Ice Cream Sandwich is rolling out now via OTA!

bigk

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to let every one know that that verizon is pushing two, yes two updates to the LG Spectrum today (Oct 24, 2012). The first update just updates the software version to VS920V6B, which still contains gingerbread (2.3.6). I'm assuming this first update just prepares the phone for the second update. Then after downloading and installing that update just go to settings > About phone > Software Update. That will start the second update which will contain Android Ice Cream Sandwich. Be prepared that both updates take a while (specially the second one) to download over 3g.

Also if they update fails to download, for some reason like on my 3g connection it kept dropping out at 45% ish percent. So, I downloaded the "LG mobile support tool". Which can be found here: http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-VS920

This is a program you download to your computer and then you plug your phone in and update it through your home internet. With the ICS update clocking in at 570mb according to the lg tool, it's making the process go a lot faster then if I were to do it over 3g on verizon's network.

Bigk

Last edited:

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the same way. 597MB vs 390MB seems like a RUU update vs the OTA. Either way I like being able to disable all the bloatware.

jimmymac1972

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Just updated my Spectrum to ICS and am EXTREMELY happy with it. It's like a completely different device. I could not get it downloaded over the network so did it manually. Works like a charm. Was getting disappointed with the phone but wow, what a difference this made. Thanks BigK. That is exactly what I did. It was frustrating because the dl kept error 503'ing. Then used the LG tool on my PC.

besamp

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Completely agree with "jimmymac1972". The spectrum IS like a completely different device with this upgrade!!! I had no issues upgrading over the Verizon Network.

My only issue is a blank white screen in the EMAIL APP where I should be seeing a list of EMAILS. I removed and recreated all accounts to no avail. If anyone knows of an EMAIL fix, let me know!!!

corki2

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm very pleased as well. It's a complete overhaul. I really love the interface and cool additions that I previously had to buy apps for. Battery percentage, sms popups, customizable dock icons to name a few. LG has done a beautiful job theming it. I've always reverted to 3rd party launchers on my Droid X and Rezound because I was not thrilled with their stock themes. I love the look of this stock. I wasn't expecting it to be this good given how awful GB looked.

I did a hard reset the day before the update and immediately after. I have not had any issues.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

besamp

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I fixed my issue with the "blank white screen in the EMAIL APP". I got the idea from "corki2"'s post. I realized that I had not doe a hard reset as is sometimes recommended. Wit that in mind I 1) cleared cache and then 2) cleared data from the EMAIL APP. The next time I launched the EMAIL app it simply asked for my email password and then synced all my emails. Al other APPS seem to work fine. No issue here and am highly pleased with this update and this phone.

smileycat360

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I’ve been trying to download Ice Cream Sandwhich all morning, but I keep getting constant errors. First time I tried downloading Ice Cream Sandwhich with wifi/3G on and it crashed at 2% so I kept restarting it until the 10th time I finally plugged my phone into the charger and turned on 4G. It got to 54% before it crashed and I had to restart again. I went into app settings and cleared data for Google Services like someone on another forum suggested, but no help. My phone is fully charged and has 3 out of 5 bars. I took the battery out, SIM card, and SD card out then tried again. I finally just tried the LG Mobile Tool for Windows 7 - let me just say NIGHTMARE. My phone ended up with no home screen, no apps, and no 3G! I had to to do a hard reset and now am trying to install ICS again through phone. VZN support said they would have an update for my issue in 3 to 3 weeks like wtf. Why is it crashing so much? I have nothing running in the background.

bigk

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I finally just tried the LG Mobile Tool for Windows 7 - let me just say NIGHTMARE. My phone ended up with no home screen, no apps, and no 3G! I had to to do a hard reset and now am trying to install ICS again through phone. VZN support said they would have an update for my issue in 3 to 3 weeks like wtf.

This LG tool worked fine for me. I would do a factory reset (after backing up your data) on your phone and then just go to the link and download the drivers, EVEN THOUGH windows may already have the drivers if you plugged your phone in to look at the SD card on your computer, you still need to install the drivers from LG. After doing that, install the LG tool and follow the instructions that are provided.
I'm confused as to how it was a nightmare. When I first did it I figured "Well windows already has the drivers for my phone." and then just installed the lg tool only to find the lg tool couldn't find my phone when plugged in. So, I found that I HAVE TO install the drivers off the support page for that tool to even see my phone. Also your phone automatically switches to Ethernet when doing this. It must be the lg tool doing this because I currently don't pay for mobile hot spot.
For some reason I couldn't get the update to fully download the patch over 3g, it for some reason would it cut the download off after 40% - 45% and quit. I have no idea why, and after 3-4 times I got tired of it and went on the lg support page to find this tool available and wow is it a lot faster over the home internet then 3g.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87