Why are random apps uninstalling themselves?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Lg v10 1 year old
Stock Android 6.0
Kernel 3.10.84
Apps like my podcast app, youtube, gboard, and now google play app store are gone. Until app store disappeared I was just reinstalling. The only thing I can think of is recently I installed an app called aptotide from the first site google brings up and I thought it was an issue with trying to update and failing. So I uninstalled it and nothing. Any suggestions? I've tried reseting.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You mean Aptoide, right? Is the phone rooted? Assuming the phone came with the Play Store, Gboard, and YouTube preinstalled, you can't delete those apps unless the phone is rooted. Do they still show up in Settings>Apps​?

James Holmes4

Oct 4, 2018
Visit site
Yes Aptoide. Unrooted. Gboard was in settings and I cleared cache and force stopped and its back now available to use. But no luck with Google play app store. YouTube's gone now too. It's not just Google apps though podcast addict deleted too. Short of factory reset I have no idea how to stop this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Show System​, and see if those apps show up, but labeled as Disabled.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you tell us what site you downloaded the Aptoide apk from? It sounds like it might have included something that is somehow removing or hiding the Play Store and/or Play Services (which, in an unrooted phone, would be pretty concerning -- I'd guess it requires some system root-level hacking, almost like it's malware).

Just to be sure, run a root checker app to make sure the phone isn't rooted.

ozron

Oct 11, 2018
Visit site
As Diddy mentions above, it seems like the actions of malware. There are some nowadays that can root your phone & then uninstall themselves after opening ports or whatever, so even when a root check comes up clean you may have been compromised. Also, check your Google account, any log ins from unknown devices which may confirm you have been hacked, or maybe just someone just doing it from there without rooting you (though not sure if you can uninstall Play store remotely like normal apps) If you have been hacked assume they know ALL your passwords (any sign your other devices have been infected) reflash ROM (factory reset may not be enough if they are in system) and router firmware