LG Optimus S: 4.4 KitKat?

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: 4.4 KitKat?

Did you by any chance get chromium_org to build for armv5? I'm going to try pulling that chromium lib out of the archlinuxarm image for pi and maybe get browser working. It looks like androidarmv6 is working on an option to enable 'classic webview' as a workaround. I think that's what messed things up for booting, they were doing so much 'unofficial' hacking on frameworks/base. Hopefully it'll settle down soon.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

not yet... it generally goes down before getting there. I'll keep you posted on it though. good luck with the rPi stuff... it's coded for hardfloat, so you may have to mod (a) makefile(s) for the softfloat flags android nomally builds with.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

I managed to get into the settings/superuser/apps and adb. adb still doesn't function.
Keyboard doesn't even function at all for me (tried typing in su in the terminal to see if su was working. Had to go to my sdk folder and run adb shell to find out).
I think I'll wait for one more release before messing with the framework.jar's and framework.apk to see if I can get phone service, mms, sms, and data working. Right now I'm just flashing ROM to spare phone with no service.
Launcher setting no longer work.
I did have the camera app on the right side of the app drawer icon for about 5 seconds after I got to the home screen with first boot. Now nothing.
Back button no longer functions.
WiFi is a no go.
Phone auto reboots at will.
Most settings for the app drawer and taskbar don't work.
Brightness slider still works.
Notification sounds seem to work.
Ringtone sounds. There is only one.
SD card is still not recognized.
Screen off with power button doesn't seem to work.
screen wake with home button doesn't seem to work.
Pattern lock works, although you need to really press down on screen.
Screen timeout changes seem to work.
Thats probably enough to chew on for now.

Question: Would it be helpful to save the output of the terminal after running the make bacon command? I noticed it had a lot of useful info that could help in trying to figure out what is needed to correct errors in the actual ROM. I can save to a flash drive as it's outputting, for future examination.

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

I managed to get into the settings/superuser/apps and adb. adb still doesn't function.
Keyboard doesn't even function at all for me (tried typing in su in the terminal to see if su was working. Had to go to my sdk folder and run adb shell to find out).
I think I'll wait for one more release before messing with the framework.jar's and framework.apk to see if I can get phone service, mms, sms, and data working. Right now I'm just flashing ROM to spare phone with no service.
Launcher setting no longer work.
I did have the camera app on the right side of the app drawer icon for about 5 seconds after I got to the home screen with first boot. Now nothing.
Back button no longer functions.
WiFi is a no go.
Phone auto reboots at will.
Most settings for the app drawer and taskbar don't work.
Brightness slider still works.
Notification sounds seem to work.
Ringtone sounds. There is only one.
SD card is still not recognized.
Screen off with power button doesn't seem to work.
screen wake with home button doesn't seem to work.
Pattern lock works, although you need to really press down on screen.
Screen timeout changes seem to work.
Thats probably enough to chew on for now.

Question: Would it be helpful to save the output of the terminal after running the make bacon command? I noticed it had a lot of useful info that could help in trying to figure out what is needed to correct errors in the actual ROM. I can save to a flash drive as it's outputting, for future examination.
adb works if you turn on usb debugging in settings. Good idea on saving the output of the build. Try 'make -j6 bacon 2>&1 | tee logfile' to send output to both the console and a file.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Silly me. I can't seem to find USB Debugging setting anywhere. I don't even have "Developer Options" available. Just letting you know what I see, to help you improve it.

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

Silly me. I can't seem to find USB Debugging setting anywhere. I don't even have "Developer Options" available. Just letting you know what I see, to help you improve it.

To enable Developer Options in android 4.2 and later you have to go Settings > About phone and tap Build number 7 times. Then Developer options will show up in Settings.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Thanks. I would have never figured that out on my own.
EDIT: Just rebooted into recovery with shell command.
Thanks again.

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

AndyOpie150, I did the build log thing with the tee command on my last build like you suggested. It worked but it generated a 6.3 meg file and slowed down the build time considerably so I don't know if you'd want to do it regularly. I can upload the logfile if you'd like to examine it.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

AndyOpie150, I did the build log thing with the tee command on my last build like you suggested. It worked but it generated a 6.3 meg file and slowed down the build time considerably so I don't know if you'd want to do it regularly. I can upload the logfile if you'd like to examine it.
Yes please. It will make it easier to examine when I control the speed of scolling. I was giving my self vertigo trying to read stuff as it whized by on the terminal. Lol.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

QtADB is now working with this build. This means I can examine any folder or file on the phone (even though the file manager on the phone won't), and do a straight drag and drop to my computer (or vice-a-versa) or from one directory on the phone to another. It can generate logcats. Run shell commands. Run script. Mount/unmount partitons. Flash a recovery. Lots more.

If interested go here: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/517758-playing-qtadb-2.html#post4093175
The Android SDK/adb is necessary as well as a ClockworkMod recovery.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Nice! In aosp at least, you can modify device architecture (TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT, TARGET_CPU_VARIANT)after ctrl-z stopping a build (or after an error) without it forcing an installclean, and it picks up the change. so things that build under armv5 but not armv6 can be tweaked in maybe.

oh, and it probably makes differences; my aosp repo is at 4.4.2 right now. and I've been manually patching in the armv6-vfp tweaks rather than dragging in each whole project from androidarmv6.

dalvik just threw a 'no rule to make dalvik/vm/compiler/codegen/arm/armv6-vfp/CallingConvention.S' and it's not in the androidarmv6 dalvik.
so I got it here, along with the rest of the armv6-vfp folder, and merged what looked good from the blade stuff into the two aosp files which existed already.

Last edited:

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

Nice! In aosp at least, you can modify device architecture (TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT, TARGET_CPU_VARIANT)after ctrl-z stopping a build (or after an error) without it forcing an installclean, and it picks up the change. so things that build under armv5 but not armv6 can be tweaked in maybe.

oh, and it probably makes differences; my aosp repo is at 4.4.2 right now. and I've been manually patching in the armv6-vfp tweaks rather than dragging in each whole project from androidarmv6.

dalvik just threw a 'no rule to make dalvik/vm/compiler/codegen/arm/armv6-vfp/CallingConvention.S' and it's not in the androidarmv6 dalvik.
so I got it here, along with the rest of the armv6-vfp folder, and merged what looked good from the blade stuff into the two aosp files which existed already.
I know I had to change an armv6-vfp flag to armv6 to get cm11 to build. I can't remember exactly what it was that threw the error.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

haven't gotten art to finish again since syncing, and chromium hasn't even teased me by looking near done yet.
some errors go away passing a shared out directory between two repos building the same device with one armv5te and the other armv6.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

this looks interesting.
https://code.google.com/p/armv6-atomic/
the thumb error crashes are because the armv6 won't handle as many registers as the armv7... but this code seems to work around that.

//edit: it's years old, and throws compiler errors. The variable return type has to be different.
the assembly looks good but I'm so out of date on that, address registers are now at least 4x the size they were when I was still current. I need to research more to try to patch that crunk.

//again:
this seems to bypass the first thumb error in art/runtime/atomic.cc
Code:
void QuasiAtomic::Write64(volatile int64_t* addr, int64_t value) {
#if NEED_SWAP_MUTEXES
  MutexLock mu(Thread::Current(), GetSwapMutex(addr));
  *addr = value;
#elif defined(__arm__)
  // The write is done as a swap so that the cache-line is in the exclusive state for the store. If
  // we know that ARM architecture has LPAE (such as Cortex-A15) this isn't necessary and strd will
  // suffice.
/*
  int64_t prev;
  int status;
  do {
    __asm__ __volatile__("@ QuasiAtomic::Write64\n"
        "ldrexd     %0, %H0, [%3]\n"
        "strexd     %1, %4, %H4, [%3]"
        : "=&r" (prev), "=&r" (status), "+m"(*addr)
        : "r" (addr), "r" (value)
        : "cc");
  } while (__builtin_expect(status != 0, 0)); */
			 asm volatile (
			 "ldrexh   r1, [%1]         \n\t" /*exclusive load of addr*/
				 "cmp      r1,  %2          \n\t"/*compare the low reg value == low *addr*/
	#if defined(__thumb__)
				 "ite eq\n\t"
	#endif
				 "strexheq %0,  %3, [%1]\n\t" /*store if eq, strex+eq*/
	#if defined(__thumb__)
				 "clrexne"
	#endif
				 : /*"=&r" (result)*/
				 : "r"(addr), "r"(value),"r"(value)
				 : "r1"
				 );
I dunno if it actually works, ganked it from that armv6_atomic and I'm not positive. there's also more errors to fix in it.

Last edited:

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site

this looks interesting.
https://code.google.com/p/armv6-atomic/
the thumb error crashes are because the armv6 won't handle as many registers as the armv7... but this code seems to work around that.
That should be helpful. I'm switching to more up-to-date device folders from androidarmv6 (was using thekraven's jellybean ones) which I'm hoping will eliminate some of the weird errors I was dealing with before.

dradzanowski

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site

Loaded it onto my phone. I'm ecstatic to see Cyanogen again. I just didn't feel at home with AOKP.
Biggest showstopper at this point is it's not giving me calling. I do have a ZVJ radio with a ZVD patch (alpha 2 version and CWM recovery). Is there a particular radio or patch I should install?
I'm wierded out because I am getting a working PRL number, my phone number, and all the normal stuff that breaks when radio is broken. It's just when I try to call out, it says mobile network not available.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

That should be helpful. I'm switching to more up-to-date device folders from androidarmv6 (was using thekraven's jellybean ones) which I'm hoping will eliminate some of the weird errors I was dealing with before.

I didn't think androidarmv6 had a device folder for the ov/os... Only the p500? Unless your modifying it for our use?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2