[?]About flashing .zips

Alvis

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So if Google apps is a flashable .zip and it does contain .apk's then what if I had a bunch of apps downloaded and in a. .zip and flashed them, I know it won't have the meta-inf folder but its just something I've been wondering.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
So if Google apps is a flashable .zip and it does contain .apk's then what if I had a bunch of apps downloaded and in a. .zip and flashed them, I know it won't have the meta-inf folder but its just something I've been wondering.

Yeah not gonna work as Mr. Devere stated. The script inside the META-INF folder tells the ZIP flash process what files go where. If you have a ZIP file with no META-INF folder it will "laugh in your face."

Alvis

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice I figured I'd get flamed..... but I'm a noob so I deserve it I guess lol but my curiosity exceeds me, is creating that folder with those scripts rocket science?

picasticks

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice I figured I'd get flamed..... but I'm a noob so I deserve it I guess lol but my curiosity exceeds me, is creating that folder with those scripts rocket science?
Pick your favorite ROM, unzip it and look at the update-script, it's just a text file. (META-INF/com/google/android/update-script or something like it ... not near any Android stuff atm). Then you can judge for yourself how complicated it is.

It's not rocket science but it does take a little while to learn.

If you were going to create a flashable zip, you only create the update-script manually. All the other stuff in META-INF is generated automatically when you sign the zip file.

If your goal is just to take a few apks and install them into /system/app, there are a lot of easier ways to do that than creating a flashable zip. i.e. use adb, or just copy the files into /system/app. i.e.

mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
cp /sdcard/file.apk /system/app/
mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

Reactions: Alvis

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Rocket science... no. Without knowing how its rocket science. Remember what gi Joe says.. " and knowing is half the battle ... ggg. III. Joee!!! " and btw. Flame was given but help u will get. Sarcasm and snarkness... yes. At least u want to know how things work. :p

Alvis

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys :) I guess ill go mess around with adb and some other schnapps before getting into scripts thanks for the advice, this is why I love this forum

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys :) I guess ill go mess around with adb and some other schnapps before getting into scripts thanks for the advice, this is why I love this forum
Take my advise... get into the code... the more the better. U don't need an easy button

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I press the easy button, but I wanna know what the gnomes are doing inside as well ;P And its not a noob question at all. I had the exact same question about flashable zips.

Alvis

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
so i just messed with the udater-script file and got a .apk so im gonna see if i did everything right brbgonnaflash

edit:eek:k here we go :3

edit:backing up right now xD justtt to be safeeeeee

edit:...i did it! but it said verification of signature failed or something -.- so i just toggled the script verification

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non