues. That is why you can flash the update.zip twice and have it work.

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
OK, well # means root, and you need root, and adb can flash a new recovery from inside of recovery. First things first, find and download a copy of xionia_cwma_12518.6.img or CWMTRecovery_5.0.2.7-th6_thunderc.img onto the root of your sd-card. You can either push the file via adb:

Code:
adb push <local file> /sdcard
don't type in the < >, and you'll find it much easier if you rename the recovery to recovery.img and move it onto the root of your c drive. Then <local file> would just be c:\recovery.img

or, if available, mount via USB storage from your recovery.

Once you have the recovery.img copied over:

Then you need to flash the recovery

Code:
adb shell
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
If that finishes without errors, you'll now be ready to flash the zvd update.zip

brattt78

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Once you have the recovery.img copied over:

Then you need to flash the recovery

Code:
adb shell
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
If that finishes without errors, you'll now be ready to flash the zvd update.zip

i copied the img file using the usb-ms toggle feature on the recovery i have already but it didn't go...

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Ashley>cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell
/ # flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
error opening /sdcard/recovery.img: No such file or directory
/ #

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87