A Conversation from the LG Board Room about the V20

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Person 1: How can we put out a device that everyone will talk about, but only for 24 hours and then ensure no one will ever purchase it?

Person 2: Oh I know! Do a small release event, don't give enough details and never tell anyone when or where they'll be able to buy it!

Person 3: No... I don't think that's enough

Person 2: We could do it the day before the iPhone launch!

Person 1: By jove, you've done it! Well put sir!

Person 3: What if we never even put it on sale? At least, we shouldn't in Europe ... we certainly wouldn't, right?

Person 1: You've missed the point. Not giving any details and doing it the day before the iPhone launch is the exact same thing as never putting it on sale! Either way we'll sell zero!

Person 2: i r awesome, where be my bonus?

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
709f96577e6166385cad1671721b34ed.gif

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Person 1: How can we put out a device that everyone will talk about, but only for 24 hours and then ensure no one will ever purchase it?

Person 2: Oh I know! Do a small release event, don't give enough details and never tell anyone when or where they'll be able to buy it!

Person 3: What if we never even put it on sale? At least, we shouldn't in Europe ... we certainly wouldn't, right?

Person 1: You've missed the point. Not giving any details and doing it the day before the iPhone launch is the exact same thing as never putting it on sale! Either way we'll sell zero!

Funny but should be merged with my doomed to fail thread.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Lol well put not sure what they did yesterday. No release details, just handed out review units I guess.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Though I agree that they handled it in a weird way I don't think they care about Apple. I mean anyone waiting for the iPhone is going to pretty much wait for the iPhone regardless. In the same vain as I'm not buying an iPhone not matter what because i just don't like their ecosystem. The only impact would be on the undecided.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Though I agree that they handled it in a weird way I don't think they care about Apple. I mean anyone waiting for the iPhone is going to pretty much wait for the iPhone regardless. In the same vain as I'm not buying an iPhone not matter what because i just don't like their ecosystem. The only impact would be on the undecided.

Oh I agree, the narrative is 100% satire. I think there are VERY few people that are undecided between the iPhone 7 Plus and the V20.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Lol you kinda nailed it here. I just don't feel like they thought this event all the way through. It was a late event and even the people interested had to do some digging to find out when and how to watch the event. You just don't do that to your target base. Not sure how I feel about them doing a Facebook live event either. The stream wasn't the clearest. Worst of all they left us with questions about release dates and pricing. You have to give either one or the other of you're going to launch a flagship less than 24hours before an Apple event. Not only do we know when the iPhone 7/Plus can be ordered, but consumers only have to wait a week. As much as I've been stayed away from Apple products I have to admit they know how to launch a product. They have partners. They have great ads. They know how to sell you on something even if they may be getting over on you and that's the annoying part that comes with an Apple product. Having said that LG just didn't sell us on it enough. I mean I'm sold on the V20 on the basis of being a new LG fan and owner of the V10 but I think they could've cast their nets a little further with the V20. The design is fine for me but it won't be winning any design awards this year and they need to sell this to the people who don't need all the tech packed into it. They do have the content creators covered though. There's not one other phone made that can do what the V20 will do without special apps and extra hardware parts. I really hope it sells well cause I'd like to see where they go next but if/when I end up getting the V20, I will not be upgrading for a while. It seems future proof enough to be relevant 2-3 years from now. Now while we are left in the dark, LG needs some seriously good marketing in the meantime.

Last edited: