No ESPN text alerts for Sprint.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Now that Sprint is raising their prices for companies to use their text service, ESPN has cut off free text alerts for us.

Does anyone know another service or an app that gives text alerts for sports news/teams? I prefer text alerts as opposed to opening an app, but that is just me.

Thanks.

Mav. :cool:

Sparty73

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I haven't looked at Sports Tap, but any app that offers alerts will assuredly be on the "must have" list of apps for Sprint sports fans.

I'm hoping ESPN gets to providing push notifications for ScoreCenter, especially considering the iOS version of that app has 'em.

GBR_Disco

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully I can find a way to have it come through my gtalk account. If not what will I do on saturdays and sundays durring football season guess I'll actually have to watch all those games.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Both good suggestions.

I liked ESPN as it gave news, trades, rumors, firings, hirings, etc along with scores in their texts.

Thanks.

jimt1029

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Google Scoreboard Widget is another app to get basic updates. Pretty configurable (teams, frequency of notifications, how often to updated). Doesn't seem too bad on my battery either.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The only way to get it changed is to call Sprint and whomever you can to put pressure on Sprint. Even then it might not make a difference, but certainly if people don't express their displeasure to Sprint, they won't make any changes.

They recently gave in on the Gold/Silver Premiere upgrades that they took away from people on 4/1/11.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know of or has (successfully) tried one of the free texting apps that give you your own phone number to see if you can continue to get text alerts from ESPN?

I see apps like "textPlus Free" "Textfree" and "HeyWire" that offer this.
They give you a seperate phone number to use for texting.

If one works, this would be a nice little workaround to still be able to get info from ESPN.

Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress