Some cases don't work with V10 fingerprint reader. Name your case and if it works or not.

BBerry2ADroid

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Incipio case from T-Mobile (the black one, not the red one pictured earlier). The fingerprint scanner works some of the time. It works most of the time with the case off, but not 100%. I love the case. I want the phone protected, so I can live with a little inconvenience until a software patch is released.

Tempered glass from ZAGG would be great.

anon(430799)

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I just received a new Otter Box Defender for my V10 and have the same issue. Previously I had the Incipio one which had this issue thinking the Otter box would be better. Its not. IMO its not a software issue as much as a hardware/static electricity issue. If I plug a USB cord into the charger Port and hold the other end in my hand(grounding the phone) both cases work fine with the fps.

I don't know how LG could possibly fix that with software or anything short of correcting whatever design flaw there is and replacing phones already purchased.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how LG could possibly fix that with software or anything short of correcting whatever design flaw there is and replacing phones already purchased.

I'm just making things up here, because I don't know how the fingerprint reader work or what the problem is.

Having said that, suppose the fingerprint reader can be tuned to work better if it works in a higher power mode. In that case, they would set it up to draw as little power as they thought it needed to get good results. If issue turns out to be that they tuned the firmware slightly too low, it could be that holding the side rails might push it over the edge. In that case, a slightly higher amount of power might fix it for everyone.

Like I said, I don't know if this is the case, but it does illustrate a way that a software change could fix what appears to be a hardware problem.

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Picked up a matte black tpu from Verizon for $20 when I got my V10 yesterday. Zero issues using the fingerprint scanner with the case on. I'd like to see LG update the software and use a simple scan to unlock the phone when the screens off just like the new Nexus phones but I won't hold my breath.

Edit: I re-scanned my finger prints with the case on and added in extra scans for my left and right index finger as well for good measure. Shouldn't be needed but clearly LG didn't test this damn thing very well initially.

Attachments

• IMG_20151111_124320.jpg
    IMG_20151111_124320.jpg
    616.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Tony C1

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
When I returned my case to Verizon the other day the CSR went into the back and brought out all the other cases. For the most part all of them had issues one way or another. To us, it seemed LG's finger print sensor has a low tolerance when your finger is not flat or close to flat as possible when placed on the sensor. All the cases at the store caused your finger to be at an angle due to the thickness the case adds to the phone.

Don't know if this is fixable with software from LG by making their sensor more acceptable at reading finger prints at different angles or if case manufactures have to design their cases a little thinner (or a bigger opening near the power button).

Who knows though, just my .02

atremorer

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I just got me V10 two days ago. I was about to buy a case on Amazon, when I started notIcing the comments about the finger print reader not working. Finally, a review said that it is because you have to be touching the metal sides.

I've tried holding the phone so that I don't touch the sides, keeping the finger located in exactly the same spot, and then touching the sides. As soon as contact occurs with the steel, the phone will open.

Someone mentioned that there are bumper cases in Asia that allow for the needed contact. Anyone know how to get one?

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Got the Oblique case today. Fits well and does not interfere with fingerprint reader. I may end up running the phone naked but the case is fine.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I just got me V10 two days ago. I was about to buy a case on Amazon, when I started notIcing the comments about the finger print reader not working. Finally, a review said that it is because you have to be touching the metal sides.

I've tried holding the phone so that I don't touch the sides, keeping the finger located in exactly the same spot, and then touching the sides. As soon as contact occurs with the steel, the phone will open.

Someone mentioned that there are bumper cases in Asia that allow for the needed contact. Anyone know how to get one?

You can find these official LG bumper cases on Ebay. Shipping would be from China or South Korea.. and right now these cases are EXPENSIVE. (especially for just a bumper). White ones for $40 bucks, black/silver ones for like $50+. I'd really prefer a bumper, so I'll wait for these to come down in price, or until some 3rd party makers come up with them.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Electrical contact story is nonsense. I tried opening with FPR without touching sides. It worked. Today I got cheap Oblique 7.99 case in and the FPR works great with this case. No electrical contract needed. That is crap.

I also read review on DroidLife where the reviewed said Samsung FPR's are better since they unlock and open on just a press. I found on my V10 a press and hold on the power button does the same thing.

Ignore the electrical contact needed. Don't know how that got started. But I bet somewhere, probably the guy who used foil, there is someone laughing their **** off at the traction that nonsense has received.

Kdroid

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Electrical contact story is nonsense. I tried opening with FPR without touching sides. It worked. Today I got cheap Oblique 7.99 case in and the FPR works great with this case. No electrical contract needed. That is crap.

I also read review on DroidLife where the reviewed said Samsung FPR's are better since they unlock and open on just a press. I found on my V10 a press and hold on the power button does the same thing.

Ignore the electrical contact needed. Don't know how that got started. But I bet somewhere, probably the guy who used foil, there is someone laughing their **** off at the traction that nonsense has received.
I agree with this. T-mobile version and both the incipo and oblique work without issue.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Picked up a matte black tpu from Verizon for $20 when I got my V10 yesterday. Zero issues using the fingerprint scanner with the case on. I'd like to see LG update the software and use a simple scan to unlock the phone when the screens off just like the new Nexus phones but I won't hold my breath.

Edit: I re-scanned my finger prints with the case on and added in extra scans for my left and right index finger as well for good measure. Shouldn't be needed but clearly LG didn't test this damn thing very well initially.

Nice looking case. :)

MannyB

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I just received a new Otter Box Defender for my V10 and have the same issue. Previously I had the Incipio one which had this issue thinking the Otter box would be better. Its not. IMO its not a software issue as much as a hardware/static electricity issue. If I plug a USB cord into the charger Port and hold the other end in my hand(grounding the phone) both cases work fine with the fps.

I just received the same case today and have the same problem. After unsuccessfully trying to unlock with the originally saved fingerprints, I deleted those and tried to set my fingerprint again with the new case on the phone, but no dice.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how many times this needs to be repeated. Its not about the cases, its about the phones.

Some phones work with all cases, some phones don't work with any case. To date, no one has reported that they work with some cases and not with others.

msn619

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I can't link anything it says error I need to do 10 post or something like that but I was going to link amazon, I got my bumper in korea 2 weeks ago when I visited, on amazon its expensive they go for $35USD.

Carter Whitten

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
I got the Incipio Dual Pro as well and found that the FPS only works without the case. Additionally the smaller screen option for one-handed operation is also impeded by the case. This feature is activated when swiping either right-to-left or left-to-right across the bottom home/back/recent apps keys, but the case renders it unusable on the whole.:-\

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty