Temporary Wifi Only Device

Wash Your Bowl

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I'm in Europe for a month and I want to use my Optimus S as a wifi only device while I'm here and I cannot under any circumstance connect to a cellular network because the roaming charges would be absurd.
I tried putting it into airplane mode and turning on wifi but I haven't been able to use any wifi networks. I can connect to wifi networks but when I try and use an internet application it tells me I failed to connect. I'm guessing wifi is disabled as well in airplane mode.
Just a note, my phone is rooted with Reborn ROM installed.
I tried searching but I couldn't find anything concrete. Anyone know how I could do this? Is there a specific rom I could install for while I'm here?

Bendroid55

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
If you put your phone in airplane mode it disables all wireless communications, wifi won't work. Go into settings and turnoff mobile networks, this only shuts off the cell radio.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I know aospCMod and Scott Pilgrim CM7 both offer a way to toggle international data on and off. I would think that if you see your phone only to connect to "Home Network" without enableing any roaming or international roaming, that should be what you want. You would most likely want to toggle airplane on when not actually using wifi otherwise battery drain may be a little steep.

captmeach7

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the aospCMod and if i turn on airplane mode with widgetsoid and then turn on wifi it still connects to the wifi network and i can browse the net. Thought about trying Groove IP for Wifi calling because Sprint is down here right now and I need a phone.

Queueyou

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the aospCMod and if i turn on airplane mode with widgetsoid and then turn on wifi it still connects to the wifi network and i can browse the net. Thought about trying Groove IP for Wifi calling because Sprint is down here right now and I need a phone.
I've used the phone on thunderom and others with airplane mode on (which does turn it all off) and then turned on wifi (which only enables wifi) with no issues.

I know it doesn't help, but at least confirms it 'should' work the way your saying (pending which rom your using etc, and it may become a question for that rom's author)

egon10psi

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I am rooted with Reborn Rom....

I am going to cabo in 4 days...I will have WIFI in the lobby and I want to do this google talk trick and be able to check my email and call home for free. It would really help if I didnt have to take my laptop.

How would i do that with Reborn?? thanks

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I am rooted with Reborn Rom....

I am going to cabo in 4 days...I will have WIFI in the lobby and I want to do this google talk trick and be able to check my email and call home for free. It would really help if I didnt have to take my laptop.

How would i do that with Reborn?? thanks

I'm on reborn myself and I just confirmed it's just a matter of setting it in the right order.

Go into settings and turn on airplane mode, this will disable everything; enable wifi again, should be right underneath airplane mode

egon10psi

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok thats easy enough....now I have not ever used google talk before but im assuming Ill still be able to go into that app and dial out??

can someone walk me through this process?

egon10psi

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Double Checking one last time...

So when i leave the started i need to do the following....

1.Put the phone into airplane mode

2. Then turn wifi on

3. Then use google voice

Then i should be able to call home with wifi service and not be charged??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa