Qi charging V10 ?

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
For those of you who have set up your V10 (or any other phone for that matter) with wireless Qi charging, are you happy with the upgrade? Any overall comments, do's and dont's...etc?

1) What charging pad are you using?
2) What caseback or DIY coil decal are you using?
3) What charge pad are you using?
4) Are you using a case?, if so how thick is it and does it interfere with charging?

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a V10, but the Otterbox Defender (a pretty thick case) doesn't seem to interfere with Qi charging. I've been doing it for over a year with a cheap charging pad.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
awesome thanks!!

So I guess the real question here is this:

LG wants ~$65 for their charge coil equipped case back and Samsung wants $50 for their Qi charging pads. Is there any technical / reason to spend that kind of dough?

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
$25.00 will get you in the "charging club"....
I use these items and they work just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Protector-Wireless-Charging-Receiver/dp/B018IMM6IK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463346432&sr=8-1&keywords=lg+v10+leather+back
http://www.amazon.com/PowerBot-Enabled-Wireless-Charger-Smartphones/dp/B00F6SPYJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463346607&sr=8-1&keywords=bot+wireless
awesome thanks!!

So I guess the real question here is this:

LG wants ~$65 for their charge coil equipped case back and Samsung wants $50 for their Qi charging pads. Is there any technical / reason to spend that kind of dough?

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the wireless charging accessories are worth buying unless you go to Starbucks a lot. Even then it's still probably not worth it. For example at home, why would you plug a power cord into a wireless charger and them put the phone on the wireless charger when you could just connect it directly to a fast charger and get it fully charged so much quicker? Wireless or fast charging....I'll take fast charging any day. Maybe if you had wireless pads everywhere where you don't want to carry USB cords such as train terminals, a lot more restaurants and other places besides Starbucks it might make sense to buy. For now, I'll invest my cash in fast USB chargers and spare battery/cradle combos for the same money.

Posted via the Android Central App

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I don't think the wireless charging accessories are worth buying unless you go to Starbucks a lot. Even then it's still probably not worth it. For example at home, why would you plug a power cord into a wireless charger and them put the phone on the wireless charger when you could just connect it directly to a fast charger and get it fully charged so much quicker? Wireless or fast charging....I'll take fast charging any day. Maybe if you had wireless pads everywhere where you don't want to carry USB cords such as train terminals, a lot more restaurants and other places besides Starbucks it might make sense to buy. For now, I'll invest my cash in fast USB chargers and spare battery/cradle combos for the same money.

Posted via the Android Central App

Its about having a choice. For $20-25 I can afford to give myself the option. I already have 3 batteries and the LG charging cradle. They also make battery banks with Qi charging coils built into them... so that's another option. I also question the long term durability of this micro USB connector. It just feels so flimsy and frail. So if I can alleviate wear and tear that... all the better.

There are times I really don't need a fast charge, and wireless convenience (I think) could be more practical.

Thanks all for your replies!!

Last edited:

Brjlk

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
For those of you who have set up your V10 (or any other phone for that matter) with wireless Qi charging, are you happy with the upgrade? Any overall comments, do's and dont's...etc?

1) What charging pad are you using?
2) What caseback or DIY coil decal are you using?
3) What charge pad are you using?
4) Are you using a case?, if so how thick is it and does it interfere with charging?

I have a 3-coils Choetech charging pad, and it even charges my Samsung 9.7 tab with a thick case. Always prefer one with 3 coils.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5212581

dwmitchell61

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
I use the Qi charging back from LG with the charging pad from my Nokia 920.
The charging back is shaped different, so my wallet case I got through Verizon for $65 no longer fits.

O-B-1
Posted via the Android Central App from my Verizon LG V10

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Just an update...

I have been using this Qi enabled case back:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5223638

and this charging pad:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5223638

Very happy with the results. Works fine with my otterbox defender too. Best $23 I have ever spent on Amazon. I used my cousins OEM Samsung Qi charge pad (the non-fast charge model) for a weekend and honestly could not tell any difference.

THANKS to all who replied.

NCGolfer

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure if there is a better thread to ask this in but here goes...

I purchased a cheap (<$20) leather Qi enabled case back off ebay earlier this year. This worked fine on the LG puck I was using with my G2. Recently my son-in-law got a Samsung Edge and the wireless charging base (circular, but on a base which allows for propping the phone up on an angle). When I put my V10 on it nothing happened... it wasn't detected and wouldn't charge. This confused me as I assumed Qi is Qi. Regardless, I liked the phone sitting at an angle while charging so I got onto Amazon and ordered a Turbot 3 coil charger. Again, the V10 would not charge. I get a flashing blue/green light but it won't connect. The G2 works just fine on it (and the Samsung). I figured it must be the cheap leather back, so I ordered a Qi antenna and installed it on the original back that came with the V10. No joy. I returned the Turbot and just ordered a TYLT VU 3, as I've read numerous V10 users having success with this charger. Hopefully this will solve the problem but I would really like to understand why a Qi enabled phone sitting on a Qi charger wouldn't work. Two different charging bases, two different backs... and still the only charging base that works is the original LG puck. Can anyone shed some light on what might be going on? Thanks...

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if there is a better thread to ask this in but here goes...

I purchased a cheap (<$20) leather Qi enabled case back off ebay earlier this year. This worked fine on the LG puck I was using with my G2. Recently my son-in-law got a Samsung Edge and the wireless charging base (circular, but on a base which allows for propping the phone up on an angle). When I put my V10 on it nothing happened... it wasn't detected and wouldn't charge. This confused me as I assumed Qi is Qi. Regardless, I liked the phone sitting at an angle while charging so I got onto Amazon and ordered a Turbot 3 coil charger. Again, the V10 would not charge. I get a flashing blue/green light but it won't connect. The G2 works just fine on it (and the Samsung). I figured it must be the cheap leather back, so I ordered a Qi antenna and installed it on the original back that came with the V10. No joy. I returned the Turbot and just ordered a TYLT VU 3, as I've read numerous V10 users having success with this charger. Hopefully this will solve the problem but I would really like to understand why a Qi enabled phone sitting on a Qi charger wouldn't work. Two different charging bases, two different backs... and still the only charging base that works is the original LG puck. Can anyone shed some light on what might be going on? Thanks...

The first indication of a potential problem is that you're using a 3rd party Qi back, which as far as I've heard and experienced myself doesn't work for crap. The V10, like the G4 before it also has the defective Qi chip, which I believe was fixed with an update with a chip that doesn't host such problems with the previous one. Only thing is no one knows exactly which V10's have the new hardware. Hell, I can only assume that mine is part of the revised batch because Qi wireless charging with my phone works splendidly, aside from the quirk which requires you to set the phone down on a non-oem 3 coil wireless charger slightly offset from the center due to the location of the Qi coils on the back. Helps that I have the official CPR-120 back from LG though.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
In fairness, I have used various aftermarket charging inserts/backs for the G3, G4 and now the V10 and they all have worked very well with no issues.
I have various wireless chargers in the house, office and car and they all work just fine.

The first indication of a potential problem is that you're using a 3rd party Qi back, which as far as I've heard and experienced myself doesn't work for crap. The V10, like the G4 before it also has the defective Qi chip, which I believe was fixed with an update with a chip that doesn't host such problems with the previous one. Only thing is no one knows exactly which V10's have the new hardware. Hell, I can only assume that mine is part of the revised batch because Qi wireless charging with my phone works splendidly, aside from the quirk which requires you to set the phone down on a non-oem 3 coil wireless charger slightly offset from the center due to the location of the Qi coils on the back. Helps that I have the official CPR-120 back from LG though.

NCGolfer

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I originally thought it was probably the cheap leather back, but that is why I then went and bought a reputable Qi antenna, except that didn't help either. Further, I would have expected a 2-3 year old Qi 'puck' charger to be less capable than current 3-coil chargers, yet the old puck worked and the two new chargers did not. I thought about purchasing the CPR-120 back, but figured I could return the Turbot and order the VU with minimal extra cost (the cheap leather back was off ebay and months old and the antenna was already installed so impossible to return).

Now for the surprise, and the source of my confusion - the VU is working wonderfully. It is fast charging, is very friendly in terms of placement on the pad and Ampere is reporting very high mA values. So now the question is - what is the difference between the VU charger and the Turbot and Samsung chargers? Standard interfaces were supposed to prevent this type of problem. Seems Qi charging is very erratic in terms of what works and what doesn't.

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I tried a couple of different bases, bought a replacement back with a Qi sticker already installed (Not OEM), and then tried a sticker which I put in the original back. The best result I got was with the replacement back. The phone would connect to the puck but would barely charge. With the sticker all it would do is show connected and not charge. I gave up and stopped throwing money at it. For my money it is just as easy to spend a few seconds fumbling with the charging cable than spending the time moving my phone around the puck to get the correct position to charge at half the speed if I'm lucky (I wasn't). Of course I don't live in an area where businesses have charging pucks everywhere to use for free like some of the big cities so I might feel different if I had a reason like that to use one.

NCGolfer

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I do see a small difference between the cheap leather back and the original back with reputable Qi antenna connected, but honestly, it seems to be the base that makes all the difference. Indeed, neither back works at all on the Samsung or the Turbot bases, both work fine on the VU. So, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm still looking for some thoughts on WHY that would be when all three bases are Qi 3-coil bases.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
That is strange, considering that the chargung bases that don't work are reputable.
I have been doing the wireless charging thing since the Galaxy S3 (aftermarket sticker). I have accumulated several charging bases (Nokia, Powerbot, etc.) and have them everywhere...literally. Anywhere I am in the house I can drop my V10 down and get a charge. Even have a Powerbot car adapter. Some of these I purchased on Amazon for less than $10 and they have always worked regardless of the wireless back or sticker. The only thing that I have found that makes any difference is the placement of the sticker, it has to be dead perfect to get consistent performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs